Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

CCM P30 Curve vs P14

So I went into the store today to check out the new P30 only to noticed a strong similarity to Bauers P14. The short blade kind of caught my eye. Here are some pics next to the P14. IMO it's basically the same thing...

2E575BD7-517B-4CDB-8B41-9F4C1226026C_zps

8F301B76-ABF9-4635-82B0-6B6C11A8DA04_zps

D4A654E6-194E-4DCA-A098-7371A35DACC8_zps

405B44EA-96A8-44B4-8A7F-732717EC4F40_zps

The ccm is not as open throughout the blade as the p14, and the toe kink is not as aggressive. It's a much more appealing curve for toe curve users 

12 hours ago, 60PlusWinger said:

Scott Bjugstad developed the P14 as well. In person they look almost identical.

I don't think they do at all. The p14 opens and twists almost at the mid-toe where as the p30 only twists on the bottom of the toe to give it an added wedge more than anything. The only real similarity is the profile. They don't shoot similar at all.

Compared to the P14, The P30 blade is more rockered and has a closed face.  The curve on the P14 is more mid/mid-toe, whereas the P30 has a noticeable kink right at the toe.  

The toe kink on the P30 is different than any other retail curve I am aware of.  I think a closer comparison would be the P28, but the rocker and curve still have subtle differences.  I really want to try this curve out, if they make it available on a low kick stick I will get one for sure.  

Ive used a p88 and P28. I always found myself going back to the P88 as it felt really comfy..but missing some of toe from the P28.

The P30 is essentially the first 3/4 of the P88 up to the last 1/4 for the toe..where its more P28 (but no where as aggressive). There rocker for the curve is around the middle of the blade which to my feel..is much more forward of that on the P88 (similar rocker to a P29/P92)

Its a great curve, feels chilled like the P88, but very easy to "pull in, and shoot" like the P28.

P88 users wont find it too hard to transition..

On 6/24/2017 at 5:15 PM, Giraffe14 said:

Compared to the P14, The P30 blade is more rockered and has a closed face.  The curve on the P14 is more mid/mid-toe, whereas the P30 has a noticeable kink right at the toe.  

The toe kink on the P30 is different than any other retail curve I am aware of.  I think a closer comparison would be the P28, but the rocker and curve still have subtle differences.  I really want to try this curve out, if they make it available on a low kick stick I will get one for sure.  

I suspect that the P30 will be available in the Ribcor 2 line. Hopefully other stick companies will adopt this curve too if they think that the retail crowd will buy in.

45 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I suspect that the P30 will be available in the Ribcor 2 line. Hopefully other stick companies will adopt this curve too if they think that the retail crowd will buy in.

I'm guessing it'll be a hard sell if it's as close to the P28 as it seems from what's been shown and written online. P46 and P14 are also siblings of the P28 and it seems the P28 is simply the market choice in that area, for whatever reason. I could be wrong, but my prediction is it won't be around at significant production scale in 3 years.

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

I'm guessing it'll be a hard sell if it's as close to the P28 as it seems from what's been shown and written online. P46 and P14 are also siblings of the P28 and it seems the P28 is simply the market choice in that area, for whatever reason. I could be wrong, but my prediction is it won't be around at significant production scale in 3 years.

I've held it in my hands and sized it up in the store but haven't shot with it. I would say it's significantly unlike the P28 and would not play the same as that curve. I would never use the P28 personally, but coming from a P88/P40 and occasional use of an E3, I would like to try the P30.

Colin

6 hours ago, colins said:

I've held it in my hands and sized it up in the store but haven't shot with it. I would say it's significantly unlike the P28 and would not play the same as that curve. I would never use the P28 personally, but coming from a P88/P40 and occasional use of an E3, I would like to try the P30.

Colin

It might play differently (I didn't say it wouldn't!), but it's still a sibling of the E28, like those others (P14, P46), which also play differently and are significantly unlike the P28. They're also significantly like it...but that's just identity semantics.

Time will tell if the market accepts the E30 like it has the E28 (for now), or not.

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, colins said:

Colin

Coming from a P88/P40 you wont have too long transitioning. It feels more natural then going from a P88 to a E3.

