Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

CCM Super Tacks Girdle Initial Thoughts

7 hours ago, psulion22 said:

After some use, has the Super Tacks stretched out a bit?

My 9K is wearing out, especially the thigh pads. There is little elasticity left in the straps, and the mesh around the attachment tabs on the girdle is all torn up. Plus, it’s soooo heavy. I’m thinking of replacing it with a Super Tacks, but not sure on the size. I’m almost exactly the same size as you 5’9”, 160, 32” waist and my Large 9Ks, that were snug when I got them, have stretched out to the point of being pretty loose. I have to pull the belt almost as tight as it will go to keep them up. So I don’t know if I should go with the Medium ST, hoping it will stretch to give a little more room, or stick with the Large. 

My old 9K had zero elastic on the thigh straps anymore lol.  The ST girdle hasn't stretched that I can tell, maybe just loosened a little mobility wise, but if you have larger thighs I'd def go with the large.  The waist would be fine for you in a medium but the thigh pads and straps are def sized on the tiny side (I've never been accused of having large legs, I'm closer to the toothpick end of the spectrum, and the medium has the strap just reaching the velcro on the front, if I had thicker legs these would be stretched out just to reach).

2 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

My old 9K had zero elastic on the thigh straps anymore lol.  The ST girdle hasn't stretched that I can tell, maybe just loosened a little mobility wise, but if you have larger thighs I'd def go with the large.  The waist would be fine for you in a medium but the thigh pads and straps are def sized on the tiny side (I've never been accused of having large legs, I'm closer to the toothpick end of the spectrum, and the medium has the strap just reaching the velcro on the front, if I had thicker legs these would be stretched out just to reach).

Thanks. The thighs on my Large 9Ks don’t fit like a girdle at all. They’re loose and fit more like a regular pant, and that’s with pulling them as tight as it will go. It’s fine, I haven’t noticed it at all to be honest. But a little more snugness might be better. All in all, I got the Latge 9K on the recommendations that they run small and you should size up. After a few years of use, it’s really too big for me. The waist is too big, the thighs are too wide, and the legs are as high as they’ll get and constantly stick out of the bottom of the shell. 

I’m probably just better off getting the medium. At the state my large is in now, it’s really just pants. There’s no reason to get a girdle if it’s going to fit this way. I’m a step in guy too, so a little snugness may be ok. I had an Easton Stealh before this and there just wasn’t enough protection, especially on the back side. It was also tighter in the legs. Hopefully the Super Tacks will be a more protective version of that. 

I'm a step in guy too, just can't get into the wrap styles after wearing step ins since the 90's.  There's not a ton of protection on the back of the legs in either the 9K or ST but, honestly, I haven't seen anything that really offers too much so it's on par with most out there imho.  The ST def has more tailbone protection, and I feel the hip pads wrap me a little more and add a little more in the rear hip/side but area, also the ST has some awesome spine protection which was non existent on the 9K.

13 hours ago, psulion22 said:

The thighs on my Large 9Ks don’t fit like a girdle at all. They’re loose and fit more like a regular pant, and that’s with pulling them as tight as it will go. It’s fine, I haven’t noticed it at all to be honest. But a little more snugness might be better.

What I did on my 9Ks / 8k (integrated pant shell) but could also be done on the ST/7092 is to simply fold the elastic over before the velcro and stitching it in place, effectively shortening the strap. Done in <30 sec and gets it as snug as you might need it. On the 8ks I had a slight overlap in padding (not backed by plastic in that area) iirc from this, but wasn't an issue.

3 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I'm a step in guy too, just can't get into the wrap styles after wearing step ins since the 90's.  There's not a ton of protection on the back of the legs in either the 9K or ST but, honestly, I haven't seen anything that really offers too much so it's on par with most out there imho.  The ST def has more tailbone protection, and I feel the hip pads wrap me a little more and add a little more in the rear hip/side but area, also the ST has some awesome spine protection which was non existent on the 9K.

