Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

enis750

Custom Skate Options (other than VH)

what custom skate options are there other than VH?

I have been a Vapor guy for the better part of 12 years or so, and the toe cap in my LTX Pro+ (X800 equivalent) basically deformed the side of my big and pinky toe

so much, I needed to go to Supreme skates, but  I fell they don't fit my foot as good and the problem is back now.

I've been through 3-4 pairs of skates in the past 3 years and I can't find anything that works. You can't seem to punch our the toe cap, so the problem occurs in every line.

Why no VH you ask? Seeing how much they compare them to Mako's, I have no interest. Mako's were the WORST skates I have ever stepped on the ice with and if there's any similarity at all, Im out. Yes, I am a fan of the "ski boot" feeling of traditional skates as well. 

Can CCM or Bauer offer something in their custom line that can accommodate this? 

Not being able to find comfortable skates is literally pushing me out of the sport, my feet are in pain every time I step off the ice.

Both major skate companies offer custom services.  Talk to your LHS and ask them the next time a rep is scheduled to come in or have them schedule something for you.  Not to dissuade you from your feeling on VH, but don't believe the other guys do anything but custom widths and lengths.  Not sure that will solve your issues.  VH will be based on your foot as a whole.  I think it would at least be worth a conversation.

I would not dismiss VH so quickly.  If you want them stiffer then ask for the built in shot blockers. The one piece concept,  wrap and extreme responsiveness to heat are similar to Makos, but they're not the same skates. 

With that said,  I believe you can ask for a larger sized toe cap on Ccm and Bauer skates.  I recall one member mentioning they did that with custom Supertacks. 

2 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

I would not dismiss VH so quickly.  If you want them stiffer then ask for the built in shot blockers. The one piece concept,  wrap and extreme responsiveness to heat are similar to Makos, but they're not the same skates. 

With that said,  I believe you can ask for a larger sized toe cap on Ccm and Bauer skates.  I recall one member mentioning they did that with custom Supertacks. 

Are the larger sizes for length or width? And are they only for the top of the line skates?

1 hour ago, Jamarquan said:

Are the larger sizes for length or width? And are they only for the top of the line skates?

I'm not sure - perhaps someone who measures custom skates or a member who has them can chime in. My guess would be you'd want oversized caps for more width. One member mentioned getting oversized toe caps in the show it off thread when talking about his custom Supertacks:

A member who used to work at a LHS mentioned being able to alter toe box sizing in a thread discussing custom Bauer skates:

Those are only two examples of people mentioning larger toe boxes in regards to CCM and Bauer skates. I personally have not ordered or been involved with the custom skate ordering process so I'm simply going by what I've read in other threads.

Nexus?  Verbero?  The dude is in Vapors.  I'm guessing that means he has a skinny foot overall.  He says Supremes don't fit as well.  Jumping to an even larger volume fit like the Nexus or Verbero will simply cause other problems. 

OP - Have you tried on a Vapor in a EE width?  They aren't that much wider than the standard Vapor, but might give you more room up in the toes/forefoot, while not compromising the heel lock and rest of the boot fit too much.  I also like the suggestion of seeing if you can swap out the toe cap for a larger one. 

52 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Nexus?  Verbero?  The dude is in Vapors.  I'm guessing that means he has a skinny foot overall.  He says Supremes don't fit as well.  Jumping to an even larger volume fit like the Nexus or Verbero will simply cause other problems. 

OP - Have you tried on a Vapor in a EE width?  They aren't that much wider than the standard Vapor, but might give you more room up in the toes/forefoot, while not compromising the heel lock and rest of the boot fit too much.  I also like the suggestion of seeing if you can swap out the toe cap for a larger one. 

The Supremes were an improvement over the Vapors for sure, but it could be because the toe box is wider ?

But I don't get the feeling that the "hug" my feet as good as the Vapors do

can a toe box be swapped out on a non custom ordered pair of skates? I don't really want to spend another $1000 on skates, so if I purchased a set of say X900/800's, could the LHS order and install the larger sized toe cap?

or would the price to do so, be the same as just ordering some 1X's ? Rest of the skate seems to be ok, as I can heat them and punch out hot spots no problem 

3 minutes ago, enis750 said:

The Supremes were an improvement over the Vapors for sure, but it could be because the toe box is wider ?

But I don't get the feeling that the "hug" my feet as good as the Vapors do

can a toe box be swapped out on a non custom ordered pair of skates? I don't really want to spend another $1000 on skates, so if I purchased a set of say X900/800's, could the LHS order and install the larger sized toe cap?

or would the price to do so, be the same as just ordering some 1X's ? Rest of the skate seems to be ok, as I can heat them and punch out hot spots no problem 

The Supremes should be a bit wider up front compared to the Vapors.  I'd be more concerned with heel lock not being to the same level.  I know for my feet, Supremes don't lock my heel while Vapors do a much better job of that.

I'd talk to your LHS.  I'd imagine a toe cap could be replaced without ordering a whole custom skate, so you very likely could be in luck.  Find a shop you trust and who really knows their stuff and talk through the issue with them and see what their thoughts are.  Or IM some of the guys on the board here who run their own LHS.  Guys like JR and others seem to know their stuff inside and out. 

I would try to find a shop with the Custom Skate Works toe cap punch and try that first.  Even if you have to ship the skates there and back it's still short money compared to customs. 

I'm not sure I'd trust a non factory toe cap swap after the fact.  

I also wouldn't rule out VH without discussing your needs with them. The boot can be made as stiff or as soft as you want it. 

Swapping out toe caps isn't a good idea. I know of a number of skates that have had a stretch tried in the toe cap (done by heating the toe cap up and getting it to move out 1mm - 2mm) and when the cap came out the skates are ruined. As Monty22 said, find someone with a toe cap punch and then talk to them. JR has one and the guys from Custom Skate Works may be able to refer you to someone who has one close by to you.