Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

CCM Super Tacks Girdle Initial Thoughts

I just picked up a brand new pair of these in a trade so I'm going to bump an old thread.  Coming from an old, well loved, 9K girdle my immediate observation was how much lighter this girdle was.  I've tried it on and it feels really mobile right out of the box (bag?).  I feel like the thigh pads are a touch more narrow/form fitting than the 9K which I'm liking, they wrap my legs better (I have skinny legs).  My biggest complaint so far is I don't see any velcro tabs for the socks, that was one of my favorite parts of the 9K and I've eliminated any sort of garter belt/compression short I had used in the past in favor of a CCM pro jock, I guess I'll have to take a trip to Michael's to pick up some velcro and get creative with a needle and thread haha

• Like 2

I am in size purgatory. At 6'0 with a 32" waist, I am in between sizes according to the specs:

SR MD / 32" - 36" / 5'7" - 5'10" 
SR LG / 34" - 38" / 5'10" - 6'2"

I have a 9K M, assuming a M Tacks would work? Just don't want it to be too short (even with the leg adjustment). Anyone?

Howdy,

Maybe this helps, maybe not... I have the 7092 girdle.  Size M and I'm 5'10".  If anything, its a touch short.  No way would I want that length if I had longer legs.

The only part I'm not sure about is how the adjustable length range on the Super Tacks compares to the 7092's non-adjustable length.

Mark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cosmic said:

I am 6'1, in a Large in the Super Tacks, and the legs are definitely long enough. 

I assumed the large would be long enough, I am more concerned with the medium not being long enough. I am usually a M in everything else, but the size chart has me puzzled.

24 minutes ago, Dangles83 said:

I assumed the large would be long enough, I am more concerned with the medium not being long enough. I am usually a M in everything else, but the size chart has me puzzled.

I guess my point was that a Medium in Super Tacks, due to the adjustability features, may work for length in the legs. I just remembered, that I tried on a Medium Super Tacks, it felt great in the hips and legs. I have a lot of extra waist compared to @Dangles83 as I am a 36-38 waist. The only are I felt the Medium Super Tacks lacking was it was too low in the upper girdle (kidney protection) area and did not come up high enough for my liking. The Large came up higher, and I could wrap the extra material around my waist fine with the Large. Not sure if @Dangles83 will be able to do this with a Large

@Dangles83 Did you try the Supreme 1S? Or, not looking to spend a car payment on a girdle (can't blame ya). I think Bauer is better for slim and fit types, wheres CCM is more for athletic to bigger. I am a Medium in Bauer 1S (amazingly- I was shocked as I figured I would be Large to XL).

I like the 1S better than the Super Tacks, but I did not give it an honest try until I already decided on the Super Tacks. It's not that big a deal that I was gonna throw another $200 at it now, but when the 1S goes on clearance +30% off, then I may just grab it. 

Tried my Super Tacks girdle for the first time last night... overall I really like it compared to my old 9K. 

Couple of observations compared to my old 9K (both are size medium, also I've previously worn the following girdles: Easton Synergy HSG, Bauer One.8, Easton Synergy circa '03ish, and an old Bauer one from the late 90's)...

- it's def lighter, something I noticed more as I started playing, it just felt more streamlined but without sacrificing any protection (actually felt more protective in spots: tailbone, kidney, and even the hips).

- The thigh boards, I was concerned about them since they're now connected in 2 spots compared to just 1 on the 9K, I was worried it would feel more confined but I never noticed during my game.  Another thing about the thigh that I didn't notice when I first tried the girdle on at home... it's much narrower/tighter, I have skinny legs and the strap barely makes it 1/4 way on to the velcro on front before I feel it's too tight.  The straps on my 9K were so worn out with hardly any elasticity left in them so it took a few mins to get used to the tighter fit.

- Spine protector... this thing is huge! The 9K barely had anything there so it's nice to have some added padding back there, I just need to remove the lower back padding I added to my shoulder pads (to make up for the shortcoming of the 9K's spine protection).  I like that you can adjust it up or down a couple of inches, the girdle has a lot of great adjust ability.

- belly strap/closure... this is odd to me, it's almost as if the girdle is confused whether or not it wants to be a traditional step in or a wrap style, personally I'm a traditional step in guy so I would have liked it to be closed like the 9K was but to each their own.

- lack of sock velcro - this was the first thing I was disappointed in since I loved that feature on the 9K.  I ended up taking some velcro and making a tab that connected to the existing loop side on the spandex short (the thigh board connection spot) that went down an inch or so where I could attach my socks to, it worked out great.