I had to wear my old Stealth for one game because I wore a Buddy the Elf costume to a charity skate around Xmas and my 9Ks wouldn't fit under the pants.  I honestly couldn't believe that I had been wearing them.  There was literally nothing in the back, on the back of the hips, butt, or tailbone.  My 9K is a huge improvment in that area, so the ST will be good.  

6 minutes ago, gosinger said:

What I did on my 9Ks / 8k (integrated pant shell) but could also be done on the ST/7092 is to simply fold the elastic over before the velcro and stitching it in place, effectively shortening the strap. Done in <30 sec and gets it as snug as you might need it. On the 8ks I had a slight overlap in padding (not backed by plastic in that area) iirc from this, but wasn't an issue.

I have thought about that.  It's what I'll do if I decide not to get a ST.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm at the point now where I'm feeling the weight of the 9K, particularly with the way it's hanging off of me.  Being able to get something that is lighter, but probably just as protective is really appealing.  Like the Marines say, pounds equal pain.  Playing 4-5 times a week in my 40's is not easy to recover from, and any reduction in weight would hopefully help. My biggest thing with the M vs L sizing in the Super Tacks is that with it being discontinued, it's hard to find.  But I see a lot more size M come up on SLS and eBay than larger sizes.  So if I want one, a Medium may have to be what I get.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:49 AM, psulion22 said:

So if I want one, a Medium may have to be what I get.

If you do get one please post on fit. Whilst my 9k is still going strong I know I'm going to have to look for a replacement soon. I'm in a medium and it still fits snuggish, even with the extra 5kgs I've added around the waist this year lol.

I picked up a ST girdle last year but have yet to use it on the ice. While adjusting the girdle fit at home, I noticed that with my shins on, the tight fit of the thigh protection interferes with the top knee plastic and top knee foam pad. This is a dumb question but with a girdle, should I raise the thigh protection high enough to avoid the interference of the shin pad, or should I keep the thigh protection as loose as possible around my leg so it "floats" freely over my knee cap like a traditional pant would? I'm thinking a loose thigh guard defeats the purpose of a girdle. I am 5'-11", 32 waist, and the Medium girdle fits well, but if I were to raise the thigh guards above my shin guards I'd be at -1 on the little velcro indicators...not sure if this is common or not.

1 hour ago, GunnarStahl said:

I picked up a ST girdle last year but have yet to use it on the ice. While adjusting the girdle fit at home, I noticed that with my shins on, the tight fit of the thigh protection interferes with the top knee plastic and top knee foam pad. This is a dumb question but with a girdle, should I raise the thigh protection high enough to avoid the interference of the shin pad, or should I keep the thigh protection as loose as possible around my leg so it "floats" freely over my knee cap like a traditional pant would? I'm thinking a loose thigh guard defeats the purpose of a girdle. I am 5'-11", 32 waist, and the Medium girdle fits well, but if I were to raise the thigh guards above my shin guards I'd be at -1 on the little velcro indicators...not sure if this is common or not.

Did you try with socks on?  Socks will help keep the shin guard flap down and allow the thigh pads to slide more easily.  I've never had my thigh pads tight enough that they wouldn't allow the top flap of the shin guards to slide under, they're snug but not constricting in any way.  With that said, I've always removed (I had a couple pair that the top flap just velocro'd on) or cut the top flap of my shin guards just because I don't like how it sits and don't feel it adds any real protection.  As for the knee cap plastic, when standing straight I've always had my thigh pads kind of just barely resting above the knee cap, that way when I bend in a skating position it sits above the plastic while still providing protection and doesn't protrude from the shell.  This also comes down to personal preference since some people like them lower or higher, and that's the great thing about this girdle (and the 9K), they allow for length adjustment on the thigh pads which lets you experiment til you find what you like.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GunnarStahl said:

I also had the same issue so I would leave the bottom of the girdle loose enough for the top flap of the shins to slide under without binding. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 2:51 AM, Vet88 said:

If you do get one please post on fit. Whilst my 9k is still going strong I know I'm going to have to look for a replacement soon. I'm in a medium and it still fits snuggish, even with the extra 5kgs I've added around the waist this year lol.

