Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
clarkiestooth

CCM 710 or 310 HELMET

2 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

Not sure if we're able to discuss these yet since I believe the official launch is this Friday.

I'll defer to JR and Co for signoff. 

Didn't realize that.  IW has already had them for sale for a couple weeks.

Howdy,

47 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

Not sure if we're able to discuss these yet since I believe the official launch is this Friday.

I'll defer to JR and Co for signoff. 

They're on the shelves at the Total Hockey in Cranberry, PA, FWIW.

Mark

Any reason why the new 710 helmets are retailing for so much less than the Resistance helmets?

Aren't the 710's an updated version of the Resistance?

I really want to try on the 310. The resistance was by far the most comfortable helmet I'd ever put on and if these new models are even close to feeling like that I'd be a very happy camper. 

Though still debating whether I'll ever be skating out again... 

Home run helmets. Both extremely comfortable. CCM has two great models for retail. Plus they hit the price points and leave money left over for tape and sharpening !!

I'm in the market for a new helmet and I don't want to buy another RE-AKT if I can help it considering how expensive it is. I used to wear CCM as a kid and I remember them being tighter around the temples; has that changed at all? Compared to the RE-AKT 100, how do these new helmets fit?

The 710 is worlds more comfortable than the resistance. The softer pods feel great.

Hard to beat at $160 if it fits your melon properly. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

The 710 is worlds more comfortable than the resistance. The softer pods feel great.

Hard to beat at $160 if it fits your melon properly. 

How is the weight of the 710 vs 310?

I didn't pick up the 310 but I'd imagine they are similar. I've never really paid attention to helmet weight as fit is all I really care about.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Vuronov said:

Any reason why the new 710 helmets are retailing for so much less than the Resistance helmets?

Aren't the 710's an updated version of the Resistance?

No they are not. They are supposed to be supplemental to the resistance line ie middle price points.

The 710 is superior to the top of the line resistance in pretty much every aspect so I assume this will be confusing as all hell optically to the uniformed consumer. 

I have not had a chance to see either helmet yet, but employees at our LHS are talking up the 710 in a big way.  Including saying that CCM believes it will score better than the new Bauer Re-Akt 200 in the VA Tech testing.  Does anyone know if VA Tech will be testing these CCM helmets?

• Like 1

I just ordered a 310 helmet, should have it in another 5 days. I went with it over the 710 because the two are almost identical, the difference being the 710 has an extra liquid filled protection system, which did not really excite me.  Will give my impressions when I use it.

Howdy,

I'm still not seeing the new 310 / 710 on CCM's website.  Is it somewhere I'm just not looking?

edit:  Gah.  I'm an idiot, I didn't realize it was a "Tacks" helmet.

Mark

Edited by marka

16 hours ago, talkintothemike said:

I have not had a chance to see either helmet yet, but employees at our LHS are talking up the 710 in a big way.  Including saying that CCM believes it will score better than the new Bauer Re-Akt 200 in the VA Tech testing.  Does anyone know if VA Tech will be testing these CCM helmets?

It would be best to direct any VT testing protocol posts to the thread that's already open:

The Key above all else is fit...you may like Price, you may like brand, but how does it fit on the melon?  Then you can look at the variations...I know I am looking for a new helmet for my now Midget player sna everytime we can we are trying on helmets to narrow them down.  And finding a model and size can get goofy crazy as he seems to fit between Small and Medm and that can even change withi manufacturers.  So good fit is important...he has outlasted an old Cascade Messier helmet finally and getting something that is as comfortable is a problem...then add in trying to find a better helemt without signing off on body parts...thats another problem.

Edit...Ok I see the new models on IW and have to say...we'll have to take a look at these.  I have never been a fan of the hard pellet foam systems...But I dont really like the full on foam contact models.  My boy did not like the fit of the earlier resistance models, but these could be different...so, since we have not made a purchase...and am borrowing a teammates old (not expired helmet) we have time.

This is the problem with the OEM's not giving any insight on future product release information...What If I had to make a purchase today and had no idea because of a lack of information on the new products 
AND the other jokers are bombarding the social pages with their product push....over and over and over...the propaganda is crazy

Edited by hawkeyfan
add'l thoughts

The UPS man just delivered my 310 helmet an hour ago. I will preface this by saying I despise the so called hi tech expensive helmets and have always categorized them as uncomfortable and offering no more protection than the venerable old stand by, the VN liner helmet.   Give me an old Vector 08 or Bauer 4500 over the Re-Akt or Resistance any day of the week.

I have to say this 310 is the most comfortable helmet I've ever tried on. Even more comfortable than the trusted VN liner. Super easy adjustment.  Weight is not noticeably different from my V08. Passes the mirror test as well. Price reasonable. Strong win for CCM.

• Like 1

Howdy,

Put my hands on one of these at the "local" Total Hockey the other day, along with a Re-Akt 200.  It was just a quick play though, I was just there getting skates sharpened.

I dunno if this will match everyone's experience, but I would say that the 710 is for more rounded heads than the Re-Akt 200, even though both show "round" on IW's fit guidelines.  The 710 had noticeably more room on the side of my head / temples than the Re-Akt did.  I didn't back to back compare, but it seemed like even more room as compared to the Resistance 300 that is my current helmet.  Same adjustment mechanism on the 710 as the Resistance 300, that adjusts both length and width together.

Like I said, just a quick grab and stick on my head (with adjustment for size) for each helmet, vs. anything extensive.  I hope to check each helmet out more extensively later!

Mark

I figured I would give a small review on this helmet, since I just played my first game with it tonight.

I went to my LHS and tried on a few different sizes of both the 710 and 310, and was able to find the right one for me. In the store, this thing felt great. I decided to order the 310 (LHS didn't have the color I wanted), mainly due to the price. I knew either one would be an upgrade over my 4500 or V08. In the last year or so, I've had the following helmets: CCM Resistance, CCM Res 300, CCM Res 100, and Bauer 4500. I've tried on the Re-Akt, but it just didn't "wow" me enough to drop over $200 on it. When I tried the Tacks 310 on, I couldn't believe the helmet only cost $120. It's light, and extremely comfortable. As in, I wore it the entire game tonight and never felt pressure once on my head, and I have it cranked down tight to keep it from shifting. With the 4500 or V08, neither one fit perfectly, and after a game I always had pressure marks either on my forehead or temples. I had NOTHING after wearing this helmet.

In terms of protection, I'm not Virginia Tech. However, I put on my 4500 and whacked myself pretty hard in the front and sides of the helmet with my open palm. I then did the same with the 310. I'll just say there was a very, very noticeable difference.

Most importantly of all, it passes the mirror test. It looks basically the same as the Resistance but feels a bit smaller.

If you go try on this helmet and it fits your head shape, I highly, highly recommend it. For years I was a Bauer guy, but in the past year or two I've slowly gone to almost all CCM gear, because they have done some amazing stuff with their gloves and protective gear. I still wear Bauer skates, and my 4500 was my other Bauer holdout. No longer.

7 hours ago, FlyChicaga said:

In terms of protection, I'm not Virginia Tech. However, I put on my 4500 and whacked myself pretty hard in the front and sides of the helmet with my open palm. I then did the same with the 310. I'll just say there was a very, very noticeable difference.

Well to be fair that's nearly as scientific as the VT study was. 

• Like 2