Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jordon777

Wheels/Bearings Help?

Howdy all,

I really love my CCM Externo Cage skates that I got probably in 2003. The boots are in perfect shape.

The issue I have now is getting some new wheels. They originally came with Hyper Formula G 74A wheels. The issue is that they came with micro bearings.

Does anyone know if these are still available anywhere? Or is there a way to convert the bigger bearings to fit my micros? I have probably done 10+ hours of searching without finding exactly what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have a guess of what sizes these wheels were stock? The back seem to be bigger, but they are so worn out, I can not tell for sure.

http://www.inlineskates.com/CCM-Cage-Inline-Hockey-Skates/24911P,default,pd.html#pdpSpecs

http://www.hyperwheels.com/products/formula-g-micro-orange/

I  the wheel set up was 72 72 80 80.    I still have that chasis on a pair.  I would just get new wheels and bearings in that is an option or check ebay for just wheels.

• Like 1

Micros are dead technology, once upon a time you could get an average set free with a set of micro wheels on eBay but that was years ago now.

If you're keen on the same technology bones have a 6 ball bearing that's much better and same size as a standard bearing.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2017 at 5:29 PM, jmiro said:

I  the wheel set up was 72 72 80 80.    I still have that chasis on a pair.  I would just get new wheels and bearings in that is an option or check ebay for just wheels.

Thanks! Do you happen to know exactly what wheels those were? Was I right on my guess?

Or is there another brand with the same softness and such?

Well, there are adapters available for fitting micro bearings (688) into standard 608 wheels ... sold in 16-pack

... Bearings are also still available ...

Adapters:

Aluminum

https://www.greatlakescycleandskate.com/products/bont-688-bearing-adapters

https://der-rollenshop.sportkanzler.de/Bont-Adapter-for-Micro-Bearings-Alu

Plastic

https://der-rollenshop.sportkanzler.de/Ninja-Minimiser-Adapter-for-Micro-Bearings

Bearings

https://der-rollenshop.sportkanzler.de/Bont-Swiss-Jesa-688-Micro-Kugellager-16-pack

IMHO micro bearings offer some features like faster acceleration and less wheight. I am not sure, but in comparison to standard bearings they also seem to take up less dirt. Though, I never used these new 6 ball bearings ...

Edited by Martis

The easiest route is to just get new standard sized bearings, spacers and wheels. Micro bearings are still available through the inline speed world and brands like Bont, but wheels have pretty well gone entirely away.

Labeda Grippers in X-Soft will be the closest replacement wheel for 74a Formula G, Grippers in Soft if you want to step up to 76a. For bearings a set of Bones Reds or Super Reds will be the better economical choices. If your local Zumiez has Andale Blues in stock those are also solid for $30-35 for a full set (two packs since they're packaged for skateboards). I don't recall if the CCM Cage had 6mm axles or 8mm axles, 6mm will require a sleeve spacer 8mm will require a floating spacer.

You can get everything to refresh them on InlineWarehouse for under $100, less if you sign up for an IWin membership by buying a membership t-shirt for $10.  

As others have said, you're better off just getting new standard size bearings and new spacers to go with some new wheels. All the top wheels now use standard bearings.

Which wheels will be best for you will depend on the surface you're playing on, your weight and if you place more importance on grip or speed. 

Agreed with Althoma that your playing surface, size and preferences will guide wheel selection. My suggestion for the Gripper is that they are from the same era the Formula G came from. In the late 90's the top 3 wheel choices where Labeda Grippers, Hyper Formula Gs and Kryptonics Mr Stickys. Grippers are the only one still in the market from that line-up.

Labeda, Revision, Rink Rat and Konixx all currently make good wheels. If you want to save a few bucks and are set on a 74a wheel the Red Star Rebel, Sniper GT and MX GT wheels are all on closeout on Inline Warehouse right now. Hockeymonkey has older Milleniums in 74a/Soft on closeout right now as well.

In agreement with Konixx being great.

Got my first set last week and performance was unreal.

I skate on wood and could only perform in older 84a rink rat dual pours.

konixx are much better, can’t recommend them enough, yet to use them on another surface.

I use Konixx Pure wheels on Sport Court now. I've used Revision and Rink Rat dual pour wheels in the past (not the latest models though). The Konnix Pure wheels are my favourites to date for the Sport Court surface. They feel faster than the others in the +2 durometer I have, they still grip very well and I've used them for almost a year now. They do have little slits in them now, but I've had no hub separation (I've experienced this with other wheels in the past) and they still perform well.

The caveat is, the Pure wheels are not cheap so one would have to be willing to pay for the top of the line performance. They do make cheaper single pour wheels, but I haven't tried those as I'm happy with the Pure wheels and they only make the cheaper wheels in durometers more appropriate for lighter skaters. 

17 hours ago, Wicked3Aussie said:

In agreement with Konixx being great.

Got my first set last week and performance was unreal.

I skate on wood and could only perform in older 84a rink rat dual pours.

konixx are much better, can’t recommend them enough, yet to use them on another surface.

Are you using the Pure on wood? I've been skating on the E-Flux since my home arena replaced the ice court with wood, and they've been ok but I'd like to find something a little better

5 hours ago, sdcopp said:

Are you using the Pure on wood? I've been skating on the E-Flux since my home arena replaced the ice court with wood, and they've been ok but I'd like to find something a little better

Yeah I’m using them on wood.

They’re fantastic, grip is fantastic with zero speed loss.

They make one hell of a noise when doing hockey stops on the wood.

I did also have quick burn on a friends skates with a new set of e-flux.

while they were grippy they were no where near as good.

Id recommend going straight for the pure +2s.

• Like 1

Lot of experience with Konixx and Labeda, both quality products.  

Konixx definately my sons first choice,  130lbs, where my 250lb frame likes the Labeda Addiction wheels.   

Also, 2 years ago I bought my son the Bones Super Swiss Six bearings mentioned above, they are amazing.  

Not sure on the technologic merits, but I sure can speak to the quality of the Bones bearings over a Swiss Lite, they spin forever, and last longer between cleanings. 

I like to think that the larger balls in the Super 6, does offer what is suggest, but its a bit harder to prove. 

Cheers

• Thanks 1

For wheels as well Konixx Pure's and Labeda Addictions are what all the top players have been skating on out here. 

I've skated two seasons now on the Pures and love them. No chunking or cracks just normal wear. I love them. They have excellent grip on the sport court surface while also having enough density for speed. So you don't feel like you having to work hard in softer wheels. 

• Thanks 1