Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Flare Skate Blade - Anyone seen this or used it? WIder than typical steel

18 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

What's the issue on the Prosharp?

I have a set of Flares that I haven't sharpened yet because I don't have a spinner shallow enough at the moment.

The clamp on the ProSharp doesn't correctly grab the Flare steel. Do you need a Blackstone spinner or a Sparx? I am sure I have a few extra laying around I can send you. 

4 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

The clamp on the ProSharp doesn't correctly grab the Flare steel. Do you need a Blackstone spinner or a Sparx? I am sure I have a few extra laying around I can send you. 

Thanks for the offer - I just haven't gotten around to calling Blackstone.  

Interesting re: the clamp.  Let us know how your jig works out.

Bringing this one back from the dead since I noticed mention of Flare in the Sparx thread.

Are there any more reviews or input on these?  I'm going to need a new ring for my Sparx in the next month or two and this concept seems interesting.  SO if it really is something worth trying, I'd like to do so to get the appropriate ring when needed.

Also, I see that pros are liking them and not having "blow outs".  Here's the thing.  I have compromised MCLs in both knees from injuries.  I've blown the right once and left twice.  I am at risk of continuing to injure them.  The biggest issue would be if I got hit at an awkward angle and go down with my knee under me and blade engaged in the ice.  Having the edge slip somewhat easily likely would reduce the injury risk and could possibly save my knee.  How much increased "lateral" grip are we talking here for someone that doesn't have the balance and edge strength of a NHL'er?  Is every play going to anchor my blade to the ice and not allow it to slip out for safety, even if I wanted it to?  Or are we really talking more about increased grip when skating because of centrifugal force?

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Bringing this one back from the dead since I noticed mention of Flare in the Sparx thread.

Are there any more reviews or input on these?  I'm going to need a new ring for my Sparx in the next month or two and this concept seems interesting.  SO if it really is something worth trying, I'd like to do so to get the appropriate ring when needed.

Also, I see that pros are liking them and not having "blow outs".  Here's the thing.  I have compromised MCLs in both knees from injuries.  I've blown the right once and left twice.  I am at risk of continuing to injure them.  The biggest issue would be if I got hit at an awkward angle and go down with my knee under me and blade engaged in the ice.  Having the edge slip somewhat easily likely would reduce the injury risk and could possibly save my knee.  How much increased "lateral" grip are we talking here for someone that doesn't have the balance and edge strength of a NHL'er?  Is every play going to anchor my blade to the ice and not allow it to slip out for safety, even if I wanted it to?  Or are we really talking more about increased grip when skating because of centrifugal force?

They are way easier on knees and hips. They only provide extra bite if you engage the edge completely. If you are just gliding, they provide 20% more glide and that is proven in an independent University study you can see on our website. 

My quesion is this- As steel is removed the flare gets thinner but maintains its angle, which makes sense, if the steel is removed evenly along the blade everything is the same.  But profiling by definition is going to remove more steel in some areas than others, so different parts of the blade will have differnent widths.  So if you start with an 11’ radius Flare blade, then profile it to some combo radius like a Quad 0 which goes from a 13 in back to a 6 at the toe, the toe would be thinner.  Or is the difference so miniscule as not to matter?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyler55 said:

They are way easier on knees and hips. They only provide extra bite if you engage the edge completely. If you are just gliding, they provide 20% more glide and that is proven in an independent University study you can see on our website. 

Part of the reason I’m interested is because of the reduced level of drag and also force/resistance needed to generate the same level of bite. That definitely will be easier on knees.  

I’m concerned about situations where a skate blade is at an extreme angle to the ice where a normal blade would slip out but this blade will grab. Picture a goalie doing a butterfly slide but then accidentally having an edge engage in the middle. He’s going to stop, and all his weight and momentum is going to go over that foot, likely causing a knee or ankle injury. This is how I hurt my first knee. I got hit from behind while engaged along the boards. My foot was against the other guy’s skate so it couldn’t slide out.  I ended up going over that foot and tore the MCL (and only MCL unlike an injury where the player goes back as well as over the foot, typically causing much more damage). In fact, have you tried any goalie testing with this?  It seems like increasing bite at that angle could lead to these kinds of injuries plus difficulty shuffling. 

