Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Flare Skate Blade - Anyone seen this or used it? WIder than typical steel

I've had these for over a month now. I Iike them a lot. I have the DLC coated version for Bauer edge holders, 272,  1 1/2 ROH. I used to use 95/50 FBV or 7/8th ROH on stepblack steel. I feel like I am able to get the same bite on my turns without having to lean over as much. The glide is amazing! For me, I don't think I can switch back the regular shaped steel anymore.

2 hours ago, dnoboy said:

Anyone know if products like Sweet Stick or Edge Again work on Flare? 

No, they do not. Please do not use them it will ruin the flare. 

Edited by Nicholas G

On 5/28/2019 at 6:30 PM, Nicholas G said:

Yeah, they sell it directly but shops also sell it now as well. We have a bunch of it. 

thats great! I didn't know that stores carried the DLC black Flare steel. I will look into it at my LHS

• Like 1

Hey guys,  I found these blades on Sideline for a great price and decided to give them a try.   Checked out the hollow conversion chart and called my local sharpening guy and asked if he had a 1 inch hollow (1/2 inch regular).   He did but was a little surprised at the ask.   Anyways had them sharpened at 1 inch.   It wasn’t easy for him though, toughest thing was ensuring level edges with a non modified quick square ( traditional quick square).  Anyways he tried real hard and asked if I would have my back ups handy on the bench just in case, which I would.    

So I played a game on them an hour later.    A few things first.   I’m 41 and play 3 times a week, strong level hockey.   Over the years    I have tried every skate boot on the market (2s pros, MX3s,  Makos, Reeboks, CCMs, VH etc...) and every skate blade (rocketrunners, Fusion, LS4, LS5, Step.. Blackedge, etc...).    

These blades absolutely blew me away.   No BS.   I have never skated so fast and with so much ease.   It was like I had a secret weapon vs the guys.   I was almost laughing.    I felt like “ just get me the puck and I’m gone”.    As other guys mentioned in prior posts, I was a little out of control at first because of how fast I was going  !    But then I got used to the extra control that you also have.     It’s really nuts !       As another person mentioned earlier they didn’t feel as sharp as my regular 1/2 inch, but once you trust them and corner hard,  the grip is completely there.   It’s takes a little time to get used to but after 25 minutes I was good to go.     The acceleration and top end speed is really crazy.   I’m a pretty tough critic on new hockey tech, but this is the real deal.     

All of the guys were mentioning how fast and well I was skating versus other nights.    Very excited with this find.    I may even buy the Flare modified quick square to provide to my skate sharpener (lol).   

The only thing I want know is to make sure they are being sharpened correctly each time.   That’s the only potential weakeness I see with the blade;  that people buy them and they are incorrectly sharpened and they have a bad experience and never try them again.     Perhaps a simple online video tutorial for sharpeners ?   I actually showed my guy the website and read him the sharpening instructions before he sharpened them.  

So this is really an amazing blade and use of technology.    I’m really perplexed as to why these haven’t exploded onto the market ?  Kind of like parabolic skis did.    Wait, maybe I don’t want other guys having these blades.... 

I’ve read through the thread but wondering If anyone has newer feedback or tips/tricks on having them optimally sharpened ?

Thanks !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Hey guys,  I found these blades on Sideline for a great price and decided to give them a try.   Checked out the hollow conversion chart and called my local sharpening guy and asked if he had a 1 inch hollow (1/2 inch regular).   He did but was a little surprised at the ask.   Anyways had them sharpened at 1 inch.   It wasn’t easy for him though, toughest thing was ensuring level edges with a non modified quick square ( traditional quick square).  Anyways he tried real hard and asked if I would have my back ups handy on the bench just in case, which I would.    

So I played a game on them an hour later.    A few things first.   I’m 41 and play 3 times a week, strong level hockey.   Over the years    I have tried every skate boot on the market (2s pros, MX3s,  Makos, Reeboks, CCMs, VH etc...) and every skate blade (rocketrunners, Fusion, LS4, LS5, Step.. Blackedge, etc...).    

These blades absolutely blew me away.   No BS.   I have never skated so fast and with so much ease.   It was like I had a secret weapon vs the guys.   I was almost laughing.    I felt like “ just get me the puck and I’m gone”.    As other guys mentioned in prior posts, I was a little out of control at first because of how fast I was going  !    But then I got used to the extra control that you also have.     It’s really nuts !       As another person mentioned earlier they didn’t feel as sharp as my regular 1/2 inch, but once you trust them and corner hard,  the grip is completely there.   It’s takes a little time to get used to but after 25 minutes I was good to go.     The acceleration and top end speed is really crazy.   I’m a pretty tough critic on new hockey tech, but this is the real deal.     

All of the guys were mentioning how fast and well I was skating versus other nights.    Very excited with this find.    I may even buy the Flare modified quick square to provide to my skate sharpener (lol).   

The only thing I want know is to make sure they are being sharpened correctly each time.   That’s the only potential weakeness I see with the blade;  that people buy them and they are incorrectly sharpened and they have a bad experience and never try them again.     Perhaps a simple online video tutorial for sharpeners ?   I actually showed my guy the website and read him the sharpening instructions before he sharpened them.  

So this is really an amazing blade and use of technology.    I’m really perplexed as to why these haven’t exploded onto the market ?  Kind of like parabolic skis did.    Wait, maybe I don’t want other guys having these blades.... 

