Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nutters

2017-2018 Gear Sightings

5 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

If they are team issued gloves, I can live with it. I'd never buy a pair of white mitts for myself. That's just me though ha. There are several dress game habits that irk me. That could be a topic on its own haha.

Agreed, if your team's designated colors/uni's require you to wear white gloves, then not much you can do about it and I'm cool with it. But if an individual chooses to wear white gloves, whether going against his team's color or just a beer leaguer, chances are he's a frickin bender, or he better be the sickest dangler out there, then he can be as flashy as he wants to be. But in my opinion, white gloves, matt black helmet, chrome/reflective visors are typical gear strictly for dusters.

4 hours ago, Coldclay said:

Agreed, if your team's designated colors/uni's require you to wear white gloves, then not much you can do about it and I'm cool with it. But if an individual chooses to wear white gloves, whether going against his team's color or just a beer leaguer, chances are he's a frickin bender, or he better be the sickest dangler out there, then he can be as flashy as he wants to be. But in my opinion, white gloves, matt black helmet, chrome/reflective visors are typical gear strictly for dusters.

Haha you have no argument from this guy.

• Like 1

Howdy,

On 6/27/2017 at 5:20 PM, Coldclay said:

Don't forget colored laces...

...and mine are super bright orange because I like them and realized that I'm old enough to not give a flying fuck what some other wannabe beer league guy thinks about how I dress.

:-)

Mark

• Like 2

On 6/27/2017 at 5:20 PM, Coldclay said:

Or, worry about yourself and your setup and leave everyone else to their own devices. I've met plenty of players with no defining gear trademark that are idiots in their own rights. 

• Like 5

P92 is transitioning to Matthews.  I've already have seen some newer P92 Vapor 1X sticks labeled as Matthews. 

12 hours ago, EBondo said:

The display we have at the store still lists it as an Ovechkin, but wouldn't surprise me since PM9 became Larking and P28 Eichel.

And we saw them on the stick portion of the Bauer tour - I do realize you got the hurried version.

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

And we saw them on the stick portion of the Bauer tour - I do realize you got the hurried version.

Will Ovechkin still be a Bauer athlete?

5 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

Why wouldn't he be?

if Bauer drops him and/or another company makes a deal with him he could easily change. you don't think he wears Bauer because he likes it? he might but I'm sure he'll use any company's gear if they're willing to pay him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shoeshine boy said:

if Bauer drops him and/or another company makes a deal with him he could easily change. you don't think he wears Bauer because he likes it? he might but I'm sure he'll use any company's gear if they're willing to pay him.

Ovechkin has been famously critical of his sponsor's (CCM) sticks in the past, to the point that precipitated the change. So yes it's a sponsorship, but also realize that when you play at an elite level you use the equipment that's best for you because it's critical to your success as a player. So while any pro would consider all the dancing dollar signs in front of him when choosing an endorsement deal I also believe they would not be dumb enough to use what they consider to be an inferior product.

10 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

I think with Ovie it's a situation of which gear he wants to wear (at least, that's the case with the sticks). Otherwise, he had no reason to drop CCM.

https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2011/09/06/washington-capitals-alex-ovechkin-signs-6-year-deal-bauer/

Yet this time he didn't openly use a competitor's stick in front of one of the league's biggest events.

Just look at the names on the patterns and their ages and there's your answer.  They are marketing the young players.

• Like 6

Ovechkin's stats were better before he switched to Bauer. He's older, which is a big factor, as well as correlation does not entail causation, but it's an interesting coincidence.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 9:59 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

It sucks, we never actually got to see anything regarding sticks unfortunately.

20 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

I think with Ovie it's a situation of which gear he wants to wear (at least, that's the case with the sticks). Otherwise, he had no reason to drop CCM.

https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2011/09/06/washington-capitals-alex-ovechkin-signs-6-year-deal-bauer/

So Ovie's contact is about up if he signed a six year deal in September '11. Anyone see if he resigned?

Edited by JGraz15

I haven't heard anything.

But yes, I knew his contract was up this year.  But once again, it doesn't necessarily mean that he isn't going to using their product - he just won't be their top-tier poster boy.

Back in 2011 when Bauer was riding at the crest of the wave, signing OV away from CCM was also a power play move on Bauer's part at the time. Now, those days have come and gone. Time for new faces. They are always changing anyway.  

• Like 2