Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alvernal23

Methot Injury - Gloves

I'm sure everyone has seen the Crosby slash on Methot and the finger injury.  I was watching a sports show and the topic of glove protection came up.  One of the hosts mentioned that NHL players have been complaining about the lack of finger protection with one brand, but declined to say which one.  Does anyone know what brand it is?  Definitely not the best marketing for Warrior coming away with a severed finger.

10 minutes ago, alvernal23 said:

I'm sure everyone has seen the Crosby slash on Methot and the finger injury.  I was watching a sports show and the topic of glove protection came up.  One of the hosts mentioned that NHL players have been complaining about the lack of finger protection with one brand, but declined to say which one.  Does anyone know what brand it is?  Definitely not the best marketing for Warrior coming away with a severed finger.

Was it Jeff Marek?

Pretty sure Methot wears Warrior AX1 gloves. Now, they're pro spec so they may be completely different from the retail versions. I think it was a freak incident and could've happened no matter what gloves he was wearing. Personally, I own two pairs of Warrior Projekt gloves (both 2010 and 2012 models) along with 2 high end models from other brands (Miken and Easton) and I feel the Warrior gloves are more protective than the other gloves I own. Here at the Methot gloves:

MS1380950.jpg

I find that most commentators know absolutely nothing about current equipment and their comments are misinformed 99% of the time. 

I cringe every time I hear the old "maybe they should go back to wood" shtick every time a stick breaks, or comments on these "new" composite sticks- the UltraLite and Z Bubble are older than some guys playing in the league at the moment. 

29 minutes ago, alvernal23 said:

Yes!  Could not find the clip before posting and gave up after 10 minutes :)

He has no clue what he is talking about. I've listen to him on podcasts before talk and I cringed every time he'd bring up equipment. Methot's finger was probably pinched at the end of the glove (where there is no padding, the gusset specifically) and the stick hence it cutting the finger tip off since it got stuck between a stick and his stick.

27 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Pretty sure Methot wears Warrior AX1 gloves. Now, they're pro spec so they may be completely different from the retail versions. I think it was a freak incident and could've happened no matter what gloves he was wearing. Personally, I own two pairs of Warrior Projekt gloves (both 2010 and 2012 models) along with 2 high end models from other brands (Miken and Easton) and I feel the Warrior gloves are more protective than the other gloves I own. Here at the Methot gloves:

MS1380950.jpg

Those are actually rebranded Franchises fyi.

Just now, Hills said:

Those are actually rebranded Franchises fyi.

That makes sense. I thought they looked like Franchises when I first looked, but then saw the AX1 badge. I'm much more familiar with anatomical/tapered gloves and don't pay close attention to the 4-roll style gloves as I prefer to use form fitting gloves (at least in the fingers and back roll - a tapered glove that opens in the cuff area isn't an issue).  

17 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

I find that most commentators know absolutely nothing about current equipment and their comments are misinformed 99% of the time. 

I cringe every time I hear the old "maybe they should go back to wood" shtick every time a stick breaks, or comments on these "new" composite sticks- the UltraLite and Z Bubble are older than some guys playing in the league at the moment. 

Thanks, had me interested that he had heard so much feedback about a brand having finger protection issues.  Have a few pairs of gloves (Warrior and Easton) and was trying to figure out what he was talking about?

Pros are able to modify their gloves in terms inserts, foam density, shot blockers/finger wraps et al, across all of the major brands.

The major brands also have multiple pro level/top of the line models with varying levels of protection, so I find it hard to believe a sweeping generalization like that has any validity whatsoever. 

Yes, it was Marek, and he was talking about Warrior gloves. In his defense, in the times I've heard him talk about the gloves, he wasn't offering his opinion, but rather relaying what other players (junior/pros not beer leaguers) were telling him they didn't like about the gloves, specifically protection in the fingers

In defense of Warrior gloves (and I use that same model), Methot was slashed on his bottom hand (he's a left shot so left hand) as he was releasing that hand to bring it up the shaft of his stick.

He was slashed on the palm side of the glove's finger, where gloves don't have protection.  Crosby knew where he was targeting.

Funny you brought this up cause I was thinking about this went the incident happened. The 3 major hand injuries this season, atleast what we hear of in the Canadian market, have been Warrior players(Gaudreau, Gallagher, and now Methot) and got me thinking is this a coincidence? Or is it actually the manufacture? 

Its highly possible they were all just freak accidents or maybe these 3 all use the same foams and plastics in their gloves, but then I was thinking Crosby or Matthews or McDavid or any other high ranked player probably take an excessive amount of "taps" to the hands and we almost never hear any thing about this. Even with the Gallagher incident being a slap shot to the hand, this happens atleast once a game with no problems but this has happened to him twice.  

If you're talking about Marek's comments on the hockey central radio show that is  simulcast on the NHL network, he never mentioned a brand, and said that players complained about the lack of knuckle protection when fingers were bent. I dont buy that an NHL player would risk injury and their livelihood over gloves they felt were unsafe just to get a free set of golf clubs or whatever for wearing a given brand.  

They then went on to pass around a pair of Easton M5 gloves and say they were "pro level protection" or something along those lines. 

Crosby's slash comes square in on the finger, not from above. No amount of inserts or padding or steel plates in the top of the glove is going to protect the gussets or palms. Sports can be dangerous. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. 

10 hours ago, alvernal23 said:

Yes!  Could not find the clip before posting and gave up after 10 minutes :)

First vid when I YouTube search "Methot injury" (sorry about the thumbnail I had nothing to do with that, and do not know how to nerf the hyperlink)

15 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Ah...good ole Jack Edwards.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:05 PM, start_today said:

If you're talking about Marek's comments on the hockey central radio show that is  simulcast on the NHL network, he never mentioned a brand, and said that players complained about the lack of knuckle protection when fingers were bent.

He didn't mention a specific brand this time around, but I remember back when Gaudreau's injury happened Marek specifically named Warrior as the brand he had heard players expressing concerns about.