Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason

Bauer 3D Skate Lab

No it didn't. I don't usually embed things in my posts. I fixed it now. Looks interesting though...

1 hour ago, Jason said:

No it didn't. I don't usually embed things in my posts. I fixed it now. Looks interesting though...

It is. Went to Montreal a couple of weeks ago to train on it. 

58 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

If you can say, is it a custom skate within the 3 existing lines? Or a new one.

Genuinely surprised it took this long. The tech has been there for years. 

Fantastic way to fit socks. 😜

12 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

VH footwear competition?

It does not look that way yet. I think for now, this is just to fit of-the-shelf skates which are still Vapor, Supreme, Nexus. Perhaps this also can be used while ordering customs.

14 hours ago, Jason said:

I wish I fit into a pair of Bauer goalie skates... I wonder if there will actually say "sorry, buy something else"

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

It does not look that way yet. I think for now, this is just to fit of-the-shelf skates which are still Vapor, Supreme, Nexus. Perhaps this also can be used while ordering customs.

Interesting. Would be cool to try out the process.

8 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

If it's just to fit you into one of the 3 lines it seems like a waste of R&D and materials money.

11 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

All of the above.

We’ll have more detail posted when it’s closer to launch. 

23 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Was there on the same trip, extremely cool to see it live. Can't wait to get it in my store.

4 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

If it's just to fit you into one of the 3 lines it seems like a waste of R&D and materials money.

Who knows. Perhaps they have plans to do VH thing, but more likely, it is just to push their product. People who go shopping for skates, will more likely buy into the gimmickry of the device and end up getting the Bauer skates. People like shiny things. Plus you can go in the lhs, stand on the thing, then go to online store and order what "Dr. Scholl's" prescribed without feeling bad for the store associate to go back and forth to storage to fetch you multiple pairs of skates. We'll see where this goes. Even if people abuse it as in above example, Bauer still wins, so any investment in to this thing will pay off.

I think Bauer need to work on a more revolutionary design in stead. Something one-piece or fewer parts. I really like where CCM went and I think they have moved ahead of Bauer tech-wise. True/VH will still have a better fit I'm sure. I already have Bauer customs that fit very well, so I doubt I will stand to gain anything from this new offering.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I think Bauer need to work on a more revolutionary design in stead. Something one-piece or fewer parts. I really like where CCM went and I think they have moved ahead of Bauer tech-wise. True/VH will still have a better fit I'm sure. I already have Bauer customs that fit very well, so I doubt I will stand to gain anything from this new offering.

Not everyone agrees. I had a lengthy discussion with the guys at General Sports in Edina about this last fall and they were all pretty skeptical of VH because its overly restrictive on range-of-motion in the ankle. They were supremely impressed by CCM's JetSpeeds and especially SuperTacks. I haven't worn those, but from what I got out of their reviews of them, they were more in line with the feeling of a traditional hockey skate, but with a significant dose of the fit and performance benefits of VH. I agree with them that the problem with VH right now is it's still too much of a speed skate trying to fit in as a hockey skate. They don't have far to go to fix that, but until they do, I think there'll be plenty of people who prefer the fit of CCM's latest skates to VH. Sure the boot bakes better to the foot, but if it bakes too well and gets too high or too close to where your leg and foot need to go in separate directions, that's a major demerit in the fit category.

VH was the first skate with "modern" materials (non-leather boot) that I've been able to lace all the way up and still have forward flex and movement.  I'd be curious to know if any of the "General Sports guys"  have used the skates , or were just speculating. It wouldn't be the first time a shop talked up a product they stocked over one they didn't.  

Could we set up a separate thread for the Bauer 3-D Fit ? I know it's new gear but a stand alone thread might be easier to follow.

4 hours ago, Monty22 said:

VH was the first skate with "modern" materials (non-leather boot) that I've been able to lace all the way up and still have forward flex and movement.  I'd be curious to know if any of the "General Sports guys"  have used the skates , or were just speculating. It wouldn't be the first time a shop talked up a product they stocked over one they didn't.  

I can't remember if it was from word of mouth or if they had tried them, but it was definitely a critique on analyzing how they fit. The most vocal of the "'guys'" said they were cut too high. I disagreed saying they were actually on par with Graf's lower cut boots. Compared to Grafs though, they fit really close to ankle, which is where I think the limited range of motion comes from. My experience is only with MLX, though, not proper VH, so I'm going off of the cut of the boot being pretty much the same. In my experience I did encounter the limited range of motion problem, especially when what I needed was full ankle aversion (see Schwartz's left foot-to-leg angle below). This is a conversation that happened 7/8-months ago so I can't remember specifics.

458014074_slide.jpg

Sounds to me like their point of view is coming either someone who used a softer traditional skate and made the switch to VHs or a whole lot of speculation. I get more range of motion in VH than the other high end Bauers I've had. Also lace tension plays a small part in this discussion as well. 

Just out of curiosity- Is Schwartz even wearing VHs in that pic @flip12? I know he wears VH now, but that pic is old and the shape of the boot looks more like his old Reeboks.

5 hours ago, Monty22 said:

I have not ever had a modern material skate that I have been able to lace all the way up and still have adaquite forward flex/movement...  I have been forced into either dropping an eyelet or skipping 2nd eyelet on every modern material boot I have tried, which are quite a few.

If I had the money right now (which I dont...) your comment alone is enough to make me want to try VH

I think it's the first necessary step to where custom skate production will move to. Scan the foot then build the boot in a 3D printer from the scan. Mass custom production done easily and from anywhere in the world (once the scan stations are rolled out). If this was the case, would you honestly buy anything else except....

It's off topic but I'm really interested in seeing how well the 70k works. I like the idea of a boot that will flex through the mid section so it follows the shape of your foot as it bends, more like how a shoe flexes instead of a rigid boot. I hope Bauer does some work on this.