Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

2017 Warrior replacement blades

18 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

You can always extend them...

Oh...I understand...My boy started playing with Easton Shafts.  We switched over to Warrior and really have stuck with warrior till this summer.   He played the 2nd gen of the AK27 (Came with Extension plug) 3rd gen Ak27 which was longer and no extension needed.  Then we switched over to the Dynasty taper since they did not have intermediate flex AK27.  He's played with the Dynastys now for a few years and we have extended them.  I handed over my Dynasty Axis shaft in 75 flex, but refused to cut it for him this year....So I had him go back to the INT Dynasty...So moving forward I did not want to have a NEW shaft that needed an extension inserted into the shaft from the get go...seems backwards to me.

I understand some pros have extension inserted into their sticks that they cut down to get a certain end effect they like or for counter-weighting their stick.  This just really seemed odd to me to extend a new shaft, he might as well play with his old shafts (see my point of view).  So they went back and I purchased a True Tapered shaft.  Heck I might give a spin or two around the rink (He's a Righty, I'm Lefty)  Now we will be able to compare the Axis to the True.

Also Note my observation is that their is more differeance than just the length between the 2 warrior shafts.  The HD1 feels stiffer than the AX1T to me and the Profile of the shaft is more square & the HD1 has a Slick Grip coating.  The Pros to me was the squares shaft and the Slick Grip coating.  At ht time of this and the LACK of information being provided is/was I'll wait on the next generation of warrior shafts...which may not be coming....AND if True is also Bowing out...I may be contacting Base.

I have too many blades on hand to switch over to 1 pc sticks at the moment AND he is at the age where I would expect sticks to start breaking (Midget).

On 2017-05-24 at 7:06 PM, roadrunner said:

People are misled with the "one piece" perform better.  A whole new crop of young players only know hockey sticks as being one piece.  They'll never know the advantages of a 2 piece.

Shameless plug, I know, but I just published an article regarding exactly this on the BASE blog last week. Two-piece sticks are very underrated, especially by those seduced by modern marketing wizardry.

9 hours ago, MrData said:

Shameless plug, I know, but I just published an article regarding exactly this on the BASE blog last week. Two-piece sticks are very underrated, especially by those seduced by modern marketing wizardry.

That a Good Blog Post AND exactly why my boy has been playing 2 pc set-up most of his hockey playing days.  One thing happens, most parents look to what the better kids are playing and try to mimic what they are playing.  I can remember when by boy was a squirt and we where over at another associations pre-season skates and I hear to dads talking about stick weight....the light bulb had clicked on for them when they realized the difference between that ultra-light stick and that timber they where making their boys play with.

I sorta lucked out...My boy started with Bauer woodies and he liked the fact that the weight kept other kids from popping his stick so easily...BUT I happened into a Play it again sports and found the 2 lightest Easton shafts in Junior flex...problem was they really where not jr flex by todays standards.  We would play the year withthe Eastons and then after months of searching ID'd the Warrior AK27 as the next leap up.  It had the weight and the flex I was looking for...and this was after walking into total hockey with a scale and weighing one peice sticks.  You could not match the set-up of a 2 peice on a 1 peice + all the additional options of curves and the extra benefit of going with a wood blade OR a comp. blade.

My boy played with wood bladesd for quite some time & we even modified a few woodies (custom curve) BUT also sanding the sole and toe shape to get the curve we wanted to try...We had a dual sole blade when they where not available for 2 peice set-ups.

My Biggest advice for Base is to market (Online) your curve selection to your advantage.  Meaning with your upgrade you really want to be able to highlight your blade selection AND possibly 3d walk-arounds.  As the Big guys keep moving to lesser options...you want to be able to sell people on the additional customization options only available from Base.  "You have to think about how to help sell online to those that do not have a Base Fitting location

I cannot tell you how many times I have had to tell Parents...Go get an extension and put it in your kids stick...they think once the kid outgrows the stick...They need a new stick.  Well they dont necassarily need to do that. I think that when we purchased the AK27...they had the plug in the end and that gave you the knowledge that you could adjust the stick with the plug...

Final Note...The main reason why I was sold on Warrior sticks back int he day was they marketed their product with more information than the big guys did.  This helped me understand why I wanted their product and the differences between the model lines.  If you look back at CCM or Bauer...Its "this is the options" and the specs only tell you if its a std hosel or tapered hosel.

I have a pic on my phone of China's Female team look at the Blades in studio...as a way to see if I can see blade curves better than the online chart AND /OR the additional and new curves.

They had some LH ones too, in case anyone is interested.  The store is Ultimate Skate and Hockey inside of Anaheim Ice in Anaheim, CA.

f0fdnUc.jpg

EEESH...I would jump if it was truely the curve I wanted or priced nicely...Absolutely love the W06 Smyth.  Would like to see the W07 Kovalchuk/Robitaille. 

Just picked up (2) W04 Weight/Vanek curves and they are not the curve I was expecting (stinking online charts). 

29 minutes ago, hawkeyfan said:

EEESH...I would jump if it was truely the curve I wanted or priced nicely...Absolutely love the W06 Smyth.  Would like to see the W07 Kovalchuk/Robitaille. 

Just picked up (2) W04 Weight/Vanek curves and they are not the curve I was expecting (stinking online charts). 

Dave's Sport Shop in Fridley, Minnesota had a Smyth curve or two on their shelves when I was there last fall. I picked one up for $50+tax. They may still have them and ship them to you if you call them.

