Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nhockey

What to Look for in Girls Coach?

After the state tournament this year the girls varsity coach announced that he wouldn't be able to coach anymore. So the organization is looking for a new coach, who would double up as developing the girls program as a whole (U14 and JV responsibilities as well). FWIW, I thought the outgoing coach was a great technical coach, though he clearly didn't understand that coaching girls is different than coaching boys (he had a hugely successful record with the boys varsity program). The association is asking parents to provide some input regarding what parents think a new coach should do (and I don't know how much, if any, of the input they will actually use).

My question then is what should a high school level coach that is charged with developing the girls program make as priority? Should there be an emphasis on technical skating, or discipline, or conditioning, or systems, or...?

Appreciate any thoughts.

3 hours ago, 2nhockey said:

he clearly didn't understand that coaching girls is different than coaching boys

What makes it different? 

On 4/22/2017 at 4:25 PM, IPv6Freely said:

What makes it different? 

It's the same with having daughters vs. sons. Brothers vs. sisters. Communication and emotional awareness are, in general, treated differently between the two sexes. Every team and player are unique unto its own. That being said, there is a different approach to coaching boys versus girls.

On 4/22/2017 at 4:25 PM, IPv6Freely said:

What makes it different? 

Girls is obviously less physical, and more based on chances off the rush from what  I've seen. Longer shifts and more north - south play.

Just finished coaching Beginners(boys and girls 4.5 to 10 years old) Mite B and U10 girls this season.

There is one huge difference between coaching boys and girls.

Girls are 100 times easier to coach..... because they listen.

On 4/23/2017 at 6:56 PM, Jamarquan said:

Girls is obviously less physical, and more based on chances off the rush from what  I've seen. Longer shifts and more north - south play.

Not based on what I saw at USAH nationals the past few years with my daughter's team. IMHO the girls game is MORE physical all around than the boys once you get out of "House-Rec" level and into Tier I\Tier II National bound level. They are not permitted to throw the big Hits that the boys do, but the girls game is all about speed, positioning, teamwork, and body contact. IMHO - Pound for pound they are tougher and more physical than the boys. 

I've coached on and off over the past 34 years from learn to play hockey programs up through High School Varsity, boys teams, girls teams, and mixed teams. I had girls on JV teams in the 1980's when you almost never saw it (at least in my area) and in the mid 1990's when it seems to have happened a bit more frequently. Based on coaching my daughter and having conversations with her and her team mates, in my experience the girls want to now "why" they are doing something. A coach has to be a good communicator (more so with girls). Yes, they listen but they also expect you to be able to explain it in a way they understand AND LISTEN TO THEIR feedback.  The coach WILL need be able to deal with drama because it WILL be there. As my daughter put it, "we can't help it we are wired that way."  .....  Some will say a female coach is better, I don't agree. A good coach is a good coach and I've seen good and bad female coaches (the same as I have seen good and bad male coaches).

Edit:

You can never get enough work on skating and individual skills. It does little good to push X's and O's when the team can't skate, carry the puck, or pass.

Thanks for the insights. Zebra - that's a nice summary I agree with after thinking about it. The communication and emotional connection must be there or the girls shut down. Also agree with the faster, more physical game as well.

The steering committee is meeting Wednesday and I am presenting some thoughts about recruiting and developing the girls program. Thanks for the thoughts, and if there are more, please do tell!