Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WaukeshaTG

Lace bite

14 hours ago, vinprun71 said:

You may want to consider visiting a doctor to have it professionally looked at. If the doctor feels it's in your best interest, he/she may recommend a cortisone shot for your lace bite. I had this done myself, and it helped considerably. It grows the first day to look a little crazy, but after a day or two, it's quite flat looking. It assists with the inflammation big time.

Not knocking docs but I'm really leery over those who give you a shot then say you are fine to go and continue on. Yes, it reduces the inflammation but the underlying damage remains. If you aren't getting paid to play, you have to stay off skates till it heals or prevent further damage. A shot does help it heal but the danger is the pain feels less and you think you can skate again......

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

I'll switch to imgur but in the meantime, if you open the image up in a new tab does it load? It does for me.

Not for me. Still see the same "speedometer" pic.

On 7/25/2017 at 7:38 PM, puckpilot said:

I agree with what has been said above. You could look into alternative lacing methods.Eg. Bar lacing can create more volume in the skate.

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

It can be a little bit tricky to tie, but since you don't use the top two eyelets, it'll be a little simpler. 

Grabner does the straight-bar, but crossing under the laces rather than along the eyelet rows.

I had a little skate on saturday, running our summer minimite/mite open practice.  Wore the Bunga pads, no pain at all.  Not the most intense action, but at least it was positive.  Game tomorrow night, so we'll see how that goes.  Ice and advil throughout the week to try and reduce swelling!  

Two games in now. . . seems to be working out.  I'm continuing to ice.  I don't necessarily notice that the lumps on my ankles are going away, however the Bunga pads pain is significantly reduced.  At the end of game one I had a little bit of noticeable pain in one foot, but nothing that stopped me from playing.  No issues during game two at all.  

6 minutes ago, WaukeshaTG said:

Two games in now. . . seems to be working out.  I'm continuing to ice.  I don't necessarily notice that the lumps on my ankles are going away, however the Bunga pads pain is significantly reduced.  At the end of game one I had a little bit of noticeable pain in one foot, but nothing that stopped me from playing.  No issues during game two at all.  

I am not a doctor or anything, but lumps not going away probably not the outcome you would hope for. Besides bunga-;pads, you are also on ibuprofen if I am not mistaken. You might be aggravating the problem without being aware of it.  You should research this a bit more, I think these can become permanent scar tissue things.

I battled it a few months ago after about a year in the skates.  I tried all be pads and contraptions out there.  At the end of the day the simple fix as just getting new wider laces.  The original laces has become stiff and lost elasticity and we're actually rolled up so they didn't sit flat against the tongue if that makes sense.  So that caused more direct pressure.   Wider laces, making sure they sit flat and spread out the pressure did the trick for me.  Ymmv

On 8/9/2017 at 10:27 PM, Dizzyg12 said:

I battled it a few months ago after about a year in the skates.  I tried all be pads and contraptions out there.  At the end of the day the simple fix as just getting new wider laces.  The original laces has become stiff and lost elasticity and we're actually rolled up so they didn't sit flat against the tongue if that makes sense.  So that caused more direct pressure.   Wider laces, making sure they sit flat and spread out the pressure did the trick for me.  Ymmv

This could help some people, but it won't help everyone. If the boot isn't deep enough, wider laces won't fix the problem. I personally tried this before getting out of Vapor and into Supreme. Problem was relieved immediately. In the end, it all depends how bad the fit is.

I am going to give this way of lacing my skates a try next skate. I've had a tough time getting the right tightness to maximize mobility without sacrificing firm ankle support, and it's been hit or miss by just lacing and tightening my skates the old fashioned way.

I tried this method the other day just hanging around the house, lacing them inward as opposed to outward and with a single loop at the end, and it felt pretty good. It's a promising approach, but I will see how they react to actual play. 

VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to lace your skates to avoid lace bite.

1 hour ago, FlyingDutchman said:

I am going to give this way of lacing my skates a try next skate. I've had a tough time getting the right tightness to maximize mobility without sacrificing firm ankle support, and it's been hit or miss by just lacing and tightening my skates the old fashioned way.

I tried this method the other day just hanging around the house, lacing them inward as opposed to outward and with a single loop at the end, and it felt pretty good. It's a promising approach, but I will see how they react to actual play. 

VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to lace your skates to avoid lace bite.

I tie my skates using a tweaked version of that method. For me it maximized my my mobility and I didn't sacrifice any support or heel lock. Plus, it's really easy to adjust tightness. It's simple enough that I can do it between shifts. 

Oh6iaKS.jpg

T2rHvOP.jpg

lLKqQwB.jpg

yxjXXsA.jpg

23 hours ago, puckpilot said:

I tie my skates using a tweaked version of that method. For me it maximized my my mobility and I didn't sacrifice any support or heel lock. Plus, it's really easy to adjust tightness. It's simple enough that I can do it between shifts. 

