Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Do you P28 guys keep your stick longer or shorter?

I've been using the P28 for a while but after watching some Tim Turk videos I've noticed that he's an advocate for sticks being as long and as whippy as possible but have you P28 guys gone longer or shorter with your stick to get the most out of shooting probably? I understand it's preference but looking for some deeper insight on this.

17 minutes ago, 60PlusWinger said:

I've been using the P28 for a while but after watching some Tim Turk videos I've noticed that he's an advocate for sticks being as long and as whippy as possible but have you P28 guys gone longer or shorter with your stick to get the most out of shooting probably? I understand it's preference but looking for some deeper insight on this.

Shorter for the P28 and I've tried it at different lengths. Using the P92 and P88 I felt that the curves were fine for accuracy shooting from any distance away from my body, but the P28 the closer to the body the more accurate my shots are. As well with this and other toe curves, being more over the blade allows for me to get more off my shot.

Went from a p29 to a p28 and didn't really make a change at least not specifically for the blade. My sticks were 52" but on a whim I decided to try 53" and I liked it enough to add a 1" butt end to all my sticks.

3 hours ago, 60PlusWinger said:

I've been using the P28 for a while but after watching some Tim Turk videos I've noticed that he's an advocate for sticks being as long and as whippy as possible ...

I think this is all well and good for guys who have strong, coordinated hands, moves, and good skating. For me (having none of the aforementioned), I require a shorter stick so I can have decent puck control in basic situations. With the P28, I do not need to go shorter than I do with the P88, it is just the same (around the collar bone without skateS)

3 hours ago, nutters said:

Shorter for the P28 and I've tried it at different lengths. Using the P92 and P88 I felt that the curves were fine for accuracy shooting from any distance away from my body, but the P28 the closer to the body the more accurate my shots are. As well with this and other toe curves, being more over the blade allows for me to get more off my shot.

I keep the P88 full length, P92 -1 inch and P28 has been -1 inch too but I'm considering going full length Bauer for it.

i have found that i have been going about a quarter to half inch short than i normally do, and taping a slighly bigger knob. the shorter length seems to help getting my hands in position and really "loading up the toe" as Scott Bjugstad says in his shooting videos

I want to try my own P28 this fall (I've just tried some of the U15's P28's which have been pretty short on me and insanely long on them). I usually use a PM9 with a mid-toe kink, cut to around my chin barefoot. P28 I plan on going a tiny bit shorter because of the slightly higher lie and more aggressive toe rocker, but I'm going to try it cut to my chin barefoot again first.

When I switched from the P92 to the P28, I added just a bit of length...maybe 1.5 inches. I wasn't so much worried about the toe as I was about getting the lie right. The 92 is a 6 lie which I cut to your standard length (chin on skates).

Seems to work just fine. Maybe I could do more to help load up on the toe but there is more to it than just shooting. 

15 hours ago, 60PlusWinger said:

It depends on the lie of the stick versus the lie on your previous stick, and how you like to position your hands. The higher the lie, the closer the blade must be to you in order for it to sit flat. Generally, lower lies equal longer stick, higher lies equate to a bit shorter sticks.

In the days of the wooden stick, you went with the shortest stick possible for quickness (sticks were heavy). Forwards often had sticks chest high). Now, modern sticks are so light that they can be moved quickly, even at longer lengths. Today, you should use a stick as long as possible. My stick is probably 3 or 3.5 inches longer than when I played in college in the 80's.  Look at pros like Marchand. His stick goes to his forehead.

2 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

It depends on the lie of the stick versus the lie on your previous stick, and how you like to position your hands. The higher the lie, the closer the blade must be to you in order for it to sit flat. Generally, lower lies equal longer stick, higher lies equate to a bit shorter sticks.

In the days of the wooden stick, you went with the shortest stick possible for quickness (sticks were heavy). Forwards often had sticks chest high). Now, modern sticks are so light that they can be moved quickly, even at longer lengths. Today, you should use a stick as long as possible. My stick is probably 3 or 3.5 inches longer than when I played in college in the 80's.  Look at pros like Marchand. His stick goes to his forehead.

Sidney Crosby would disagree.

I didn't cut any length off going from P88 to P28. But I do have to hold my bottom hand a little lower on the P28 to be able to open the face and get the blade closer to my body. 

1 hour ago, colins said:

Sidney Crosby would disagree.

He still uses pleather gloves, E-Pros, his jr. blade pattern, antique protective, and was one of the last guys in the league using wood blades. It seems when he reached full height he stopped changing anything about his equipment. He's preserved in the amber of 90's equipment.