I’ve read through the thread but wondering If anyone has newer feedback or tips/tricks on having them optimally sharpened ?

Thanks !

Have you ever used any steel with a Quad profile before trying the Flare blades?

On 12/4/2019 at 8:19 AM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Have you ever used any steel with a Quad profile before trying the Flare blades?

I have, and it's not the same.  In fact, I have a Quad 1 on my Flare steel.  The improvements/changes from Flare are more like those of FBV than a profile - more glide in flats and more bite at a given angle.  But the feeling is much more pronounced on the Flare.  FBV works by allowing a player to increase their edge sharpness by increasing glide through a change in the angle of the walls of the hollow.  So you can go sharper and still get the same, or more, glide.  Flare is different in that it is a mechanical alteration to the edge itself while keeping the hollow angle the same, allowing a player to decrease thier ROH, by sometimes up to 100%, while also increasing bite and edge stability.  The runner profile maximizes the performance of different characteristics along the blade when combined with each individual's skating mechanics, personal attributes, and preferences.  The Flare maximizes the performance of the bite angle with the ice across all blade characteristics and profiles.

12 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

I have, and it's not the same.  In fact, I have a Quad 1 on my Flare steel.  The improvements/changes from Flare are more like those of FBV than a profile - more glide in flats and more bite at a given angle.  But the feeling is much more pronounced on the Flare.  FBV works by allowing a player to increase their edge sharpness by increasing glide through a change in the angle of the walls of the hollow.  So you can go sharper and still get the same, or more, glide.  Flare is different in that it is a mechanical alteration to the edge itself while keeping the hollow angle the same, allowing a player to decrease thier ROH, by sometimes up to 100%, while also increasing bite and edge stability.  The runner profile maximizes the performance of different characteristics along the blade when combined with each individual's skating mechanics, personal attributes, and preferences.  The Flare maximizes the performance of the bite angle with the ice across all blade characteristics and profiles.

So would you say a Quad is not worth the time on Flare? I can't see how it would be of any benefit with the amount of blade loss. 

37 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

So would you say a Quad is not worth the time on Flare? I can't see how it would be of any benefit with the amount of blade loss. 

An interesting question, and one I hadn't thought of.  I was using a Quad 1 before the Flare, so I just stuck with it.  Since I didn't skate on the Flare before the profile was put on, I can't say for sure.  But I would guess that it might be overkill.  The whole point of the Quad is to milk the most performance out of the blade.  But the Flare does some of the things that the Quad is supposed to do on it's own, and from experience, does more than I use.  For example, the edge stability goes beyond an attack angle I typically get to.  I can get lower without blowing a tire than I normally go.  And the turning radius is greatly improved because you're essentially getting 6* lower at any given point on each turn.  That would mean the ultra short front radius, and section that eats away the most blade, on the Quad is probably unnecessary.  And even if there is a benefit, it may not be enough to outweigh the amount of lost steel.  A dual, or even triple, with a longer front radius would probably be all you need on the Flare.

I will say that if you haven't Flare, do so.  It's a very differet feeling, but once you get used to it, you really do see a pretty significant performance increase.

Edited by psulion22

2 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I use Flare with a Quad 1 profile and love it. While the regular flare 10' is good for most I need the forward pitch and the longer radius in the middle/heel. We have done a ton profiles on Flare steel. 

I should note, on standard Flare (10' profile) I used a 1" ROH and after I profiled it I changed to a 1.5" ROH

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

22 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I use Flare with a Quad 1 profile and love it. While the regular flare 10' is good for most I need the forward pitch and the longer radius in the middle/heel. We have done a ton profiles on Flare steel. 

I should note, on standard Flare (10' profile) I used a 1" ROH and after I profiled it I changed to a 1.5" ROH

I personally think quads are a waiste of steel. Except maybe the .5. But as inhave stated many many times 90% of the ones I see done never blend the toe so there not really quads  But Even more so on Flare i think it's a total waiste of blade. Combo i can see but that's it. 

Edited by oldtrainerguy28

50 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I personally think quads are a waiste of steel. Except maybe the .5. But as inhave stated many many times 90% of the ones I see done never blend the toe so there not really quads  But Even more so on Flare i think it's a total waiste of blade. Combo i can see but that's it. 

Funny, the only Quad I have ever tried is the 0.5

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Funny, the only Quad I have ever tried is the 0.5

How are you getting Flare for Edge? I see now that they're only selling to Canada. This is why I hate Bauer.

17 hours ago, darkhors said:

How are you getting Flare for Edge? I see now that they're only selling to Canada. This is why I hate Bauer.

From Seattle to Vancouver isn't that far of a drive 😉 

We tend to have staff go to the white north every month or so to grab some items from Lowry and other brands to save on shipping costs. Recently we had to head to Vancouver to pick up 50 cases of pucks! The downside is dealing with customs when coming back into the US. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

4 hours ago, swamp rabbit said:

I just bought of Flare Blades and my local shop will not profile them......anyone know where I can send them to get my current blade profile?

Where so you live? 

6 hours ago, swamp rabbit said:

I just bought of Flare Blades and my local shop will not profile them......anyone know where I can send them to get my current blade profile?

After what was posted above why dont you try as is?

On 12/6/2019 at 9:33 AM, darkhors said:

So you hate Bauer because other companies choose to comply with US patent laws...

Seems totally reasonable. 🙄