Oh6iaKS.jpg

T2rHvOP.jpg

lLKqQwB.jpg

yxjXXsA.jpg

Interesting. My Reeboks have the lacelock, but I could give this a go above the lacelock if this other method doesn't work for me. Thanks for sharing. 

I've said this a bunch of times, but here's what to do if you have lacebite:

1. Forsberg cushioning method

2. Outside to In lacing (allows you to control the tension on each pair independent from other eyelets)

3. Don't allow your laces to roll at all. Keep them flat. Increases the surface area of the tension, puts less tension on the "hot spot"

Here is my update from what my Doctor said:

Pretty much SOL, to be honest.  The swelling that I have is fluid building up on the outside of the tendon, but inside of the 'coating' of the tendon.  He said it will go down, most likely over a long period of time (he mentioned months), but that as soon as I would start skating again it would come back.  The swelling can occur with no pain, or come with pain.  As long as there isn't any pain (due pads, different lacing, whatever), I'm OK to go.  If there is pain, I'm OK to go as long as I can take it.  No permanent harm being done.  

Until it turns into chronic inflammation and even just looking at skates causes it to ache. You need to remember this is micro trauma that is occuring, it's not like a pulled muscle where things let go all at once and the feedback is immediate. It builds up over time (the continued swelling is an indication that it is not going away) until you reach a tipping point. I have seen / talked to a lot of skaters who had basically the same report from their doc and they all ended up in the same situation - either off skates until it totally went away AND or a change of boot / tongue / pad whatever to keep the pressure OFF the tendon. This is an injury caused by pressure, continuing to repeat the same thing over and over and thinking you are going to get a different result is an exercise in futility. When I went thru this, the instant I started using a forsberg pad, no more pain. If you are still getting any kind of pain with the bunga pads and are having to ice just to stay in skates, what does that tell you? Whatever you use, pain free is where you have to get to, not "if you can take it". ffs.

8 hours ago, WaukeshaTG said:

Here is my update from what my Doctor said:

Pretty much SOL, to be honest.  The swelling that I have is fluid building up on the outside of the tendon, but inside of the 'coating' of the tendon.  He said it will go down, most likely over a long period of time (he mentioned months), but that as soon as I would start skating again it would come back.  The swelling can occur with no pain, or come with pain.  As long as there isn't any pain (due pads, different lacing, whatever), I'm OK to go.  If there is pain, I'm OK to go as long as I can take it.  No permanent harm being done.  

... does this mean that you will continue to skate with the liquid building up inside your leg? It might begin to look like a football.  The bigger the swelling the longer it will take to go away. What are you doing now to stop the contact with the area?

9 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Good to use before you have lace bite (they may prevent it) and possibly good to use after it has healed to stop it reoccuring. But if you have lace bite already as the op has then generally this does not work because even reduced pressure is still pressure on the tendon. However if they thickened these by about 5 mm and cut a channel vertically in the middle of them, now we are starting to get there.

I plan on making myself a Forsberg pad tonight and was wondering if adding a piece of plastic to the side facing away from my leg is a good idea or a bad one? 

My moneys on the tongue wore out since this is the first time I have had any problems in the two years I've owned my skates and they are creased pretty well where the top lace comes across. I did recently start tucking after getting some new shin pads that made flopping just feel wrong, but I cant think of any reason why that change would have made any difference.

2 hours ago, Labrat198 said:

I plan on making myself a Forsberg pad tonight and was wondering if adding a piece of plastic to the side facing away from my leg is a good idea or a bad one? 

My moneys on the tongue wore out since this is the first time I have had any problems in the two years I've owned my skates and they are creased pretty well where the top lace comes across. I did recently start tucking after getting some new shin pads that made flopping just feel wrong, but I cant think of any reason why that change would have made any difference.

I'm completely speculating, but I think tucking could have made a difference.  The shin pad might have been acting a little like a Forsberg pad. It may have been pushing out against the tongue, creating room/easing pressure on your tendons.

Have you try going back to flopping?

I had gone back and forth for a few games before and after feeling the lace bite coming on. 

The new shins (super tacks) are thicker and may have folded the tongue over causing them to crease. I could feel where the laces come across the top of the boot when I had them flopped.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:31 PM, Labrat198 said:

I had gone back and forth for a few games before and after feeling the lace bite coming on. 

The new shins (super tacks) are thicker and may have folded the tongue over causing them to crease. I could feel where the laces come across the top of the boot when I had them flopped.

Had a similar issue, even in skates that were otherwise comfortable (which I had never experienced prior to wearing the Mako). Tucking my tongues eliminated the issue completely. Just meant I needed some longer shin pads, which was a small price to pay for being completely pain free. 

I suspect many people have skates that are too shallow for their feet. Mine are near perfect though I’ve had light lace bite a few times. I now wear Silopos pads, and I’ve swapped to upside down straight European lacing as per Ian’s shoelace website.