I don't cut any of my P28 sticks. Partly because I'd use more of the toe of the blade than the heal. The other reason is because I shoot RH-ed while being RH dominate and naturally grip my sticks lower than I probably should haha. As for the P88/P46 curves, I'd go back and forth with length. Most times, I'd go with shorter cuts. This would encourage more use of the whole blade. I like the P28 blade because it allows for me to shoot with my wrists more. I don't see myself using another curve for a while.

8 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

Did you consult with him on the P28?

No, but the statement didn't say that, it said "Today, you should use a stick as long as possible. My stick is probably 3 or 3.5 inches longer than when I played in college in the 80's.  Look at pros like Marchand. His stick goes to his forehead.". 

There is no one-size-fits all rule for stick length, and anyone who states that "you should do this" is missing that point. For every Marchand example you can name, there's a Crosby doing exactly the opposite, with better results.

Marchand's been using the same wooden end plug since he was 16, and in Boston they made him cut his stick shorter so he could handle the puck better in the corners.

colins

38 minutes ago, colins said:

No, but the statement didn't say that, it said "Today, you should use a stick as long as possible. My stick is probably 3 or 3.5 inches longer than when I played in college in the 80's.  Look at pros like Marchand. His stick goes to his forehead.". 

There is no one-size-fits all rule for stick length, and anyone who states that "you should do this" is missing that point. For every Marchand example you can name, there's a Crosby doing exactly the opposite, with better results.

Marchand's been using the same wooden end plug since he was 16, and in Boston they made him cut his stick shorter so he could handle the puck better in the corners.

colins

If you think about it, a lot of older players do use shorter sticks (Crosby, Ovi, Malkin).

The newer superstars seem to be using longer sticks. This includes players like McDavid, Eichel and Laine. Both Eichel and Laine actually use very long sticks. 

In the end I think it just comes down to preference and what type of game you play. I've been told as a winger to use a smaller stick for better control in the corners. I have also been told to use a longer stick for better shooting and all-around defence. 

On 7/2/2017 at 8:57 AM, 60PlusWinger said:

Tim Turk really does use a long stick! That thing goes to his eyebrows on skates! Thanks for introducing him to me.

So for myself, in 2015-2016 after watching a heap of NHL and youtube videos I started using 95-85 flex sticks cut down to my clavicle (-1.5 inch off a new stick to get it there) and I could never get the P28 to work for me at that length. I stopped trying to use it after a few weeks and went to the P29 and TC3's which were my go to blade patterns. My preference for the short sticks came from the great control you get and the really hard slapshots/one timers I could get off. (The dudes in the videos were right!)

Now, come 2017 and watching a heap of NHL and youtube videos noticed the longer sticks more and more so naturally I decided to try using longer sticks. They were still 95-85 flex but had +3 inch plug (onto a new stick) or a +4.5 inch plug onto my already short sticks. They came to just below my nose. Unfortunately I found the TC3 became unusable at that length :( but the P29 and P28 were awesome so I kept them long. I found the whip from the extra length let you flex the stick so much more and shots just would just shoot off with ease. At this length I found it really easy with the P28 to load the puck on the toe for shooting. I could also receive passes on the heel/mid without much trouble which I think was due to the P28 and P29 rocker.

Now (since April 2017) I've been using the P28 and P29 with +2 inch extensions (on an uncut/new stick) and I'm really liking them. The stick comes to my bottom lip when on skates. I'll try the TC3 at this length soon I think. But in all honesty I'm pretty much only using the P28 now and am not in a rush to swap or introduce new patterns.

Tl;dr.

I like the P28 on a longer stick. 

9 hours ago, colins said:

You carefully deleted the phrases "it depends" and "generally" from my statement. Took what I said out of context. Bad form. Do you work for CNN?

OP specifically asked if guys go longer or shorter with this stick.

My P28 sticks are one inch longer than the P92s I have. The lower lie is what caused me to keep an extra inch. I get the right amount of blade on the ice with the slightly longer stick.

20 minutes ago, asgoodasdead said:

isn't a 6 lie more open than a 5? and thus require a bit more length for the blade to lay flat than a 5?

Lie 5 has a shaft to ice angle of 45 degrees, while lie 6 has a shaft to ice angle of 47 degrees. 

From my personal collection of off he rack sticks, when I compare them, I found that CCM has the highest lie, followed by Warrior, then Bauer. I think True is the same or very close to Warrior.