Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

matix218

Pro Level tech mesh Bauer skate durability?

Hi guys,

I have a question about other people's experience with durability on high end Bauer tech mesh skates.

I have a pair of the older (top of the line) Vapor X:60 LE skates.  I bought them very lightly used off of Ebay (barely any marks on them, likely less than half a season of use, barely any wear and no loss of stiffness) and have uses them myself for the past 3 years (at most 2 times per week on the ice for men's league and pick-up hockey).

I have noticed the past few weeks that they seemed to feel "soft" in the sidewalls.  I thought it was my imagination but after my game last night I realized that they have indeed gone very soft.  I can press in many areas of the side structure (specifically at the bottom where the foot rests) with ease and see it flex inward with little to no resistance.

Now I am only 5'-9", 150 lbs (not a big heavy guy) and I would think skating once or twice a week it would take a guy like me forever to break down a pro level stiff skate like this (and I also air them out without insoles after every skate as well).

My questions are, does this seem in line with everyone else's experience with Bauer's top end tech mesh skates durability/break-down wise?

I have a brand new still in the box pair of x7.0 skates (same exact tech mesh boot as the x:60 just newer) that I am going to use now, is this the same durability and longevity I can expect there as well (~3+ years tops)?

Are the Curve constructed skates much better from a durability  (specifically keeping their stiffness for a long time) standpoint when compared to the pro level techmesh boots?

It just seems a little over 3 years of a stiff usable skate is a bit ridiculous given the 700 ish retail price of these skates when new.  I used to keep skates for around 5 years easily and those were older leather type materials that certainly are more likely to retain moisture and break down.

Any feedback from other guys' experience? 

I am a BIG guy and I haven't experienced this. I had x60s for six years and nexus 7000 v-cut for 3. All still stiff.

Very odd.

I know it is not bad fit/wrong size or lacing them too loose or not airing them out or something like that cobtributing to premature breakdown (fit and size is spot on, i lace them snug, I air them out without footbeds).

One thing I do is I always lace them down 1 eyelet.  Could this contribute to this? 

Edit:  of course since they were used when I got them I dont 100% know their history but they were damn near pristine when I got them.

I did have them baked once myself though, possibly the previous owner had them baked once or twice and they were baked enough times to weaken the structure prematurely?

Not lacing them up all the way could lead to ankle pocket breakdown over a long period of time like in your case.

without knowing how many times the skates were baked it's hard to say. My skates became too water logged and heavy before they wore out.

Yeah I know that it could weaken the ankle structure over time but oddly enough even the forefoot (toward the bottom of the boot near where it meets the outsole but before the toebox starts) is even really soft now which I cant imagine could be from dropping an eyelet.  I loved these skates too so I hope my x7.0s last a bit longer.  Perhaps it was a baking issue, maybe the original owner had them baked 2 or 3 times, still didnt like them, then sold them (hence them looking so new) and after I had them baked again and used them for 3 hard years the boot just started breaking down?  I guess I will never know for sure.

9 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I had X60s and they also lasted around 3 years with the same amount of wear.  I don't think that's crazy at all.  My 7.0s also last 3 years.

Good to know, I guess the durability on these can vary as your/my experience was different from what nisselrm posted above.  Hopefully I will get some additional years (I would love to get 5) out of my new  7.0s but if not, oh well.

I have another question specifically for you since you owned 7.0s.  I put mine on (fresh out of the box, unbaked) for the first time last night and I noticed immediately after lacing them that the "corded" edging on the tongue digs into my inner ankle bones really bad.  I did some searching on here and found several other threads with people complaining about the same thing on this skates tongue.  Most of these people seemed to decide to get a different tongue.

My question is, did you have this issue with that super hard corded tongue edge on your 7.0s ? (If so how did you remedy it?)  Or maybe after baking this wont be an issue?(although due to how hard that edge material is I doubt this)

I was thinking I could simply cut off that corded edge part since I believe that is the culprit and the rest of the skate and tongue feel very comfortable and similar to my x:60s.  I certainly would like to avoid the cost and hassle of a tongue replacement. 

Never had this issue before as the x:60 tongue didn't have this cord sewn around the edge, it was just raw felt (which I found very comfortable) 

Thanks for any feedback you can offer!

16 hours ago, matix218 said:

Good to know, I guess the durability on these can vary as your/my experience was different from what nisselrm posted above.  Hopefully I will get some additional years (I would love to get 5) out of my new  7.0s but if not, oh well.

