Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nhockey

Walk Me Thru Conversion

My son and daughter have both asked to start playing roller. Their evolution as ice skaters means we have spare ice hockey skates that aren't likely to get much use by us. 

My daughter has a pair of Graf 535's that have been retired from ice. She really liked the skates but has other skates she wears on ice. What needs to be done to put these into service? What parts, and where should I get the parts? Is this a DIY process? There are no local hockey shops, and the local skate shop doesn't do anything with rollerblades. There is a big box sporting goods store locally that has Bauer Vapor X300R's in her size for $130. Am I better off going that route?

Same questions for my son's skates, except his skates are Easton 85's.

The closest full service hockey shop to me is a long ways away. Like 5-6 hours each way so the bulk of this needs to be done thru the mail.

I need help with every step - what parts, quality level, source, everything. 

Thanks!

I just did a pair of Graf 535s myself.  Below is the video I used as my guide.  I'll add to this by saying instead of buying bolts all 1 length and trimming them to fit, you might want to buy several sizes up and down.  I think I used mostly 1/2" in my conversion, but went longer in the back where I shimmed.  Wheels and chassis came from a pair of used boots I grabbed off eBay.  Cheapest option available.  Think I paid like $30 shipped.  T-nuts, washers and bolts (I bought in bulk) were around $40, but I now have A LOT of these.  Skates I had.  So basically $70-80 and my time.  The mark-up and drilling was really straight forward and easy.  Only had 1 hole per skate that needed a bit of adjustment to align correctly. 
Given the retail price for chassis and wheels and bearings and spacers and doing the conversion at a shop, DIY is very do-able, cost effective and fun with really basic ability with tools. 

i'm following @krisdrum 's lead on this one, down to purchasing used skates off ebay for the chassis. Right now I'm punching out my boots i intend to use before I undergo the conversion. Will post pics once I get started.

I just converted a old pair of nikes (white Fedorov) to inline with marsblade. I used hardware instead of rivets since I'm on the fence with the nikes and I have several boots I can use. I Used #6-32 pronged Tee nuts from Home Depot with 1/2" and 3/4" stainless bolts. I had to drill holes but it all came out ok and I didn't have to trim any bolts 

I cant find the tutorial that I included in this thread. I did a pictorial of how I did my conversions in the past. 

On 5/29/2017 at 6:13 PM, fatwabbit said:

I cant find the tutorial that I included in this thread. I did a pictorial of how I did my conversions in the past. 

You mean this post in another thread?