Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diablo34

Blocking shots and chirping

A vast majority of guys who are diving to block shots are way more likely to lose control and take out someone else's legs, than hurt just themselves. Stay on your feet. 

On 23/09/2017 at 8:28 PM, start_today said:

A vast majority of guys who are diving to block shots are way more likely to lose control and take out someone else's legs, than hurt just themselves. Stay on your feet. 

That about sums up our league... Guys diving blocking shots feet first with skates directing right at people's ankles. Ridiculously frustrating to the point that 1-on-1 with certain players you have to watch out for them to slide tackle you and take you out.

On 7/11/2017 at 6:21 PM, Diablo34 said:

Hello again everyone I have another question that (hopefully) I won't get roasted for asking this time hahaha. Thank you to everyone who has given me helpful feedback and grown my knowledge on how not to be known as a  douche bag by being an over agredsive "meat head" 

I was wondering what everyone things of chirping at the low lever "beer league" level. I know it's a pretty big thing in the NHL but like I've been told A LOT that I shouldn't be basing my game on what I see on TV. So I a little chirping acceptable? As long as it doesn't go to far? And second in your experiences do most people in these low levels attempt to lay out and block shots with their body?  I'm just very competitive and although it is just beer league I don't have a problem laying out if it helps my team. Or would this behavior get me marked as someone who tries to hard? And yes I had one of the coaches at the rink teach me the proper technique on how to lay out.

Beer League:

Chirping?  Only my friends.

Blocking Shots?  WHAT???

:)

Chirping at the other team when you don't have the skill to back it up makes you a joke and chirping at the other team when you are the best player makes you a tool. Chirping at yourself is always acceptable. Chirping at your teammates is ok sometimes when you have the social skills to read when it would be appropriate. 

You wear big steel blades on your feet, big plastic pads on your shins and carry a fancy space age stick to block shots with. Until you know how to use all three of those things at a highly proficient level the idea of laying out should never cross your mind. In large part because it's a good way to hurt yourself. And as a goalie, when you slide backwards into me doing that it is the one time we would ever have serious words on the ice. 

As far as not being seen as an over-aggressive "meat head" . . . maybe don't say things like you need to get used to the physicality of the game because you used to play DI red-rover football. I played college lacrosse, not that anybody cares about that either. It's a physical game and I was allowed to run over anyone within three feet of a loose ball and repeatedly whack people anywhere between the neck and the nuts with an aluminum pole if they had the ball. By reading the USA hockey rules I was able to realize those would be called "interference" "illegal body contact" and "slashing" and that they were considered naughty. As a mid I also had to sprint up and down a huge field all game without getting a break every ten seconds, so I had to adjust down to taking those short shifts when I started playing hockey. :230_hatched_chick: chirp chirp :biggrin:

Hockey is a game of speed, skill, hockey sense, and teamwork with physicality coming in a distant fifth even in the checking game. Don't want to seem like a meat head . . . don't play like a meat head. It's that easy. 

Master your skating so you aren't a danger to others when you go hard into the corners. Play a lot to get a feel for who you can go hard against and who you need to slack off against. In the meantime play like you are trying to win the BHL Lady Byng and the rest of us have to go to work in the morning. 

On 9/29/2017 at 5:23 PM, Dman692420 said:

If the guy is continually diving taking people out, next time when he goes down blast him with a slap shot to the ribs. It's a lil douchey but it get the point across.

Be ready for the repercussions if you're able to pull that off ha...

On 12/2/2017 at 12:26 AM, Flop_N_Pray said:

Chirping at the other team when you don't have the skill to back it up makes you a joke and chirping at the other team when you are the best player makes you a tool. Chirping at yourself is always acceptable. Chirping at your teammates is ok sometimes when you have the social skills to read when it would be appropriate. 

You wear big steel blades on your feet, big plastic pads on your shins and carry a fancy space age stick to block shots with. Until you know how to use all three of those things at a highly proficient level the idea of laying out should never cross your mind. In large part because it's a good way to hurt yourself. And as a goalie, when you slide backwards into me doing that it is the one time we would ever have serious words on the ice. 

As far as not being seen as an over-aggressive "meat head" . . . maybe don't say things like you need to get used to the physicality of the game because you used to play DI red-rover football. I played college lacrosse, not that anybody cares about that either. It's a physical game and I was allowed to run over anyone within three feet of a loose ball and repeatedly whack people anywhere between the neck and the nuts with an aluminum pole if they had the ball. By reading the USA hockey rules I was able to realize those would be called "interference" "illegal body contact" and "slashing" and that they were considered naughty. As a mid I also had to sprint up and down a huge field all game without getting a break every ten seconds, so I had to adjust down to taking those short shifts when I started playing hockey. :230_hatched_chick: chirp chirp :biggrin:

Hockey is a game of speed, skill, hockey sense, and teamwork with physicality coming in a distant fifth even in the checking game. Don't want to seem like a meat head . . . don't play like a meat head. It's that easy. 

Master your skating so you aren't a danger to others when you go hard into the corners. Play a lot to get a feel for who you can go hard against and who you need to slack off against. In the meantime play like you are trying to win the BHL Lady Byng and the rest of us have to go to work in the morning. 

My man. Kudos to you. It is amazing how much better of a player you are when you know the rules (even at a basic/elementary level). The quickest way to end a 'conversation' with a referee (outside of cursing him/her out ha) is to NOT know the rules. You lose all credibility when you look for a double minor for high-sticking ha...

On 7/12/2017 at 10:09 AM, IPv6Freely said:

I just can’t figure out why these questions are being asked in the first place. You wouldn’t be asking them if the idea of doing them hadn’t already gone through your mind. 

All my years of playing. I never heard chirping/ shit talking from an apposing team . If it was happening I couldn't hear it ,my mind was on the situation or potential situations. Hockey is closer to chess than it is to football.     

The slide taking the shot . As a center ; I would draw you to do that and use you as a screen  ,and try to get the goal tender to give me more net by faking a pass because he can't see the puck because you are in the line of sight. All he has is my body language.  

I think it should only be done if you're goaltender is compromised for one reason or the other  . Then you are trying to prevent him or her from injury,such as getting hit in the back, back of the head ,neck etc.   and stopping a goal.    It's a rare occasion move .  

concentrate on keeping the biscuit at the other end . 

On 7/14/2017 at 7:26 PM, Jamarquan said:

I don't get it.

Here's something I think has been glossed over: It's rookie beer league. Some guys won't be able to lift the puck and are probably just lightly tossing muffins at the net (I've been playing for 5 years and it's still a work in progress for lift, consistency, and power) and you have to be able to skate into a position where you can block shots, as well as a technique where you won't get hurt, and then recovering into a normal skating position. It's not going to be worth it until you get better at skating and more comfortable on the ice.

As for chirping? Again - rookie beer league. Unless someone else is actually going full Kesler (little slashes, hooks, etc.) or is being confrontational, then it's not worth it (even in that scenario, probably better off just ignoring it.). And I don't think anyone in rookie league should be chirping ability - you're all learning something new and are going to suck for a while. I still suck after 5 years. 

But I'm too young for beer (league) so what do I know.

The foil : the movie from the 70's slap shot.