Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lmooney19

Bauer X900 Skate issue

Question for you guys on here.  Bought my X900s in about March.  Play Mens league maybe twice a week. Nothing too crazy.  Last night i noticed the tongue has been wearing a hole on my inner lining, above the ankle. It looks like the stitching on the tongue is rubbing against it. I dont tuck my shin pads or do anything else that would cause this wear. Its over 90 days (hardly), but do you think Bauer would fix this?  I emailed the warranty team and they gave me a standard message that hockey equipment does take wear and tear but to send them pictures anyway. Has anyone had this happen and did Bauer fix it?  I wouldnt care if it as my equipment doing the damage or from normal play, but the fact that the skate is doing it to itself is really irritating.

Are you sure it's the tongue wearing down the liner? Cause sometimes when you wear shin guards which tapers down at the bottom, the outer shell of the shin guards rubs against the liner when flexing forward. This is quite common when skipping one eyelet..

I skate with all my eyelets done up and i actually wear my shinguards pretty high.  I even can see the red from the liner worn on the tongue quite a bit.  

7 minutes ago, lmooney19 said:

I skate with all my eyelets done up and i actually wear my shinguards pretty high.  I even can see the red from the liner worn on the tongue quite a bit.  

Ok.. 

I dont think you have to worry about the skates.. and i bet a shoe repair shop could fix that easy and cheap if i get worse..

It could very well be the tongue as you cited. The thing to keep in mind is that if they repair it, you more than likely will have the problem again. My liner on my APX got worn from my shins personally. The sides of the tongue on my MX3 is worn from normal use. At the end of the day, I could fix the issues for both skates, but I know it will just happen again. If it doesn't compromise the integrity of your skate, maybe it's best to leave it alone.

happens on my X800 too, I think it's just the tongue rubbing on the boot when you flex forwards. I'll probably try to put a patch over the area when it gets too worn.

IMG_1291-2.jpg

1 hour ago, g3k said:

happens on my X800 too, I think it's just the tongue rubbing on the boot when you flex forwards. I'll probably try to put a patch over the area when it gets too worn.

IMG_1291.jpg

Exactly this. I had the same problem with my Supreme 190's which use the same liner. 

The problem isn't the liner per say, it's the tongue. Maybe there is a rough/hard edge there that can treated to prevent further damage.

It's the tongue, my liner has holes on all 4 corners. It is why I will buy skates with the wear patch next time.

My old skates had a similar problem, I used a self-adhesive mole-skin material that is normally used for blisters on the feet. Cut it to the right shape and stuck it on there. It would last a couple of months and i'd have to replace it. It left a bit of a sticky residue where it attached but it wasn't a big deal since I just reapplied a new mole skin. It prevented skate wear at least. It had to be replaced often enough that it wasn't the best fix but a "good enough" diy fix. I can't stitch through the boot so adhesive is really the only other solution for a patch.

For a more permanent/professional job I'd take them in to LHS or even a boot place, and they may be able to sew on a leather wear patch.