Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jlird808

Feet are killing me...do I have flat or medium arches? [Pics inside]

My feet are killing me on ice & in street skates. At first I thought it was just the width of my skates, but I'm now on Nexus EE's and they seem to be wide enuff. 

I'm considering trying the CCM, Superfeet or other insoles now....what do you think of my arches though??

https://goo.gl/photos/GGj66FwTiyeaMFxH9

First post here btw....and thanks!!!

It says your photo is unavailable, so I'm not sure. Are there any pro shops near you? You could also go to your nearest running store and they'd be able to tell you.

Given that you are wearing the right boot size (not talking about width), insoles would be the cheapest fix to consider. Are you using stock insoles? I know my Nexus 8000s OEM/stock soles gave me no support. I need support for those skates since I use them for officiating (where I'm always on my feet). I have flatter feet and I have been using Superfeet since I went to SummerJam 6. SFs have treated my feet well and don't see myself having to use anything else.

As others have said, your photo link doesn't work.Though

Any way. Insoles might help. I know a lot of people swear by them, but for me, they've been a mixed bag. I have flat feet and wide feet and I wear Nexus Ds. I tried superfeet and didn't like the way they felt and just went back to the stock liners. But it doesn't hurt to try. 

But before you do, have you double checked your skate sizing/ fitting. I found that when I wear the wrong sized skate, the first and most obvious sign is pain the arches. Though, that's specific to me. 

8 hours ago, jlird808 said:

My feet are killing me on ice & in street skates. At first I thought it was just the width of my skates, but I'm now on Nexus EE's and they seem to be wide enuff. 

I'm considering trying the CCM, Superfeet or other insoles now....what do you think of my arches though??

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNNNMA3IqEm5p_jIyIeVAKieSNw2nNYyOgVihhq

First post here btw....and thanks!!!

"Link doesn't exist" as far as google is concerned. Where are you feet hurting you? sides, front, top, arch, middle, ankle, heel, toes etc?

Sorry about the bad link! Here we go again...I hope this works. For some reason, the "Insert image from URL" function isn't working....maybe cuz of Google Photos?

Anyways, thanks for the replies!

It sucks bcz there are no real pro shops around me. We live in Hawaii actually (there is an ice and inline rink here!) but both of their pro shops kinda suck, usually being worked by someone who only figure skates anyways. I might be able to hunt someone down who knows his stuff though, and have him check out my Nexus EE's fit.

Regarding where it hurts,  sometimes it feels like ALL OVER the BOTTOMS of my feet..it moves around I guess lol. I'm coming back to hockey after 20yrs off, so I anticipate some pains & strains as I readjust. However, sometimes I can't go 4-5 mins without sitting down. It's definitely my biggest pain right now and it's interfering with getting back into things.

THANKS AGAIN!

Here's a link to another post I made with a video and link to charts that show you how to check your skate sizing at home. It's not perfect but it will get you in the right ball park. 

To answer the question, I'd consider those "medium" arches. Regardless, if you're claiming your foot is "moving around", then I'd say the boot is too wide. Your foot shouldn't be moving, or sliding for that matter, around in the skate.

I'd say it looks like you have medium arches but a pretty wide forefoot and an average heel. I'm no expert but depending on the volume of your foot I don't think Nexus in a EE is the right size for you. Post some pics of your feet and the guys here who work at stores should be able to make a better assessment.

I will also say that if you're getting back to the game after 20 years, the bottoms of your feet will hurt even if the skates are sized properly. I came back after 10 years away and had a similar experience although I was using my same skates and my feet haven't changed. Your body and feet need to adjust a bit. 

how long have you worn the skates for ?

It may take a while before they break in.

The only pair of skates that didn't hurt my feet are Graf skates (feels like slippers..........:smile:) in comparison

also, try wearing the skates inside the house may help

12 hours ago, DRR said:

I'd say it looks like you have medium arches but a pretty wide forefoot and an average heel. I'm no expert but depending on the volume of your foot I don't think Nexus in a EE is the right size for you. Post some pics of your feet and the guys here who work at stores should be able to make a better assessment.

Wow thanks....here's some feet pics! I'm skate size 7.5-8.

https://goo.gl/photos/9NZZ3NQwdw9i3WsP9

There's a drawing of the outline of my foot too...length is ~10.25" x 4.25". That puts my height/width ratio at less than 2.5...which I thought typically puts me at EE.

Does any of this info help anyone determine which skates might be the best fit?

Thanks again!!!

27 minutes ago, jlird808 said:

There's a drawing of the outline of my foot too...length is ~10.25" x 4.25". That puts my height/width ratio at less than 2.5...which I thought typically puts me at EE.

Thanks again!!!

According to the charts on that web site it puts your foot is between a size 7-7.5, but more towards the 7 than a 7.5. And yes you're a EE but a Nexus D I find is equivalent to EE in other skates. I wear Nexus Ds. But In Supremes I'm a EE. Are you able to try on something smaller like a Nexus size 7 Ds to see if they fit you better?

55 minutes ago, jlird808 said:

Thanks again!!!

your feet look similar to mine. Wide at the sides. Little arch and kind of high instep.

1 hour ago, fastmiele said:

your feet look similar to mine. Wide at the sides. Little arch and kind of high instep.

