Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LookingforAdvice

Need new inline skates. Would appreciate advice!

Hey everyone,

I need new inline skates after being away from the game for awhile. I'm looking to spend between $150-$300 (I'm in graduate school, so $300 is a pretty firm ceiling on what I can spend). I typically play outdoors on somewhat rough playground surfaces. The biggest factor for me is durability--given my financial/occupational situation, I really want to avoid purchasing a new pair of skates in the next year or two.

Some models I'm considering:

• Alkali RPD Shift+

• Bauer Vapor X500R

• Bauer Vapor X600R

• Mission Inhaler NLS:04

• Tour Fish Bonelite 725 LE

It's pretty difficult to find reviews for these models, so I would really appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!

First, you need to find out what fits your feet. I realize that not all shops carry inline products and you may have to go online, but you can use ice skates as a size guide for some models.

The Vapor ice skates will fit like Vapor inlines. The Supreme line of ice skates fit like the Mission Inhaler inline skates.

People do seem to like the Alkali skates. They are big threads here discussing them in great detail  - consult those for fit and sizing.

Going with a closeout model will usually be your best bang for your buck. For example, HockeyMonkey has the former top of the line Alkali RPD Max+ skates for $389 right now, but they also have a promo code for 25% off which would bring them under your $300 max budget. They used to be $650 skates

Verbero Vortex skates would be another high end option for under $300 if you can figure out your sizing. They fit kind of like a Bauer Nexus skate width wise, but with the depth of a Vapor. They only have limited sizes left though (looks like 11 and  above). 

Another option would be converting some ice hockey skates, but your budget is pretty tight at $300 unless you already have some of the components or can find them for dirt cheap. 

17 hours ago, althoma1 said:

First, you need to find out what fits your feet. I realize that not all shops carry inline products and you may have to go online, but you can use ice skates as a size guide for some models.

The Vapor ice skates will fit like Vapor inlines. The Supreme line of ice skates fit like the Mission Inhaler inline skates.

People do seem to like the Alkali skates. They are big threads here discussing them in great detail  - consult those for fit and sizing.

Going with a closeout model will usually be your best bang for your buck. For example, HockeyMonkey has the former top of the line Alkali RPD Max+ skates for $389 right now, but they also have a promo code for 25% off which would bring them under your $300 max budget. They used to be $650 skates

Verbero Vortex skates would be another high end option for under $300 if you can figure out your sizing. They fit kind of like a Bauer Nexus skate width wise, but with the depth of a Vapor. They only have limited sizes left though (looks like 11 and  above). 

Another option would be converting some ice hockey skates, but your budget is pretty tight at $300 unless you already have some of the components or can find them for dirt cheap.

Thank you for the reply!

Agreed regarding the importance of finding a skate that fits well. I will be doing that through trial and error. But one area where I definitely don't feel qualified to make assessments is the quality/durability of the skate. For instance, the Tour Fish Bonelite 725 LE seems like a nice skate, but many people on the forum have mention that they aren't particularly durable--something I would never have known/figured out without getting other people's opinions. So if you have thoughts about the quality of the listed skates, I'd love to hear them!

Regarding your other suggestions: The Alkali RPD Max+ look very nice, but unfortunately the 25% coupon doesn't apply to them (probably due to a manufacturer price floor). And the Verberos also look great, but I unfortunately need a skate sized somewhere between 8.5-10 (US shoe of 10.5), which are all sold out. And conversion would probably be outside my price range at the moment since I don't have any of the necessary components.

Out of the skates you mentioned, I think the Alkali RPD Shift + is by far the best bang for the buck. They use the same Purlyn quarter package as the top of the line Max + skates, but just use an aluminum instead of magnesium chassis. They come with Swiss bearings as well. If they fit your feet then that's the way I would go. They were originally a pretty good value already at $400 US and now at the clearance price of $249 they are an excellent buy if they fit your feet well and you can figure out the sizing.

One thing to keep in mind is they come with indoor wheels ( all the mid to high end skates do) so you'll want to either buy some outdoor wheels or ask the place you're purchasing from if they can trade the indoor wheels for some good outdoor ones.

Agree with Althoma.  The Shifts are second to top of the line skates, while everything else is entry level or lower mid-range.  Provided they fit, the Shift is a no-brainer from that list.  I recently picked up Teams on clearance and they're quite comfortable.  Initially I thought they were rather boxy and wide in the forefoot, but they're comfortable after a bake.  Alkali's sizing is a little strange.   If it helps, I typically wear a 9 in Bauers and I'm in a 10.5 in Alkali.

The X500s in particular will not be sufficient for you if you are a decent skater -- very soft boot.