Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
flip12

Marsblade Ice Holder

Marsblade's released some videos showing off/testing his new ice holder. I've linked just the one, but you'll easily find the others if you follow it into the YouTube.

Some initial questions: "Nice soft turns" makes me think of the Custom+, how will this be different? How would it hold up under the wear and tear from game conditions? How does it perform in other aspects? Great if turns feel nice, but how is it to sprint in, pivot in, shoot, etc?

• Like 2

This should correct my faulty turning/ pivoting. I signed up for notifications, and I am IN! haha (but seriously, I am optimistic)

I watched a few of the videos.  It looks great. 

I was really hoping Pers was going to figure out a modular approach where the inline skates could be converted back to ice, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  It looks like a dedicated ice holder and appears different enough to not work with the inline chassis.  As a novice I was looking for a way to do both ice and dry land skating without needing 2 pairs of skates.  This system had the most promise for that capability. 

30 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

I do not get how those are different from the Tuuks or whatever? Do they do something that other holders do not. Flex somewhere or what?

It looks like a 2 piece holder if you will, the top part stays in place and then the bottom portion that connects to it has a sort of spring/cushion that moves with you during your stride, turns, etc.

4 minutes ago, the_game said:

It looks like a 2 piece holder if you will, the top part stays in place and then the bottom portion that connects to it has a sort of spring/cushion that moves with you during your stride, turns, etc.

It is a 2 piece system.  Just like his inline chassis.  Top part affixes to skate like a traditional holder.  Bottom part hold blade (or inline wheels) and has a degree of arch motion to it.  Ice holder appears to have a leaf spring, inline chassis uses a rubber bumper to control the motion of the 2 pieces.  Idea is that the blade/wheels stay in contact with the surface longer, while boot rotates slightly above.  Very similar in theory to a speed skating clap holder and blade. 

5 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

I do not get how those are different from the Tuuks or whatever? Do they do something that other holders do not. Flex somewhere or what?

• Like 1

This concept reminds me of a video featuring a Russian skating instructor telling you to rock your skates back and forth during turns.

i'm very excited about this.  Looking for new vh and the marsblade holder looks fantastic. 

Either all the reviews are full of people lying outright or there is something to this. 

Is this modification to the holder something that requires nhl approval to be allowed in games and if so what's the likelihood this will pass based on previous chNges to gear. 

I wonder about the effectiveness of this holder. I mean if we look at roller hockey, how many players use Marsblade chassis compared to fixed chassis? In speed skating, the clap skates are used in long track for better top speed but fixed blades are used in short track for better control. By automatically centering your weight over the blade, does it remove a certain degree of control, like an automatic transmission in a car makes it easier to drive but manual transmissions give the driver finer control for racing? Out of curiosity, I look forward to more reviews on this product.

Edited by Larry54

The Marsblade inline chassis is for 'training' not in game use. 

But speaking of inline, despite this new holder sounding intriguing I am always skeptical of moving parts being associated with a chassis or holder. I've been around long enough to see the quikchange or whatever it was called where you could swap holders from ice to inline, the rocker chassis, mission vibe chassis, & sprung chassis. All sounded good in theory but with the moving pieces it was only a time before something went wrong or broke.

• Like 4

Interesting concept. Between these holders and the Bladetech steel there's a whole lot of movement going on.  Curious how these will feel, and as mentioned above, how long the lifespan is on these. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Interesting concept. Between these holders and the Bladetech steel there's a whole lot of movement going on.  Curious how these will feel, and as mentioned above, how long the lifespan is on these. 

I was just coming to comment about the similarities between this and the Bladetech steel (that supposedly a handful of Caps players are using).  I actually just ordered a set of Bladetech blades for myself, their propaganda about being good for people with bad knees sold me on them (have had a full ACL replaced on one leg and the other knee is far from 100%, old age has def caught up with me) , also I was just intrigued with the whole concept.  Once I get them and try them I'll make sure to attempt a review of some sorts.

• Like 1

I'm still a little skeptical.  In the video above, Johansson is fawning over how great they are - yet he hasn't switch to use them.  That to me signals a disconnect.  Would Marsblade need to pay an NHL licensing fee or since their is no branding, would the be exempt? I guess if they have to pay the fee and don't currently have the cash, that could explain the disconnect.  

On another note - do the sound like t-blades to anyone else?

• Like 1

I wonder about the profile. if there is more blade in contact with the ice then what do you do with your profile. What about the ROH? I recently got my skates profiled and I have more blade in contact with the ice and it is screwing up my skating some. I opened my ROH all the way to 3/4 and having trouble stopping, chattering, but the blade slips when I push off some. 

I would love to try these though. 

Edited by HarpGuy

4 hours ago, HarpGuy said:

I wonder about the profile. if there is more blade in contact with the ice then what do you do with your profile. What about the ROH? I recently got my skates profiled and I have more blade in contact with the ice and it is screwing up my skating some. I opened my ROH all the way to 3/4 and having trouble stopping, chattering, but the blade slips when I push off some. 

I would love to try these though. 

My guess would be to try a longer profile, as the rotation in the holder seems to simulate a shorter rocker for those "smoother" / "easier" turns.

• Like 2

Anyone order these through the Kickstarter campaign that Per started?  Gotta admit, the thought of these on my True skates is exciting to me.  

i looked at backing one but they are like half the price of skates (to get them to the UK) i just wait for them to come to the UK store will give me time to read the review.Plus i don't think that you can put Step Steel or anything in them which i just got :/

The Kickstarter project was funded in less than 72 hours with the initial 300 holder offering! Now there are another 300 made available. I bought a pair for July 2018 delivery.

• Like 1

Very interesting concept, however wouldn't all that movement lead to loss in energy? by no means am I a physicist just curious if that wouldn't be the case.

In terms of the reviews and comments, I'd take those with a grain of salt. Whenever somebody has access to a free/heavily reduced price item that item seems to suddenly be the best product on the market since sliced bread in their eyes.

Price is a little high. The $499 package with the inline skates seems like a better deal than $239 for a pair of holders.

Seems like they sent holders to dozens of users who are all advocating it on social media. Is it really that good? 

I'd love to try it before committing.

2 hours ago, 02m3smg said:

Price is a little high. The $499 package with the inline skates seems like a better deal than $239 for a pair of holders.

Seems like they sent holders to dozens of users who are all advocating it on social media. Is it really that good? 

I'd love to try it before committing.

It helps that you get two sets of runners.  Still a little higher but I signed up.  Thing is im watching to see if they hit the 120 k goal. I need a size 5 and if they can’t hit that goal I need to back out. Size 5 is locked unless they hit 120 k

i heard somewhere that the rocker sticks don't if this is because of moisture or something.But i asked the question on there Facebook and they got back saying that there is no issue that they know off.

Too overpriced for what they are. Also strange that all the pros that endorse them  in those videos they have, don’t actually wear them. 

What kind of steel is it? You are limited to their proprietary runners it looks like. How will they hold up over time? Will moisture and rust inhibit movement of the runners in the holders? 

Also why would these be better than profiled steel? 

Seems like they will get more buys from players still learning the game that think this will improve them or just people with money.

Im currently needing new holders but will pass on these until they prove their worth