Ok...and Graf's the only ones that fit you right? Which model Grafs? TBH I havent really looked into them bcz I think they outta my budget (<$300). With that said, what was the SECOND BEST FIT lol?

Also, what inline skates should I be looking at?

1 hour ago, puckpilot said:

According to the charts on that web site it puts your foot is between a size 7-7.5, but more towards the 7 than a 7.5. And yes you're a EE but a Nexus D I find is equivalent to EE in other skates. I wear Nexus Ds. But In Supremes I'm a EE. Are you able to try on something smaller like a Nexus size 7 Ds to see if they fit you better?

I've thought about trying size 7. My local ice rink rents out Reidells and the 7's were clearly too small. I also thought about going Nexus D, but Supreme EE's were not too wide, even a little tight around the arches. I'll try them back on though, and strongly consider Nexus D's as I give my Nexus EE's a few more tries. Also, what inline skates do you recommend for our kinda feet?

Thanks everyone! One thing that makes all of this even more difficult is that there is no shipping discounts to us all the way out here in HI. If I don't like the skates, I still have to pay for the shipping both ways....$50 x 2!!!

the Grafs I had best success are Graf 705 Wide. I have two pairs. They are heavier than other skates but its okay, because my feet hurt the least with them. My first pair of skates are Bauer Supreme's, nice quality a.nd well made, but they hurt like hell. Even after 20 years of use they still hurt my feet ( I use these skates for outdoor public ice hockey, the blades get chipped up bad from the rough ice).

Try looking on ebay and get a used pair cheap.

3 hours ago, jlird808 said:

Also, what inline skates do you recommend for our kinda feet?

I wish I could help you on this part of things, but I haven't touched inlines in like 15 years, so I don't know much of anything about them. 

10 hours ago, jlird808 said:

I've thought about trying size 7. My local ice rink rents out Reidells and the 7's were clearly too small.

Any Reidels I have rented, I had to rent larger size than my shoe. My shoe is 11-11.5, I had to rent Reidels in 13. My feet are a bit "weird" though as with hockey skates I wear 10 (bauer) 10.5(graf).

On 2017-07-03 at 1:15 AM, jlird808 said:

Sorry about the bad link! Here we go again...I hope this works. For some reason, the "Insert image from URL" function isn't working....maybe cuz of Google Photos?

Anyways, thanks for the replies!

It sucks bcz there are no real pro shops around me. We live in Hawaii actually (there is an ice and inline rink here!) but both of their pro shops kinda suck, usually being worked by someone who only figure skates anyways. I might be able to hunt someone down who knows his stuff though, and have him check out my Nexus EE's fit.

Regarding where it hurts,  sometimes it feels like ALL OVER the BOTTOMS of my feet..it moves around I guess lol. I'm coming back to hockey after 20yrs off, so I anticipate some pains & strains as I readjust. However, sometimes I can't go 4-5 mins without sitting down. It's definitely my biggest pain right now and it's interfering with getting back into things.

THANKS AGAIN!

Hey bud... I'm actually going to Maui in 3 weeks... I can bring over some SuperFeet carbons and CCM Mediums I have and don't use and can mail them if that helps - as long as you're a 7.5 ish in skates.. 

On 7/4/2017 at 6:26 AM, RickDC said:

Hey bud... I'm actually going to Maui in 3 weeks... I can bring over some SuperFeet carbons and CCM Mediums I have and don't use and can mail them if that helps - as long as you're a 7.5 ish in skates.. 

Whaaat? Yeah that would be great!! Whatever's most convenient for you. I can paypal u some money with my address, or however you think works best. And yes, I'm around a 7.5 skate.

I live on Oahu, which you might be flying into before Maui. Maui's awesome....great beaches, hiking, surfing, snorkeling, etc. I was just there visiting a friend from Alberta actually, he has to come to Oahu to play hockey tho lol. We can give you some inside scoops on best things to do while there too 

For what it's worth those look like medium arches to me. 

I've use superfeet yellow hockey for years with good results but it's never been perfect.  I'm going to be using Bauer Speedplates in my new CCM 50k skates (molding the system insoles Monday). I'm hoping they will out perform the Superfeet. 

In my regular shoes in just started wearing Superfeet Blue and they're wonderful. 

On 7/8/2017 at 0:37 PM, Jgscenter said:

For what it's worth those look like medium arches to me. 

I've use superfeet yellow hockey for years with good results but it's never been perfect.  I'm going to be using Bauer Speedplates in my new CCM 50k skates (molding the system insoles Monday). I'm hoping they will out perform the Superfeet. 

In my regular shoes in just started wearing Superfeet Blue and they're wonderful. 

Not sure you're going to be very happy with the speedplates coming from the Superfeet. The speed plates have no forward pitch and they don't support your foot the way super feet do (even though they're only supporting the heel). Custom insoles are the way to go if you have a decent arch and a higher instep because they fully support the arch. When you don't have full arch support, your foot flattens and that's what ends up causing all the pain because the rest of your foot has to adjust in a way it's not supposed to.

I have a similar type foot. I went with Supreme EE's, CCM medium foot beds, and then had a couple of places punched that were still hot in fore foot. It also will take some time to break them in depending on how often you skate. Bake twice if needed.