1 hour ago, hawkeyfan said:

Give it a chance, the Darby/P89/Weight/Vanek is the best curve in my opinion. Try it out you might just be surprised. 

13 hours ago, hawkeyfan said:

Kovalchuk and vanek, both are great curves. Really pissed of when warrior discontinued them. Give it a try if you like lower lie especially vanek for passing and low hard shoot.

1 hour ago, jazz4all said:

Kovalchuk and vanek, both are great curves. Really pissed of when warrior discontinued them. Give it a try if you like lower lie especially vanek for passing and low hard shoot.

Did you see the CCM P30 yet? Gonna try it out maybe tomorrow at HockeyMonkey if they have it at the shooting range.

12 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Did you see the CCM P30 yet? Gonna try it out maybe tomorrow at HockeyMonkey if they have it at the shooting range.

Haven't take a look at P30 though. Is it the same as kovalchuk or vanek?  Vanek is my main curve right now.

5 hours ago, jazz4all said:

Haven't take a look at P30 though. Is it the same as kovalchuk or vanek?  Vanek is my main curve right now.

No; P30 seems to be a hybrid of P88/P28. It's a closed toe hook, similar to what you showed me when we first met, but with some more rocker at the toe:

Hard to tell without a picture, but it sounds like it might not be that closed. Bjugstad's other "modernized" patterns are all pretty open in the mid/toe areas.

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

No; P30 seems to be a hybrid of P88/P28. It's a closed toe hook, similar to what you showed me when we first met, but with some more rocker at the toe:

Is it not as deep as kovalchuk? Would love to have mild toe and heel like kovalev pro but in lower lie.

6 hours ago, jazz4all said:

Is it not as deep as kovalchuk? Would love to have mild toe and heel like kovalev pro but in lower lie.

Most of that pattern is around an Easton 5. It's hard to find lower lies than that in general.

On 5/25/2017 at 10:36 AM, Cavs019 said:

The definition of the word fused got lost on a lot of people around 2010 or so. 

I've been rethinking the place of 2 piece sticks in my life, and how that effects my world. 

When the specs say a stick is "fused," it's just a 2 piece with a fancy blended paint job over the tenon connection, right?  Is there noticable difference in play between a fused one piece and a two piece? 

Come on man; The guy in the video (Chase) is a good dude. He posts on here from time to time. No need for remarks like that.

58 minutes ago, start_today said:

I've been rethinking the place of 2 piece sticks in my life, and how that effects my world. 

When the specs say a stick is "fused," it's just a 2 piece with a fancy blended paint job over the tenon connection, right?  Is there noticable difference in play between a fused one piece and a two piece? 

Short answer in my opinion is- it depends. 

Most companies manufacture(d) blades to fit perfectly clean and flush with the shaft they are made for (I.e HD1 to HD1). Some don't fit clean which creates an optical mismatch where the shaft and blade meet which is bothersome to some people (Bauer two pieces typically exhibit this but the X60/APX2/1X combos are awesome IMO). 

Balance also varies from two piece to two piece, especially when you start mixing brands. Further, typically the fused tenon (the piece that physically goes into the shaft) off a one piece stick is shorter than the hosel attached to a tapered blade, but the weight difference from this extra centimeter or so of material should be negligible.

All that said I've never really noticed a difference between a two piece and its fused one piece counterpart. If anything, the two pieces are typically balanced to be slightly (if at all) more blade heavy which I prefer for puck feel. I also weirdly like the feeling of whipped out shafts with fresh crisp blades, which is hard to come by on a one piece as I wear out the blade before the shaft 100% of the time. 

Dont forget that the balance point changes with every cut you make (both for OPS and 2piece), but noticeably more with the OPS. 

Ive been contemplating going back to 2 piece for a while, but seems like good deals for new-old-stock OPS come up from time to time that is comparable to a 2 piece setup.

56 minutes ago, A2rhino said:

Come on man; The guy in the video (Chase) is a good dude. He posts on here from time to time. No need for remarks like that.

Im well aware of who Chase is, its a joke. If you'd like, I could text him and ask if it hurt his feelings, but based on how many times he's skated around me at events, I don't think it did.

1 hour ago, Cavs019 said:

Short answer in my opinion is- it depends. 

Balance also varies from two piece to two piece, especially when you start mixing brands. Further, typically the fused tenon (the piece that physically goes into the shaft) off a one piece stick is shorter than the hosel attached to a tapered blade, but the weight difference from this extra centimeter or so of material should be negligible.

All that said I've never really noticed a difference between a two piece and its fused one piece counterpart. If anything, the two pieces are typically balanced to be slightly (if at all) more blade heavy which I prefer for puck feel. I also weirdly like the feeling of whipped out shafts with fresh crisp blades, which is hard to come by on a one piece as I wear out the blade before the shaft 100% of the time. 

This does raise a thought; Do you think the broken in whipped out shaft is why Brett Hull used a two piece setup up until he retired? He could get the shaft to where he liked it and then throw in a fresh blade. I do think new sticks always seem to feel the best after a skate or two.

8 hours ago, A2rhino said:

This does raise a thought; Do you think the broken in whipped out shaft is why Brett Hull used a two piece setup up until he retired? He could get the shaft to where he liked it and then throw in a fresh blade. I do think new sticks always seem to feel the best after a skate or two.

He liked his shafts whippy for sure, but a whippy shaft that's whipped out is something else entirely, right? Or were you saying liking stiffer shafts that got whipped out were what lead to his requesting whippier shafts?