Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kesamj

Want to ditch my Superfeet

I've skated with Yellows for several years. Recently got new skates and while they fit perfectly with stock insoles, I feel like I'm going to fall on my rear. So, I put the Yellows in and my balance was restored(feel more on my toes) but the boot doesn't feel like it fits as well now. It's as if my heel is raised and can't lock in as well as it does with the stock insole. 

Is there anything I can do to get the same "on my toes" feeling that I get from Superfeet but without Superfeet? 

Thanks! 

Is there a specific value that I can request for profiling that would approximate the feel of Superfeet? +X degrees, millimeters, etc? There are limited options for sharpening around here(with varying reputations) so I'd like to know exactly what to ask for to see how they respond before I left them start grinding. 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, kesamj said:

Is there a specific value that I can request for profiling that would approximate the feel of Superfeet? +X degrees, millimeters, etc? There are limited options for sharpening around here(with varying reputations) so I'd like to know exactly what to ask for to see how they respond before I left them start grinding. 

Thanks! 

I'm in the same situation for profiling. Would be interested to know.

Maybe try re-baking the skates with the SF's this time to account or the slightly different positioning of your foot?  That might be a pretty easy thing to try out.

Profiling runners for pitch is basically moving the rocker forward or rearward in attempt to shift the perceived center of gravity. Moving the rocker backwards creates a positive pitch (towards the toes). I would say usually it is in mm. If you go that route which will help, you might need to do this a couple of times. Since you feel pretty big difference it should be safe to start with +2 or even +3. It is pretty impossible to predict, so you'll have to try and repeat. 

On 4/30/2017 at 0:38 PM, kesamj said:

I've skated with Yellows for several years. Recently got new skates and while they fit perfectly with stock insoles, I feel like I'm going to fall on my rear. So, I put the Yellows in and my balance was restored(feel more on my toes) but the boot doesn't feel like it fits as well now. It's as if my heel is raised and can't lock in as well as it does with the stock insole. 

Is there anything I can do to get the same "on my toes" feeling that I get from Superfeet but without Superfeet? 

Thanks! 

I had the same issue. I have Jetspeeds and they fit amazing with the stock insoles. I barely had to tighten them at all and my heel, and the rest of my foot, was perfectly locked in place. Perfect skates, but little arch support. I tried the Improved CCM insoles, and superfeet and I lost all of the heel lock, and couldn't skate as well. 

I put in speedplates and problem solved. The heel lock is still there, and I have all the support I need. Try that first before you mess with your profile. 

On 4/30/2017 at 9:44 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

Maybe try re-baking the skates with the SF's this time to account or the slightly different positioning of your foot?  That might be a pretty easy thing to try out.

FTR Superfeet are not meant to be baked. You can ruin them.

26 minutes ago, HarpGuy said:

I assumed he meant re-bake with no insoles and re-mold/cool around your feet with SF in instead of the stock insoles.  But agree, good word of caution on specificity.  Don't bake your SF. 

10 hours ago, HarpGuy said:

9 hours ago, krisdrum said:

I assumed he meant re-bake with no insoles and re-mold/cool around your feet with SF in instead of the stock insoles.  But agree, good word of caution on specificity.  Don't bake your SF. 

krisdrum, you assumed right :-) ... bake the skates not the insoles.  Sounds like the skates may have been baked, then molded/fit with the stock insoles, so now a new bake/mold using the SF's might realign everything.  It's probably the easiest and least extreme thing to try before grinding away any steel.