Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ranger-#8

Skate Advice

I've been in Bauer Supremes since the 8090 and haven't had any complaints.  Though the past year I've skated in a pair of Supreme 190 skates size 7.5EE and they have just never settled in right.  My heel and ankle feel like they are never secure but the forefoot/ball of my foot fit perfect.  I've baked them 3 times at this point and think its just they are not the right fit.  

Think this week I'll buy into the current generation of skate and see if I can find the perfect fit.  Any advice on a skate with similar forefoot width but a narrow heel would be appreciated; I guess also recommend needed adjustments for pitch and radius to make them feel along the lines of a supreme the somewhat neutral pitch and 9' radius is what I assume I am after.

Thanks in advance for your guys' input!

I had the same problem. I think Bauer skate sizing has gone bigger. Try go half size smaller or make a shift from ee to D.

Or you can try Jetspeed in size 7D. IMO, Jetspeed provieds the best heel lock.

Or.. Why not try on the new ribcor's.. They're supposed to have a very flexible fit, and fit both narrow and wide feet..

Vapor would be narrower in the heel than Supreme. One thing to consider is you'd be losing volume with that move. If you're good with the medium volume you're getting in Supreme, you're going to have a challenge with the low volume of the Vapor. The Jetspeed could be a good alternative. 

Yeah I def would struggled going to a skate with less volume than my supreme EE...Sounds like the Jetspeed is def worth a shot from your guys input; Also any word on True/VH's new skate?

If you're willing to spend the money, then you can definitely get True/VH to build you a skate that will fit well as they're based on tracings, measurements and scans of your feet.

2 minutes ago, Ranger-#8 said:

Yeah I def would struggled going to a skate with less volume than my supreme EE...Sounds like the Jetspeed is def worth a shot from your guys input; Also any word on True/VH's new skate?

The new True skates are not too different from the last gen VH skates. Other than some cosmetic changes it's the same great boot. If you are dropping top end money anyway it would be silly to not at least check into them .

4 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

The new True skates are not too different from the last gen VH skates. Other than some cosmetic changes it's the same great boot. If you are dropping top end money anyway it would be silly to not at least check into them .

The Hockey Monkey shop near me on True's site is listed as a coming soon fitting center shot them an email on times; probably hold off to at least check them out...Though the JetSpeed 90 day trial seems pretty great can really try them out and see if they are the right option.

21 hours ago, Ranger-#8 said:

That would be the absolute best thing you could do, but the price is steep. Depends if you want to shell out the money for custom boots.

4 hours ago, vinprun71 said:

That would be the absolute best thing you could do, but the price is steep. Depends if you want to shell out the money for custom boots.

Is the price for a True custom that much more than a FT1 $900 range?

7 minutes ago, Ranger-#8 said:

No, it's around the same $900 depending on the options you choose. If you're willing to pay for a top end skate at full pop then the True skate is a great way to go. It's competitive price wise with all the top end skates. For most people (unless they have a discount through a team or association), it'd be more expensive to get a custom top end skate from Bauer or CCM than through True. 

Some people, like me, just like to try to get a top end retail skate that fits well that's discontinued and on clearance that is steeply discounted. If I was going to pay full price then I'd likely go the True route myself. I just stockpiled a bunch of clearance Mako 2 skates since they fit me well. If you're already willing to consider spending the money to buy an FT1 or similar skate at full price then True is definitely competitive in that price range. 

9 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

No, it's around the same $900 depending on the options you choose. If you're willing to pay for a top end skate at full pop then the True skate is a great way to go. It's competitive price wise with all the top end skates. For most people (unless they have a discount through a team or association), it'd be more expensive to get a custom top end skate from Bauer or CCM than through True. 

Some people, like me, just like to try to get a top end retail skate that fits well that's discontinued and on clearance that is steeply discounted. If I was going to pay full price then I'd likely go the True route myself. I just stockpiled a bunch of clearance Mako 2 skates since they fit me well. If you're already willing to consider spending the money to buy an FT1 or similar skate at full price then True is definitely competitive in that price range. 

Def a fan of a deal but getting to the point where frustration of skates detracting from the fun of playing. Just want to bite the bullet and get the right pair. 

2 hours ago, Ranger-#8 said:

Def a fan of a deal but getting to the point where frustration of skates detracting from the fun of playing. Just want to bite the bullet and get the right pair. 

This was exactly how i ended up in VH.  It's a liberating feeling to play and not be thinking about your feet. 

3 hours ago, Ranger-#8 said:

3 hours ago, althoma1 said:

This. Not everyone wants to spend $900 on skates. If you do, might as well go the TRUE route. If you're more inclined to spend $400-500, then you'll be considering Bauer or CCM primarily.

I would definitely look into True/VH skates. I went through the same issues with my NXGs.

They were tolerable but the feel was never right.

The VH skates I bought took out the guessing games I had with my NXGs and I am way more comfortable on the ice regardless of how tight my skates are, what type of insole I'm using, etc. 

The VH skates are definitely worth looking at and pondering if you are dropping top end cash and if you're really undecided about pulling the trigger check out the VH thread on this site. That helped push me over the top. 

I went from mx3 to VH. VH is cheaper unless you get custom color or shot blocking option or extra tongue. I ordered mine with lightspeed edge with no steel (already had ls4  & now step) with no extra options & were $854 here in USA in Jan . I will never go back to Bauer or any other brand as they are the most comfortable skates I've ever worn. If you have the $ spend the $ you won't regret it!

I agree with with the VH/True sediment. I always come late to market and pay for flagship skates at a deep discount. True skates seem like the only way to go if you are going to pay $900.00 USD for skates. 

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

If he is wearing them, shouldn't we all haha?

Gretzky finally finds a helmet less protective than the Jofa 235.

2 hours ago, DRR said:

I bet VT scored it pretty high though!

On 8/7/2017 at 8:20 AM, DRR said:

One thing for sure though... this one will never crack.