I found a set of Mediums on SLS and got them today.  They fit well.  I'm right in the middle of the waist adjustment velcro tab and belt, and just a little inside the maximum thigh length as xstart said I might be.  I might be able to go a little tighter there too.  I'll see how much interference there is once I get them on the ice.  If you're in a Medium 9K, these would probably fit the same or a little bigger.  They're definitely smaller than my Large 9K.

As for protection, these things aren't near the 9K.  They're very much a retail level pad.  The most notable differences are the side/back of the thigh (9K is molded PE, ST is foam), tailbone (9K is much thicker plastic and foam), and the step in portion of the 9K that has additional padding for the hips and groin is not included on the ST.  The ST seems better in the kidney and back area.  With that being said, the missing protection also comes with a significant weight savings.  I don't know that I need the pro level protection the 9K gives to play beer league.  I guess I'll see how much I feel things or get hit over time.  But I know I will welcome the lighter Super Tacks from the minute I step on the ice.  Worst case is I can either go back to the 9K or make up a Frankenstein girdle of the two.

Edited by psulion22
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2021 at 1:42 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

Did you try with socks on?  Socks will help keep the shin guard flap down and allow the thigh pads to slide more easily.  I've never had my thigh pads tight enough that they wouldn't allow the top flap of the shin guards to slide under, they're snug but not constricting in any way.  With that said, I've always removed (I had a couple pair that the top flap just velocro'd on) or cut the top flap of my shin guards just because I don't like how it sits and don't feel it adds any real protection.  As for the knee cap plastic, when standing straight I've always had my thigh pads kind of just barely resting above the knee cap, that way when I bend in a skating position it sits above the plastic while still providing protection and doesn't protrude from the shell.  This also comes down to personal preference since some people like them lower or higher, and that's the great thing about this girdle (and the 9K), they allow for length adjustment on the thigh pads which lets you experiment til you find what you like.

Socks definitely helped push down the top shin tab. I made some fine tuning adjustments to the lengths of the girdle and everything felt fine during the first skate with all gear on.

On 8/18/2020 at 11:08 AM, xstartxtodayx said:

I've never noticed any of the adjustment tabs/straps while wearing the girdle.  As for sizing, it runs small  in the waist and thigh wrap/width so you might want to size up if you're between sizes... I'm 5'9" 170lbs with a 32/33 waist and wear a medium in every other girdle with no issues, the Super Tacks girdle is the snuggest I've ever had and the velcro straps just make it around my thighs which are on the skinnier side (my 9K girdle straps are maxed out and are barely snug in comparison), length wise there are no issues as it has a ton of adjustability to shorten or lengthen.

Do you think a medium would work for a 36" waist?

I'm currently in medium 9k which takes a bit of effort to squeeze into but it gets the job done.

9k is rock solid but way overkill for my needs. I do like the tailbone padding though and wouldn't mind it in a lighter weight package.

8 hours ago, mshman said:

Do you think a medium would work for a 36" waist?

I'm currently in medium 9k which takes a bit of effort to squeeze into but it gets the job done.

9k is rock solid but way overkill for my needs. I do like the tailbone padding though and wouldn't mind it in a lighter weight package.

No way youi'd fit a medium, I'm a 32 waist and the medium is perfect on me.  The thigh pads are way narrower than the 9K was, I would go large if I were you.  

• Like 2

No way youi'd fit a medium, I'm a 32 waist and the medium is perfect on me.  The thigh pads are way narrower than the 9K was, I would go large if I were you.  

Did you find the ST tailbone padding to be considerably worse than the 9k or other pro stock options?

