Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheProfessor

How to fix torn skate lining? (see pic)

Howdy,

My previous pair of skates did that too, but a good bit worse.  I think it was from the edge of the tongue rubbing there.  I switched to shins over tongue and haven't had it happen with my new skates.

When I showed it to a couple guys at the rink, the feedback I got was "yeah that's common, if its not affecting comfort, ignore it".

YMMV.

Mark

My last pair did that also, I suspect due to shin guards rubbing at that point. They got a lot worse than yours in the picture.

I tried a variety of methods, nothing really fixed it but a fair amount of super glue slowed down the wear process. I was able to get it under the liner a bit, and into some of the layers of the boot, and it held everything in place well enough that the liner didn't move (and make itself worse). Someone suggested an overhand stitch and just try to stitch up the entire corner, but the boot material was too stiff for the equipment I had and I didn't pursue it.

My advice is that at the end of the day it's not going to affect much so do what you can to slow down the tear and live with it.

11 hours ago, TheProfessor said:

you mean use a piece of leather that wraps around, so I would glue it to both the liner and the exterior of the boot? Or glue a piece only to the liner?

I've done several repairs like this and just glue to the liner, bringing the end of the patch to the end of the boot. Once you clamp down the patch and Barge cement it stays pretty flush once dry. 

Thanks for advice ya'll. I will probably do what Monty suggested above. I don't care much what it looks like, I just don't want the liner to tear up or compromise the structure of the materials inside the boot.