So those are my first game observations.  Overall I really like it and look forward to using it more.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, markush said:

How is the weight compared to Total One.8?

I'll have to weigh them later since I still have the Bauer's but I feel like they're similar in weight.  I hated the Bauer's because I felt like they were really lacking protection wise (I even added some additional tailbone padding since it didn't feel like it went down far enough).

On 2017-07-02 at 6:00 PM, Cosmic said:

I stood on a regular body weight digital scale, and the girdle came out to about 4.2 pounds, including the shell (which converts to about 1900 grams). I am not sure if the girdle is lighter and the scale is messed up or what. Also, the shell has a padded belt, like the old Bauer Supreme shells of recent past, so that is adding a bit. Overall, when playing, the girdle feels like nothing compared to those clumsy pants that I was wearing previously. Very happy with the purchase, thus far- we will see how the durability is. 

I'd be interested in the exact weight as well as that seems heavy.. my standard CCM Super Tacks pants in a Medium come out to 2.96 pounds

For the record, I'm 6'2" 265 (bit of a belly), and usually wear XL in pants (most recent being Warrior QRL pants, Bauer supreme 190 girdle before that).

I got both a Super Tacks and 7092 girdle in over the weekend.  The 7092 was used once, the Super Tacks was "pro stock" and brand new.  I'll be skating in the 7092 tonight and I'll update with my first impressions.  I really don't see any difference in the padding aside from a few small things.  Some of this has been mentioned before.

back of the thigh padding - Segmented on the Super Tacks and maybe slightly thicker, non-segmented on the 7092

cushioned area to the right/left of the tailbone protector - lots of vent holes (honeycomb like) on the Super Tacks, Solid on the 7092

Belly strap - Extra cushion above the strap on the Super Tacks, no extra cushion on the 7092

Shorts/Liner - Super Tacks has it, 7092 doesn't and is a true wrap style.  

The weight in my hands feel essentially the same.  Squeezing around on different parts, they seem to have the same amount of padding throughout the girdle.  There obviously is a little more adjustibility to the Super Tacks with regard to the spine protector and the height of the thigh pads.  While the 7092 isn't quite adjustable, because it's a girdle I can still get it strapped down where I want it to.  I may slightly modify the parts that set the height of the thigh guards to raise them up just a hair, but even without doing that, I think these will be plenty comfortable enough.  I'm very interested to see if these will stay up as well as they seem like they will.  Normally with pants I wear suspenders to make sure they stay up well, and even with my Supreme 190 girdle I added suspender buttons to the shell to keep them up.  I hate the internal belt in my Warriors and the belt on the Supreme 190 as they both are more internal and just dig into my hips.

Size wise I'm definitely on the upper end of the sizing for this, but mostly just in my belly (the velcro is just barely all the way on there, any fatter and it'd be a no go.)

I really just don't understand why they added the little shorts liner to the Super Tacks.  As they are, I don't see them serving any purpose at all.  I'd understand a little better if they had stock tabs and maybe a built in jock/cup pouch, but without those it seems like a redundant piece that prevents it from being a true wrap girdle.  I'm going to try and take some side by side pics of the areas I'm talking about as maybe a little better comparison.  Either way these seem to both be pretty well put together, very protective, fairly lightweight, and very mobile. 

UPDATE:  After skating with the 7092 for a couple skates and then the Supertacks, I’ve ended up with the Supertacks.  The 7092 worked great, but I have weirdly proportioned legs and prefer fairly short pants/thigh guards so the adjustability on the supertacks won out.  The belly pad/fastener was a bit short on both and I really don’t find much value on the actual pad there (I’ve got plenty of “natural” cushioning).  I ended up unstitching the belly pad and replacing it with the elastic strap off an old Supreme girdle.  Also, I found the stiff and thin (3/4”) belt to be uncomfortable and replaced it with a 1” nylon tube webbing and a heavy duty YKK buckle.  VERY happy with this setup.   All of the comments about these two running a little small are probably true, especially if you’ve got a belly, but very easy to fix.  The only other place I find them fitting on the small side is the thigh strap, but if that was an issue it’d be an easy fix as well.  The inner shorts on the girdle are a little annoying, but big and stretchy enough I can easily put them on/off while wearing skates.  I do feel like it does a better job keeping the butt padding in place and keeping everything a little bit of a close fit.  I may mod it to add some velcro to function completely like a wrap girdle.  

eGMyK2s.jpg

byLg8Ls.jpg

Edited by jpeaslee
  • Like 1

Any one have issues with the rear thigh pads adjustment that attaches to the inside of the pants, will they rub are interfere with comfort? 