1 hour ago, mshman said:

Did you find the ST tailbone padding to be considerably worse than the 9k or other pro stock options?

The Super Tacks tailbone padding is much better than 9K tailbone padding imo, it covers more area to the sides with segmented parts and extends farther downwards.  I have not tried other pro stock options but have had Coopers back in the 90's, Tackla, and Easton and had a Bauer wrap style for a little bit that I hated (I prefer more traditional step in girdles or the CCM hybrid style like the 9K/ST).  Overall I find the ST girdle more protective than the 9K was and it's lighter, it's a win-win for me.

• Like 1

The Super Tacks tailbone padding is much better than 9K tailbone padding imo, it covers more area to the sides with segmented parts and extends farther downwards.  I have not tried other pro stock options but have had Coopers back in the 90's, Tackla, and Easton and had a Bauer wrap style for a little bit that I hated (I prefer more traditional step in girdles or the CCM hybrid style like the 9K/ST).  Overall I find the ST girdle more protective than the 9K was and it's lighter, it's a win-win for me.

Didn't realize I already asked you in the other thread. Thanks.

How did the lengths compare between the 9k and ST? I'm 5'5" and my days of a 30" waist are long gone. 😄 I thought the 9k medium length was okay at the shortest setting.

17 hours ago, mshman said:

Didn't realize I already asked you in the other thread. Thanks.

How did the lengths compare between the 9k and ST? I'm 5'5" and my days of a 30" waist are long gone. 😄 I thought the 9k medium length was okay at the shortest setting.

I don't remember exactly since I've been wearing the ST for like 3+ years now but I know the ST I have adjusted up to the -1" mark and it sits just above my knee still (I'm 5'9"), so I want to say the thighs run a little longer but not 100% positive lol

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 9:18 AM, xstartxtodayx said:

I’m a 33” waist but I’m 6’3”.  Can I adjust the medium to be long enough or should I go with a large?

18 hours ago, shooter27 said:

I’m a 33” waist but I’m 6’3”.  Can I adjust the medium to be long enough or should I go with a large?

I think the waist would be fine and depending where you like the thigh pads sitting you might be ok.  I have mine adjusted -1" and they sit just above my knee cap pad when standing, a little on the longer side than most like I'm guessing.  They can go as much as +1" so you might have to try them on, or get a large to be safe.

On 7/30/2023 at 9:21 AM, xstartxtodayx said:

I don't remember exactly since I've been wearing the ST for like 3+ years now but I know the ST I have adjusted up to the -1" mark and it sits just above my knee still (I'm 5'9"), so I want to say the thighs run a little longer but not 100% positive lol

I ordered the large and I like it.

The velcro landing pads on both locations to attach the thigh pads are long enough to allow for an even shorter length than the listed -1 (~-1.5 is doable, as I recall). This is the shortest thigh length I've been able to attain from any pant/girdle that can accommodate my 36" waist.

Speaking of waist, the belly velcro is just barely able to attach. Motivation to lose weight, I guess.

I like my thighs to be wider (I set the 9k to the widest opening) and the ST's, adjusted to the widest opening, feels pretty tight (but can't say it's been noticeable on ice).

I picked up a large PPTK for the ST. It fits okay (shell fit looks like pants rather than a girdle with about 2 inches of overhang in length when sitting) and not huge (unlike the PP90 large on the 9k which looked massive, but PP90 medium was a good fit) or too tight (JS girdle shell medium on the ST is a bit on the tighter side, which I don't mind).

I'm curious if the PPTK medium would be a tighter fit but still overhang the girdle?

As for the ever important (at least to me) tailbone padding, the 9k does have a slight edge in thickness (really only upon close inspection), but I don't think the difference will be hugely noticeable (or, at least, I hope not as the 9k has been a beast in tailbone protection so far but I'd really like it in a lighter weight package, which this most definitely is).

Edited by mshman