Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BureKovy

Salvaging blade from OPS

Is it possible to separate a fused OPS to save the blade to use in another shaft?

Reebok 11k sickick III

All the write ups are how to remove the blade to save the shaft.

Actually, yes.

I've used my chop saw to score the shaft on the top of the blade. Then tap with a screwdriver and it comes right out. 

I posted detailed instructions in the Cutting OPS at Fuse Point thread. I'm on my phone atm though so I can't dig for it. 

27 minutes ago, yrhmblnr8r said:

Actually, yes.

I've used my chop saw to score the shaft on the top of the blade. Then tap with a screwdriver and it comes right out. 

I posted detailed instructions in the Cutting OPS at Fuse Point thread. I'm on my phone atm though so I can't dig for it. 

And then you put the blade into another shaft? 

42 minutes ago, yrhmblnr8r said:

Yes. I've been hooking up teammates for years. 

Interesting. I've never heard of that. I've seen people turn OPS into shafts before but I've never seen somebody take a blade from a OPS and put it into a shaft. 

This is from fatwabbit:

halfmoon, I've salvaged a blade from a broken OPS before.

I tried the heat and pull method, but agree that it takes a lot of muscle to do it. I also tried the 'samson' method of doing it with clamps and spreaders but it didnt work too well. Here's what I did in the end.

I cut the blade off from the shaft at the spot where I believe would be the end of the TENON. I then lined up the blade against a few tapered blades to get a rough idea where the hosel would end (fuse point), then cut a notch into that area around the whole profile of the shaft. Then crisscross cuts around the remainder of the shaft. Once done, heat up and use a screwdriver to pry the remainding shaft off. Because of the crisscross cuts, the remainding shaft would just break off in pieces. Sounds complicated, but the sawing took a couple of minutes, and the heat/pry took about 5 minutes.

The blade still had some of the epoxy type glue on the tenon, so I sanded it down a little. The blade fits well into tapered shafts, might need just one strip of tape on the tenon for some other tapered shafts.

Edit.... also converted a TpS XN10 two days ago. Tenon popped out of the butt end after a little chiseling, and looks pretty good.

This is quotes from yrhmblnr8r

I've salvaged many blades using a version of Fatwabbit's method. I'm at the point now where teammates just hand over broken sticks in the locker room knowing it'll be a blade by next game.

I use a sliding compound mitre saw, but I think you could do the same thing with your dremmel. I cut the shaft down to the top of the hosel then make a guess at the fuse point, like FW. Then I set the depth guide on the saw so I'm only shaving off the layers of composite shaft and not cutting into the hosel itself. I work the saw back and forth on the top the shaft as I move from the fuse point to the top of the hosel. Then I make a single pass across the front and back of the shaft at the fuse point, like FW. After that, a tap with a chisel or flat screw driver should separate what's left of the shaft in one C-shaped piece. No heat necessary.

I've been surprised at how easily they come apart. TPS, Harrow, and CCM seem to be the easiest to separate, then Bauer, then Easton.

One of the guys here told me that he read my old post on this. I think looking back, that was when I had one kid, and plenty of time in the garage.

Now, I've got three kids, no garage, and little time to dabble with gear. For what its worth, it was a good experience getting some blades taken out from broken OPS, but these days I dont have the time to do it. And also, with OPS going to the 'true' one piece rather than fused two piece, its not as easy to be able to do the conversion. I still convert broken sticks to tapered shafts, but its a lot less work to just cut the shaft and just insert a blade.

Bauer (1pc) stick blades do not work so well (IMO) they are made in a way that I do not think you can convert the blade to reuse and with that their broken shaft are such that you can convert by adjusting a wood blade, but I do not know of a composite blade working in a broken bauer shaft (1 pc)

On 5/22/2017 at 0:28 PM, GoalForFun said:

The next time one of you guys attempts this please take pics. Would be really neat to see!

I just saved an Easton for a teammate. Here are some pics.