Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Spaticle

New To Hockey: Foot Pain From New Skates

Hello,

I recently got  new pair of ccm skates. i had been sized for my skates, baked and sharpened. i went on the ice with them for the first time and the inside of my foot by my heel and outside of my foot were in awful pain. i am new to hockey so i did some research and bough some hockey skate inserts for them to see if that helps. my question: since i am new to ice skating in general and have a new pair of skates is this one of those things where i need to build up my foot muscles/ break in the skates or could there be other things causing the issue?

Depends what the pain is caused from. Is it muscular pain or a pressure / friction pain? When you take your socks off, is the area where it hurts red and tender to the touch? Where exactly on the outside of the foot? Just behind the little toe or about an inch back from there?

20 minutes ago, Spaticle said:

nothing is really red its an inch back form the pinky toe feels muscular like trying to grab a ball with your feet.

Adults getting in hockey skates do suffer from muscle pain and cramping. This is because your feet, instinctively, trying to grab the floor because of instability when you almost loose balance. Or the toes (instinctively) curl to take up the negative space in the boots. One way or another, your body does something to compensate for the lack of stability and balance. It is kind of like trying to walk on a thin curb. Trick is to force yourself to relaxes the toes and keep them straight. The inserts can help as they will take up some of the negative space, but until you become more secure on the skates, there might be a pain in various spots based upon what "you" trying to do.

Look up some skates fitting videos on youtube or here, check your fit. If it is fine, just give it some time.

Edited by Kgbeast
  • Like 2

• Go back to the shop you bought them from or the Pro Shop at the rink. They have tools to push out and out stretch the areas that hurt your feet. Do not tough it out.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

Adults getting in hockey skates do suffer from muscle pain and cramping. This is because your feet, instinctively, trying to grab the floor because of instability when you almost loose balance. Or the toes (instinctively) curl to take up the negative space in the boots. One way or another, your body does something to compensate for the lack of stability and balance. It is kind of like trying to walk on a thin curb. Trick is to force yourself to relaxes the toes and keep them straight. The inserts can help as they will take up some of the negative space, but until you become more secure on the skates, there might be a pain in various spots based upon what "you" trying to do.

Look up some skates fitting videos on youtube or here, check your fit. If it is fine, just give it some time.

i do curl my toes to help with "balance" haha

1 hour ago, SirJW said:
  • Go back to the shop you bought them from or the Pro Shop at the rink. They have tools to push out and out stretch the areas that hurt your feet. Do not tough it out.

i read about some of this, don't they just re bake them or is there another process they do?

5 minutes ago, Spaticle said:

i read about some of this, don't they just re bake them or is there another process they do?

No there are other things they can do depending on the issue. Say if you have a pressure point that is hurting one spot they will address that spot only.

Skate pain is a very common issue for many, no need feel embarrassed to ask a shop to help.

There are many things that can help you, adjusting the way you tie your skates to footbeds to gel pads. Even Sid the Kid uses bunga pads.

bd9r9bP4EM14wQjRoPew8mZTgTx7m1OBm6xKVqrC

Here is one of numerous threads about the topic.

Edited by SirJW
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Spaticle said:

nothing is really red its an inch back form the pinky toe feels muscular like trying to grab a ball with your feet.

Does the pain feel as if it is on top, on the side or under the foot?

Try just snugging up the bottom laces and only really tightening down the top 3 eyelets. It can take the pressure off the top of the foot which could be why you are getting the pain on the side and bottom by your heel. The top 3 eyelets are what is keeping your heel locked down anyways. 

Edited by Nickmast
Typo

On 7/24/2017 at 7:04 PM, Spaticle said:

Hello,

I recently got  new pair of ccm skates. i had been sized for my skates, baked and sharpened. i went on the ice with them for the first time and the inside of my foot by my heel and outside of my foot were in awful pain. i am new to hockey so i did some research and bough some hockey skate inserts for them to see if that helps. my question: since i am new to ice skating in general and have a new pair of skates is this one of those things where i need to build up my foot muscles/ break in the skates or could there be other things causing the issue?

Don't want to assume anything since you are new to skating. Do you tighten the laces very tight starting at the toe and back? Tightening the skate this way pushes the foot back.

Anyway, what's your street shoe size and what's your skate shoe size?

Do you have wide, narrow or regular feet?