I have another question specifically for you since you owned 7.0s.  I put mine on (fresh out of the box, unbaked) for the first time last night and I noticed immediately after lacing them that the "corded" edging on the tongue digs into my inner ankle bones really bad.  I did some searching on here and found several other threads with people complaining about the same thing on this skates tongue.  Most of these people seemed to decide to get a different tongue.

My question is, did you have this issue with that super hard corded tongue edge on your 7.0s ? (If so how did you remedy it?)  Or maybe after baking this wont be an issue?(although due to how hard that edge material is I doubt this)

I was thinking I could simply cut off that corded edge part since I believe that is the culprit and the rest of the skate and tongue feel very comfortable and similar to my x:60s.  I certainly would like to avoid the cost and hassle of a tongue replacement. 

Never had this issue before as the x:60 tongue didn't have this cord sewn around the edge, it was just raw felt (which I found very comfortable) 

I had zero problems and loved the tongues.  Sorry I can't help you on that.....  I guess you can also replace them pretty easily.  I think I'd do that before cutting off the sides.

Well that is also good to hear.  Maybe after a bake the ankle pads will adjust and the edge of the tongue wont feel like it is digging into my ankle anymore.  I will definitely try baking and skating in them before making any changes or mods to the tongue.  I likely wouldnt even truly "cut" it off if I had to, i would just seam rip the "cord" off which would leave the thin felt below intact.

On 2017-05-04 at 6:14 AM, matix218 said:

I had this problem with my original APX skates. The pain from the tongue was unbearable at times.

Only solution I found was to swap out the stock tongues.

1 hour ago, jdvn said:

I had this problem with my original APX skates. The pain from the tongue was unbearable at times.

Only solution I found was to swap out the stock tongues.

I'll definitely bake them first and re assess.  If still an issue I will remove that rounded "cord" they have sewn into the edge of the tongue as that appears to be causing the discomfort.  Id rather try to modify the existing and not do a full tongue swap unless absolutely necessary, especially since if I go with a thick aftermarket tongue I may end up with volume issues as I only just barely pass pencil test in vapors.  Thanks for your feedback though!  I appreciate it.

On 5/4/2017 at 5:14 AM, matix218 said:

I have x7.0s and have had them for several years, at least 5. I just went to check the stiffness, expected them to be very stiff everywhere still, and found that they are a little soft in the area you mentioned,  but only in that area. Hadn't noticed it before checking, hasn't caused me any issues  

in these skates though I've had a good amount of foot pain, I think my feet changed some because they were fine at the beginning. Have rebaked, etc. but only improved things a small amount. have lacebite on one and the same issue with the edges of the tongues on the inner ankle in both skates. Just today I tried putting the tongues outside my shin guards for the first time in over 20 years and that actually helped some. 

Been skating more for the last 6months, 2-3 times a week and can't deal w the pain, it's taking the fun out of my favorite sport. 

Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of VH on jul 30, a few more weeks before I get them. Hope it's an improvement. Good luck, hope yours turned out well after baking. 

If it comes down to it I will just cut the corded edge off the tongue or just do a tongue swap (I can do tongue swaps myself now, sewing awls work really well for a professional level job).

Im putting off switching from my 60's to the 7.0s until after this season.

1 hour ago, wHATcOLOR said:

I have x7.0s and have had them for several years, at least 5. I just went to check the stiffness, expected them to be very stiff everywhere still, and found that they are a little soft in the area you mentioned,  but only in that area. Hadn't noticed it before checking, hasn't caused me any issues  

in these skates though I've had a good amount of foot pain, I think my feet changed some because they were fine at the beginning. Have rebaked, etc. but only improved things a small amount. have lacebite on one and the same issue with the edges of the tongues on the inner ankle in both skates. Just today I tried putting the tongues outside my shin guards for the first time in over 20 years and that actually helped some. 

Been skating more for the last 6months, 2-3 times a week and can't deal w the pain, it's taking the fun out of my favorite sport. 

Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of VH on jul 30, a few more weeks before I get them. Hope it's an improvement. Good luck, hope yours turned out well after baking. 

Is the pain that is causing you so much misery more from the lacebite or that inner edge of the tongue issue?  It seems from some searches that lots of people had this issue with that bauer tongue with the corded edge

4 hours ago, matix218 said:

Is the pain that is causing you so much misery more from the lacebite or that inner edge of the tongue issue?  It seems from some searches that lots of people had this issue with that bauer tongue with the corded edge

It varies from game to game depending on small nuances in how tightly I tie the laces. It was the lacebite that got me fed up enough to go the VH route.. the pain from the tongues is a newer occurrence for me. Tongues outside the shin guards seems to be a possible solution for me, will need to try it a few more times