Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoftwareDev

Where do you get your equipment?

Monkey ships out of TX usually, 4-5 days to NYC area. I think it's about the same for ice warehouse.

I am lucky enough (or unlucky, due to the cost of living out here) to live 10 minutes away from Monkey and 20 minutes away from Giant.  And Ice Warehouse is up the coast and we get free next day shipping.  Not really much point in buying from anywhere else due to MAP on most of the stuff I want.

Since i'm Swedish and most American based stores dont ship overseas, i buy most of my gear from Swedish stores.

teamsportiaonline.se

monkeysports.eu

hockeylaget.se

but also from a few other european sites, hps-sport-shop.de, hokejam.lv

IW is my first choice because of the free overnight shipping and 15% off. 

Next choice is Monkey or Total/Pure but they’re both pretty long shipping times. 

Is there any type of protection equipment in each category I should avoid buying as a newb or is it all going to work pretty well just starting out? (Shin / shoulder / elbow / pants / helmet)

4 minutes ago, SoftwareDev said:

Is there any type of protection equipment in each category I should avoid buying as a newb or is it all going to work pretty well just starting out? (Shin / shoulder / elbow / pants / helmet)

From my experience, you're likely to take shots off the shin, smack your head, and fall on your elbows. Moderate protection for your tail and shoulders are just fine. I'd spend more on a bucket, shin guards, and elbows. You can go mid to lower end of the spectrum on shoulders and pants. You don't want to buy the absolute cheapest on much of anything, but you don't have to throw down 180 bucks on the newest shoulder pads as an example. All of that protection isn't needed unless you're playing in a contact league.

4 minutes ago, vinprun71 said:

From my experience, you're likely to take shots off the shin, smack your head, and fall on your elbows. Moderate protection for your tail and shoulders are just fine. I'd spend more on a bucket, shin guards, and elbows. You can go mid to lower end of the spectrum on shoulders and pants. You don't want to buy the absolute cheapest on much of anything, but you don't have to throw down 180 bucks on the newest shoulder pads as an example. All of that protection isn't needed unless you're playing in a contact league.

Awesome thanks for the input!

40 minutes ago, SoftwareDev said:

at 5'5'' anyone know of an appropriate stick length, I was thinking 53-55" does that sound way off?

there's no definitive answer, it's a whole lot of preference.

https://www.hockeystickman.com/blogs/hockey-stick-alerts/10681461-what-is-the-right-hockey-stick-length

you got short tiny guys like datsyuk, karlsson and marchand using long sticks, you got behemoths like lindros using a stick barely at his collar bone.  

16 hours ago, SoftwareDev said:

at 5'5'' anyone know of an appropriate stick length, I was thinking 53-55" does that sound way off?

All preference. My recommendation is to put skates on and grip the stick at different heights until the most blade is on the ice, when the top of the stick is resting in your hand by your side. I know that line may be confusing, so take the time to read what I'm getting at. I normally hack off three inches from all 60 inch sticks. I'm 5ft 10in for reference. At the end of the day though, it's still all preference. Some people like longer sticks, while some like shorter.

Hmm...I'm (or at least was a long time ago) an IW member and they charged me shipping on my last order. It was still cheaper and faster than any other place. 

2 hours ago, .am said:

Hmm...I'm (or at least was a long time ago) an IW member and they charged me shipping on my last order. It was still cheaper and faster than any other place. 

Free overnight shipping is over $50 within California. No idea what their rates are otherwise.

They probably use something like Norco. When monoprice used them, they used to charge $3.50 flat rate per package for California overnight. Now they use something else and calling it their own for pretty cheap still ($7 I think). Monoprice has to charge though as some products they sell are less than $1.

On 6/26/2017 at 1:13 PM, SoftwareDev said:

What's shipping timelines like for those two? 5-6 days?

Icewarehouse takes a week to get to Maryland from California 

Hockeymonkey ships from there closest store with the item so it's usually 3-4 days using the cheapest option 

12 minutes ago, Jgscenter said:

Icewarehouse takes a week to get to Maryland from California 

Hockeymonkey ships from there closest store with the item so it's usually 3-4 days using the cheapest option 

That’s your punishment for living in Maryland ;)

LHS - Blueline Sports in my case for skates (I can sell them back for a discount on a new set)

Pure for most other things because its close by.