After having used the P30 a few times on ice, and then after one ice session, going to HM to shot around with the X92, W88, W71, and X28, I'd say that the P30 shoots most like the W71. Even tho Warrior lists the W71 as an open mid curve, I find W71 to be more like a slightly open toe curve. The major difference from P30 to W71 is that the W71 is a bit more "banana-ish," which may make stick handling and puck retrieval a bit tricky. I have never used W71 on ice though, so I cannot really say- I did use BC71 on ice and it was banana'ish and tricky, to say the least. BC71 is more closed than W71, and has less rocker, so to relate the W71 to BC71, may not be fair as they are IMO very different.

The nice thing about P30 is that it seems relatively straight from heel to toe (not banana'ish), like a P88 (which makes handling easy), except that it has a nice closed toe, for being able to rip quick toe shot wristers, as well as being able to pull the puck in a bit when moving through traffic (either for toe drags or to simply pull a loose puck toward me, on a puck retrieval/ 50/50 type puck). Backhand shots on the P30 felt great as well, on ice/ in little mini games during a camp. P30 really does seem like the best of all worlds, for me anyway, but I am still in the early stages. After a few bad, competitive games, I am sure that I will find something wrong with it, and need a new curve HAHA!

I do not think I have ever shot with the P14, but I did look at it in the shop. The P14 is alot more open than P30, and I do not find it to be as much of a toe curve. I think that the P30 is a true toe curve, while the P14 seems to curve more toward the middle of the blade (so I'd call it a mid/toe curve).

On 7/18/2017 at 7:00 PM, Cosmic said:

After having used the P30 a few times on ice, and then after one ice session, going to HM to shot around with the X92, W88, W71, and X28, I'd say that the P30 shoots most like the W71. Even tho Warrior lists the W71 as an open mid curve, I find W71 to be more like a slightly open toe curve. The major difference from P30 to W71 is that the W71 is a bit more "banana-ish," which may make stick handling and puck retrieval a bit tricky. I have never used W71 on ice though, so I cannot really say- I did use BC71 on ice and it was banana'ish and tricky, to say the least. BC71 is more closed than W71, and has less rocker, so to relate the W71 to BC71, may not be fair as they are IMO very different.

The nice thing about P30 is that it seems relatively straight from heel to toe (not banana'ish), like a P88 (which makes handling easy), except that it has a nice closed toe, for being able to rip quick toe shot wristers, as well as being able to pull the puck in a bit when moving through traffic (either for toe drags or to simply pull a loose puck toward me, on a puck retrieval/ 50/50 type puck). Backhand shots on the P30 felt great as well, on ice/ in little mini games during a camp. P30 really does seem like the best of all worlds, for me anyway, but I am still in the early stages. After a few bad, competitive games, I am sure that I will find something wrong with it, and need a new curve HAHA!

I do not think I have ever shot with the P14, but I did look at it in the shop. The P14 is alot more open than P30, and I do not find it to be as much of a toe curve. I think that the P30 is a true toe curve, while the P14 seems to curve more toward the middle of the blade (so I'd call it a mid/toe curve).

Both you and I had the same concern with the P28 in fast games on contested pucks.  Do you find that the P30 improves in that area over the P28, more P88-ish?  A blade that combines P88 consistency with the improved velocity on shots of the P29 would get me to try the new Trigger.

23 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Both you and I had the same concern with the P28 in fast games on contested pucks.  Do you find that the P30 improves in that area over the P28, more P88-ish?  A blade that combines P88 consistency with the improved velocity on shots of the P29 would get me to try the new Trigger.

Absolutely. Puck pickups are seamless and stickhandling is easier with P30, even compared to the P88, because of just the slightly extra rocker. The lack of rocker on the P88 made me too robotic/ predictable/ stiff/ handcuffed.

I do not think that my shots are faster, as much as my release is just faster, as I can cup the puck at the toe and just fling it fast. With the P88, I was shooting traditional wristers that just seemed to take forever to launch (and I often was whiffing on the shot, when I tried to shoot off the toe, because there was just a lack of blade on ice when I tried to toe shoot).

