Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lookey2000

Asking for some help with skates.

Hello everyone! I need a little bit of help. I have a really wide foot. Last season, I used the CCM Super tacks line of skates, (specifically the CCM Tacks Vector, which are Tacks 4092 skates with upgrades from the Tacks 5092) and they were EE. They hurt like hell. Every game my feet would be throbbing and I couldn't feel my toes sometimes! This was even after baking them. I'm looking to get a new pair this year, either CCM or Bauer. Now that the CCM Tacks line is cut out, what do you guys think I should go with? Jetspeed, Ribcor, Vapor, Supreme, or Nexus? I'm also shoe size 11-11.5 if that helps. Thank you for the help!

1 hour ago, Lookey2000 said:

Hello everyone! I need a little bit of help. I have a really wide foot. Last season, I used the CCM Super tacks line of skates, (specifically the CCM Tacks Vector, which are Tacks 4092 skates with upgrades from the Tacks 5092) and they were EE. They hurt like hell. Every game my feet would be throbbing and I couldn't feel my toes sometimes! This was even after baking them. I'm looking to get a new pair this year, either CCM or Bauer. Now that the CCM Tacks line is cut out, what do you guys think I should go with? Jetspeed, Ribcor, Vapor, Supreme, or Nexus? I'm also shoe size 11-11.5 if that helps. Thank you for the help!

Try nexus in a in a 9.5 or 10ee, but I agree with @vinprun71 that if you can afford True skates (~$900 I believe) and wait a few weeks then that's the best way to go.

IMHO, the best thing you can do is find a store and try on every line they have in the store and see which one fits best. Every line is slightly different and every foot is different. What fits my wide EE foot and feels good may not feel good to another person with the same type of foot as me. There is no better substitute to putting on the actual skate.

For exameple, I got new skates this last Christmas, My old ones were Reebok 11ks, which at the time continued on as CCM 50ks. I thought I'd just go with the same basic model the 50ks, but I realised even though it's technically the same line, over the years things changed to the point that it was no longer a good fit for my foot. I ended up switching to Bauers. Supremes fit me best length and width wise, but the skate didn't have enough volume, and was giving me lace bite. So I moved to the Nexus line.

I never thought I'd be going back to Bauers, but I did and I don't regret it a bit. I found the best fit for me was and was able to fine tune the fit, and best of all, no pain.

I know visiting a store isn't always possible for some, so if that's the case, maybe give a little more info on your foot. Do you have narrow heel? Do you have a high instep?

Each skate line is designed with a specific type of foot in mind.

If you need a wide skate, I'd start with the Nexus line (if you're going retail). The have the widest skate available now at the retail level and the most volume out of all the Bauer lines. I've heard the new Ribcore is supposed to be very fitting, but it's still a narrower skate to start with than the Nexus or the Supreme. I'm not sure on what the volume is like though.

I echo a lot of the other sentiments here in saying that you should go to a Local Hockey Shop and try some on.  My personal suggestion would be to try the CCM ribcore skates.  They are super heat moldable and have a fair amount of volume, so they fit *most* people.  I'm not saying that everyone will fit in them, however a lot of people can get away with wearing them.  I have absolute duck feet and so far they have been the most comfortable skate that I've tried on outside of an old Easton Mako II.  The true skates are great but are wicked expensive.