I am a little worried about sizing too. I am 6'3 and 225 lbs with longer legs and larger thighs too.  Any recommendations? thanks

On 8/16/2020 at 3:27 PM, Jagrmullet said:

Any one have issues with the rear thigh pads adjustment that attaches to the inside of the pants, will they rub are interfere with comfort? 

I am a little worried about sizing too. I am 6'3 and 225 lbs with longer legs and larger thighs too.  Any recommendations? thanks

Not sure about the sizing / fit of the super tacks vs jetspeed girdle but I found that the jetspeed in medium was a touch bigger than I'd like so a small would've been perfect. With medium I had to cinch the belt quite a bit.  

For the record I wear a small in the qredge pant, and medium in the ft1 pants.  I also wore a small in the one95 and have yet to wear a vapor pant.

The girdle itself feels good and petty mobile UNTIL I put the shell on. After the shell was on it felt as if the shell itself restricted movement, so I went back to traditional pants.  It's too bad because I really wanted to like the girdle as I like a more snug contour fit overall but it just felt too foreign. 

I must say I really like the fit and protection level of the ft1, but that's for a different thread. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, Jagrmullet said:

I've never noticed any of the adjustment tabs/straps while wearing the girdle.  As for sizing, it runs small  in the waist and thigh wrap/width so you might want to size up if you're between sizes... I'm 5'9" 170lbs with a 32/33 waist and wear a medium in every other girdle with no issues, the Super Tacks girdle is the snuggest I've ever had and the velcro straps just make it around my thighs which are on the skinnier side (my 9K girdle straps are maxed out and are barely snug in comparison), length wise there are no issues as it has a ton of adjustability to shorten or lengthen.

• Like 2

Thinking of getting this girdle as it's on sale at Sportchek (plus I'd really like to try a girdle out). I've been wearing large nexus 800 pants for years now and bought them when I thought I would still be growing haha and while they fit "fine" I think I want to go down to a medium because the legs are a touch long and I really have to tighten the belt to have it sit the way I like on my waist. I noticed some people were saying the tacks fits a little smaller so I'm wondering if a medium in these would be too small? I'm 5"10 165 with a 30 inch waist. 

10 hours ago, sammyg_16 said:

I noticed some people were saying the tacks fits a little smaller so I'm wondering if a medium in these would be too small? I'm 5"10 165 with a 30 inch waist. 

With a 30" waist a senior medium would not be tight in the waist area. Thats not to say elsewhere might be tight as I have no idea of your body shape but waist wise you will be ok.

On 8/18/2020 at 12:08 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

I've never noticed any of the adjustment tabs/straps while wearing the girdle.  As for sizing, it runs small  in the waist and thigh wrap/width so you might want to size up if you're between sizes... I'm 5'9" 170lbs with a 32/33 waist and wear a medium in every other girdle with no issues, the Super Tacks girdle is the snuggest I've ever had and the velcro straps just make it around my thighs which are on the skinnier side (my 9K girdle straps are maxed out and are barely snug in comparison), length wise there are no issues as it has a ton of adjustability to shorten or lengthen.

After some use, has the Super Tacks stretched out a bit?

My 9K is wearing out, especially the thigh pads. There is little elasticity left in the straps, and the mesh around the attachment tabs on the girdle is all torn up. Plus, it’s soooo heavy. I’m thinking of replacing it with a Super Tacks, but not sure on the size. I’m almost exactly the same size as you 5’9”, 160, 32” waist and my Large 9Ks, that were snug when I got them, have stretched out to the point of being pretty loose. I have to pull the belt almost as tight as it will go to keep them up. So I don’t know if I should go with the Medium ST, hoping it will stretch to give a little more room, or stick with the Large. 

2 hours ago, psulion22 said:

After some use, has the Super Tacks stretched out a bit?

Yeah my girdle was almost uncomfortable for like 10 skates, and then it's at the point now where it's just perfect.

It feels like I'm wearing nothing at all.

2 minutes ago, Giltis said:

Yeah my girdle was almost uncomfortable for like 10 skates, and then it's at the point now where it's just perfect.

It feels like I'm wearing nothing at all.

Did you get what the size chart says or did you size up?

3 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Did you get what the size chart says or did you size up?

Oh now I remember why I went with a CCM girdle in the first place. I'm a 34" and went with a Large.

If I wear regular Medium pants, my waist fits well but my thigh gets exposed. But Large pants are too big on me usually. So the girdle was perfect because it had the snug fit that I wanted which loosened up, plus the girdle came with adjustable zippers to lengthen the legs to cover my thighs.