Everything is just better, faster (making maneuvers with the puck and getting things done, not so much the shot velocity, it's the same I think but I do not have a radar so I do not know), and easier with the P30.

1 minute ago, Cosmic said:

Absolutely. Puck pickups are seamless and stickhandling is easier than on the P88, because of just the slightly extra rocker. The lack of rocker on the P88 made me too robotic/ predictable/ stiff/ handcuffed.

I do not think that my shots are faster, as much as my release is just faster, and I can cup the puck at the toe and just fling it fast. With the P88, I was shooting traditional wristers that just seemed to take forever to launch (and I often was whiffing on the shot, when I tried to shoot off the toe, because there was just a lack of blade on ice when I tried to toe shoot).

Everything is just better, faster (making maneuvers with the puck and getting things done, not so much the shot velocity, it's the same I think but I do not have a radar so I do not know), and easier with the P30.

Sounds good.  Thanks

Do you feel that the dead spot found on the P28 is absent on the P30 because of the more gradual transition from mid curve to toe?  So you can release a puck from anywhere without that flutter and wobble?  That would be the seller for me.

I am not sure what the dead spot on the P28 is that you are referring to. I have a dead blade on my X88 because I think I just took one too many unnecessary full blast clappers in warmups off of it. But yes, there is no longer flutter and wobble on my passes, which I used to have on P88 a bit (I think this was due to my having been clueless on how to pass tho, as it corrected itself after I learned some technique). The P30 does make passing easier for me tho, I do not have to think about it, it just works.

I am not touting the P30 as the be all/ end all for everyone; it just works for me and my relatively upright posture and lack of fundamentals the way that one is supposed to do everything (top hand way forward, roll the wrists, etc.- I do not do any of that stuff- I just half muscle the puck, and half let the stick do the work, and have a technique/ muscle memory from years of street hockey shooting with a curve like retail Iginla and the little orange balls. So for guys like me who elevate pucks with ease, and for whom these technical aspects of shooting do not seem comfortable/ natural, it's a good curve.

12 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I am not sure what the dead spot on the P28 is that you are referring to. I have a dead blade on my X88 because I think I just took one too many unnecessary full blast clappers in warmups off of it. But yes, there is no longer flutter and wobble on my passes, which I used to have on P88 a bit (I think this was due to my having been clueless on how to pass tho, as it corrected itself after I learned some technique). The P30 does make passing easier for me tho, I do not have to think about it, it just works.

I am not touting the P30 as the be all/ end all for everyone; it just works for me and my relatively upright posture and lack of fundamentals the way that one is supposed to do everything (top hand way forward, roll the wrists, etc.- I do not do any of that stuff- I just half muscle the puck, and half let the stick do the work, and have a technique/ muscle memory from years of street hockey shooting with a curve like retail Iginla and the little orange balls. So for guys like me who elevate pucks with ease, and for whom these technical aspects of shooting do not seem comfortable/ natural, it's a good curve.

If I decide to pick up a $150 price point CCM over a (heavily discounted) 1N or Xcore 9, the P30 sounds like a good curve to try.

16 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

There is a spot on the P28, right where the toe begins to hook, that would cause passes and shots to wobble if you released from there because the puck was really only touching part of the blade - either the flat mid/heel or curved toe.  So to get crisp, hard shots/passes, you had to release the puck before or after that spot so it was fully in one of the two zones.  This often was a problem when under pressure because I wouldn't have time to get the puck all the way to the toe.  The thing about the P30 is that it has the mid curve of the P88 with a little torque at the toe, so the difference isn't as pronounced and you may get more blade contact in that intermediate area.

I admittedly have not used the X28 as much as the X88. I mean, I may have used X28 for 3 tourney games and 6 pickups, and just found it to not jive at all my my lack of skill. X88 jived better but was not perfect- I used X88  for maybe 50 league/ tourney games and 200 pickups. Thus far, I'd say I have used the P30 for one "competitive friendly," and maybe 6 or so pickups.

So, I did not notice this nuance of the X28 (I just noticed bigger, more detrimental stuff in my short time with it).