Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlyingDutchman

Are you disappointed that the Reebok Pump will not be available anymore?

It appears that the Reebok pump will no longer be in production. Granted, the last incarnation of this innovation seemed to be executed pretty poorly, with lots of complaints of bladders going bad. 

But I've used the pump since it came out in the 90's and the skates I've had with them have never failed me, and it was beneficial to adjust my boot on the fly during a game. 

I am a bit frustrated with this development, as my Reebok 7k's still have some life left on them (they've been shelved for the last 5 years) and I almost feel like I should buy one last set of Reebok 50K's in order to get another boot with the pump system. 

Anyone else feel this way? 

Howdy,

I had a set of Ribcor 46k (48k?  I can't remember) with the pump.  I liked it ok, but didn't miss it when I went to Makos .

Now the lace locks on the other hand.... :-)  I missed those enough to add them to the Makos.

Mark

56 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I had a set of Ribcor 46k (48k?  I can't remember) with the pump.  I liked it ok, but didn't miss it when I went to Makos .

Now the lace locks on the other hand.... :-)  I missed those enough to add them to the Makos.

Mark

Yes, I like the lace locks, too. That was another great innovat in in skate engineering. 

2 things that i missed from reebok, its fit and lace lock. The only boot that fit me nicely without arch pain. 

Pump in other hand, not so much. The bladder broke within a year... what a waste. 

I liked the pump because it was able to compensate for the tiny difference in size between my left and right foot. The skates weren’t for me though, as much as I loved the looks (old 8K were some fantastic looking skates!)

I absolutely love my 20K's - the lacelock, the pump, the fit, the performance, the durability.  They have started to soften up some, so I will be in the market shortly.  Does anyone know if the 50K's fit and perform the same?  I could potentially go down "maybe" 1/2 size in my 20K's, but I potentially attribute that to their age and level of broken-in-ness.  The pump makes up for any emtpy space.  I am starting to consider their replacements, and the short list has the Super Tacks, Jetspeeds FT1, and VH on the list so far.

I think the sizing changed slightly from Reebok Ribcor to CCM Ribcor designs but not certain. At any rate, I went from a 10 in 20K to 9.5 in 50K but I think the 20K were too big(long) to begin with.

50K is supposed to have less volume(hard for me to say since my 20K were at least a half size too large) and the boot is definitely more narrow(I had to punch a spot in the right forefoot of my 50K whereas never had an issue with 20K). I always used the pump in my 20K and I never pump my 50K; just seems to fit my foot better in the heel ankle area so there's no need for the pump.

I still classify myself is a beginner but I skate much better in 50K than I ever did in the 20K so I'd say that performance is at least comparable but, again, it's difficult to say when going from an over-sized to appropriately sized boot. Also, my 20K steel was rounded off to banana blades. Going to steel with an appreciable heel/toe took a couple of skates to adjust.

As others have said, I will miss the lace locks more than the pump. I do like how the pump works, but I have done without it for 20+ years before my current pair of 44K's.
Before my current pair, I would have to re-tighten my skates all the time even with waxed laces, but now I dont and i have gotten spoiled by the lace lock. 

11 hours ago, freeflyer14 said:

I absolutely love my 20K's - the lacelock, the pump, the fit, the performance, the durability.  They have started to soften up some, so I will be in the market shortly.  Does anyone know if the 50K's fit and perform the same?  I could potentially go down "maybe" 1/2 size in my 20K's, but I potentially attribute that to their age and level of broken-in-ness.  The pump makes up for any emtpy space.  I am starting to consider their replacements, and the short list has the Super Tacks, Jetspeeds FT1, and VH on the list so far.

I think I read somewhere the Ribcore skates are narrower than the Reeboks used to be. 

6 hours ago, bondoao1 said:

As others have said, I will miss the lace locks more than the pump.

It's super easy to add lace locks to any skate. Just remove the screw from your old lace locks and use female helmet hardware and attach screw through the standard eyelet.

6 hours ago, bondoao1 said:

As others have said, I will miss the lace locks more than the pump. I do like how the pump works, but I have done without it for 20+ years before my current pair of 44K's.
Before my current pair, I would have to re-tighten my skates all the time even with waxed laces, but now I dont and i have gotten spoiled by the lace lock. 

The lace locks are available as an add on to any existing traditional metal eyelet. I suggest picking up some for future skates before they are all gone.  

20 hours ago, Monty22 said:

The lace locks are available as an add on to any existing traditional metal eyelet. I suggest picking up some for future skates before they are all gone.  

I have yet to see any of these. If you add it to an existing eyelet, wont that put the laces out of position?

Howdy,

14 hours ago, bondoao1 said:

I have yet to see any of these. If you add it to an existing eyelet, wont that put the laces out of position?

Yes, the lace locks added to a 'normal' eyelet put the locks out of position.  Its one of those "annoying, but you can live with it" things.  I like the skates built to have lace locks much better in this regard for sure!

Mark

(who added lace locks to his Mako M8s...)

5 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Yes, the lace locks added to a 'normal' eyelet put the locks out of position.  Its one of those "annoying, but you can live with it" things.  I like the skates built to have lace locks much better in this regard for sure!

Mark

(who added lace locks to his Mako M8s...)

My LHS doesn't have them listed on their site, do you know where I could get them for future use?

Howdy,

7 hours ago, bondoao1 said:

My LHS doesn't have them listed on their site, do you know where I could get them for future use?

Most places don't have them listed, but most shops seem to have them.  I bought extras from a "local" (about 1.5 hours away) Perani's and I think somewhere else too, but I don't remember where.

Mark

Lacelocks are on my very short list of great "tech" that got buried and lost because of branding and perception. I think if they were on Bauer skates people would love them. 

They had the misfortune of being launched on CCM and Reebok skates when those skates were (mostly rightly) considered not so great,  so I think most players never gave them an honest chance.