Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic

STX Surgeon RX2 Stick Extension into a Warrior QRL stick?

Theoretically, I know that plugging a STX Surgeon RX2 Stick Extension:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/accessories/stick-accessories/hockey-butt-ends/stx-hockey-accessories-composite-6in-butt-end.html#

into a a Warrior QRL (or any other) stick should not work. However, I had surprising success in plugging the Hockey Torch extension into the STX Surgeon 2 stick, so if anyone can give it a shot, and let me know how you do, then I'd greatly appreciate it. (I am overseas for another month, after which time I will go to the store to size these things up myself to see if it will work). As the question of "Why?" will inevitably come up, this is why:

I appreciate the shaft geometry of the STX Surgeon RX2, but the stick itself just feels so heavy (due to its being unbalanced). So, I hope to get the benefits of the shaft geometry of the RX2 in my top hand through the stick extension, and then get back into a stick that has better balance so that I can maneuver it a bit more easily than I have been able to. I am willing to sacrifice the shaft geometry of my lower hand, for a better balanced (and potentially better kicking) stick (and more blade options).

I hated the Hockey Torch, FWIW- too big and bulky of a knob, so that thing came out quickly, after I was surprised to see how easily I was able to get it into the stick and get a good connection with it. 

Cosmic,

why not take a Wooden Shaft extension and customize (cut/or sand) the underhand part to get it to be similar?

I made my oen torch typr of knob via a old wooden plug and tape.  Needless to say its a monster weight wise, But it cost me a plug that I felt was not gonna work and tape.  Its neat, but it makes you realize $30 bucks is alot and what can one do with a reg. wooden plug/extension.

Edit: My Experience is that composite extensions do not fit perfectly, so why spend the extra money?  You end up jimmying around with the extension...with wood, you may need to make adjustments, but at a better price and much easier to work with.

I had one sherwood shaft (my off ice stick) with sr. Stx extension. It wont fit unless you put more heat (with heat gun) to the shaft so the carbon fibre loosen up before inserting the extension. It will expand the shaft when you insert it. However it was risky to do that again on other shaft. You might ended up damaging the shaft if its not hot enough.

The other solution would be finding an intermediate size. One of MSH member here use the int. size extension for senior shaft .

Yep I've done it in a Bauer Nexus Sr shaft. I used a int plug and just used some hockey tape wrapped around the plug to fill up some of the space including the triangular sides then put some glue on and it fit very well and help up through a couple of skates with it. 

I gave up on it after about 3 skates with it as I found it was causing the blade to open up on wrist shots and felt the comfort wasn't worth the lose in prefomance. This may sound a bit weird but I felt like I couldn't feel the blade of the stick in terms of opened or closed. Best way I can describe it would be the indexing of a knife, if you have a round handle you can't tell if the edge is down or to the side where with a squared handle you know right where it is with out looking. The cut corners of the extension seem to wanna roll in my hand almost. 

I personally wouldn't recommend doing it just from the failed experiment side of things but I think the thing was 12$ so know real lose in trying if you choose to do it.