42 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

My quesion is this- As steel is removed the flare gets thinner but maintains its angle, which makes sense, if the steel is removed evenly along the blade everything is the same.  But profiling by definition is going to remove more steel in some areas than others, so different parts of the blade will have differnent widths.  So if you start with an 11’ radius Flare blade, then profile it to some combo radius like a Quad 0 which goes from a 13 in back to a 6 at the toe, the toe would be thinner.  Or is the difference so miniscule as not to matter?

The difference is minuscule so it doesn't matter. What matters most if the main surface area stays consistent and not so much the toe and heel. I have some pics of profiles Flare and regular Flare, new just outside the box. I can post it later tonight. 

2 hours ago, Monty22 said:

I have a Blackstone X01 sharpener- what would be needed to be able to sharpen Flare steel? 

Just a shallow Spinner.

I have a set (thanks, @Tyler55!) but I'd need something pretty flat, which I don't currently have.

And the new Prosharp AS2001 can't clamp it at the moment.

25 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Just a shallow Spinner.

I have a set (thanks, @Tyler55!) but I'd need something pretty flat, which I don't currently have.

And the new Prosharp AS2001 can't clamp it at the moment.

Shallow ROH, or would any of the FBV spinners work? If I recall there was talk about Blackstone making Flare specific spinners but it was cost prohibitive? 

4 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

ROH.  Ty can answer the question re: FBV but as of now, no go.

Has anyone successfully used the Sparx on these? I'm wondering since the Fire ring is a rounded FBV if that would work and just go with the most shallow ring?

21 hours ago, darkhors said:

Has anyone successfully used the Sparx on these? I'm wondering since the Fire ring is a rounded FBV if that would work and just go with the most shallow ring?

ROH Sparx works. Fire ring (FBV) does not. 

Edited by Nicholas G

12 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Use, ROH Sparx works. Fire ring (FBV) does not. 

What about the edge checker from Sparx? Or should I get the BR100? I'm looking at picking up a Sparx over the break so I want to get an edge checker that I could possibly use if I try out the flare. I can't seem to find the Flare square anywhere online to purchase.

13 minutes ago, darkhors said:

What about the edge checker from Sparx? Or should I get the BR100? I'm looking at picking up a Sparx over the break so I want to get an edge checker that I could possibly use if I try out the flare. I can't seem to find the Flare square anywhere online to purchase.

Unfortunately, the Sparx edge checker won't work properly for checking edges on the Flare. Flare usually only provides the edge checker to dealers but you might want to email them and ask if you can purchase on directly, I am sure they will sell you one. 

28 minutes ago, darkhors said:

It's on their website under apparel and accessories.   

• Like 1

Does this tech make the edge feel sharper for longer after a sharpening?  Obviously the steel isn’t coated, so it won’t actually retain the edge any longer than other uncoated steel. But will the increased bite in typical turns and skating keep that sharp feeling longer like coated steel does? 

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

Has anyone found a way to put a ProSharp profile on these yet?  Thinking of pulling the trigger, but I really like my Quad 1. 

They can be done on the older machines with a special jig to hold it in place. @Nicholas G can on his - I’m sure he can help you.

Prosharp hasn’t made one for the 2018 model (the one that I have.)  I have a set that I can’t sharpen or profile. 

On 12/20/2018 at 4:14 PM, psulion22 said:

Does this tech make the edge feel sharper for longer after a sharpening?  Obviously the steel isn’t coated, so it won’t actually retain the edge any longer than other uncoated steel. But will the increased bite in typical turns and skating keep that sharp feeling longer like coated steel does? 

Flare can do DLC coating on the steel, they did this specifically for Andrew Cogliano before. If there was enough demand for it they would consider making it a standard offering instead of a custom order.