Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Flare Skate Blade - Anyone seen this or used it? WIder than typical steel

4 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I never said I was a C level beer league player. I actually played college at a BIG 10 school, and I can play both goalie and forward. 

I suggest you re-read my posts. You will find them to be well-reasoned and thought out.

On more than one occasion, I've submitted that I will be more cognizant of the alleged problem, but that I've not personally encountered it. 

It honestly feels like the issue is some people getting frustrated they can't convince otherwise happy consumers to share in the animus towards Bauer. 

I didn't bring up Bauer. Other people did - yourself included. 

And the goal was to gain knowledge, not troll. Not only do I have an upright sharpener, but I have multiple pairs of Bauer skates.

So (reading my prior posts), hopefully it makes sense where I'm coming from.

Lastly, this isn't the first time I've asked for specific examples from some of the posters and been met with, "I'm an expert, trust me".

Ok then. what top 10 school because over the last 2o years I have worked with players both male and female who are top players in the NCAA.  

Tell me the school and I give you a person on that team that knows me and knows I'm not full of shit

All my players inhave had major issues with are all players at CIS NCAA and OHL AHL and NHL. plus local AAA players heading to those places

players that are on the skates 6 to 7 days a week and are hard on them. 

If you want list I could give you exact teams but due to privacy of the top players the players names wont be released. 

My education may not be as high as yours in school so my vocabulary won't be to your standards. But when was the last time you were flown to play hockey in Amsterdam, Australia, Canada, USA and now China. 

All these places I have been brought to Train sharpening not just do it. 

Did your hockey career end in NCAA? 

I'm still learning. what I have learned is the Bauer Edge Holder is not anything what it could be. 30 plus years in the business plus a World Championship 2 National Championship and numerous Provincial Championships.  

2 years ago top team in North America.  

So yes Trust me I am an expert!!!

Also one of the longest members on this site as I helped sort out fitting online 2 years before this site was made with @JR Boucicaut help to someone I recall was Mako? maybe. 

Anyway spin this the way you want. Bauer stole the idea and didnt make it better. Period. 

Thank you to @darkhors for the comments even though I don't know you. 

And back on Topic ..I believe @Flare Skate Blade is on to something and they are willing toisten to suggestions unlike some above. And even critical feedback. Including admitting there first product 4 or more years ago was not great steel. The steel is good  ow the finish amazing and soon as I decide what I'm doing holder wise I am going to look into them much more thoroughly. 

I believe they have a solid product. I just refuse to spend any more money on blades for a holder I dont have faith in to last more than 3 months with level of players I deal with that are not on pro teams yet and are not getting the blades for free. 

Keep up the good work Flare

15 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

I trust computers over you. 

What else can I say? 

Not much, pretty much says it all. 

Personally. @JR Boucicaut not sure who this person is but I did go back and I have rarely been on as of late yet most of your posts troll me. 

So not sure what your agenda is but beat of luck with it. 

Funny how when you get called out you trust computers?? what does that have to anything about Flare or Edge holders being weak. 

My expiernece plus any machine  besides a Sparx hell I could probably make that better as well.but never would. 

Off to do something useful besides waiste more time with your BS.

Edited by oldtrainerguy28

3 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

That's awesome. 

I was just looking for empirical data. 

Tough times in the age of the algorithm .

Empirical data?  You mean like somebody’s observations who works in the field full-time at a high level?  You’re in luck then...  

17 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I never said I was a C level beer league player. I actually played college at a BIG 10 school, and I can play both goalie and forward. 

@pgeorgan My apologies. I was looking at a post near yours and misquoted it thinking it was yours. In fact it wasn't. That's my fault. Sorry about the mix up.

4 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I’ve searched through your posts and am seeing a pattern:

*Buys a Sparx*

“You’re an idiot”.

*Buys Bauer* 

“Bauer is crap”.

Don’t buy Bauer. It’s a free country. Idc. But there are a lot of happy customers on here with both.

You’re a seasoned EQM. Great. Straw man. Never challenged that. No need for the massive chip on your shoulder. But guess what, we had this little thing called the Scientific Revolution. People want to see for themselves.

The fact that you’re upset I don’t share in your animus is your problem. Not mine.

When I make a case, I say things like, "Here are the breakdowns on NHL equipment preference." Sticks. Gloves. Pants. Helmets. And yes, skates.

Try it some time. 

End rant.

Wow sure didnt troll far enough. 

Bauer boots are not bad at all except for mounting and blade alignment  

NHL private study completed showed in shot blocking they were mid pack barely. 

Sparx is no where near the quality of a ProSharp or the newest in scientific and automation as an @Elite Blade Performance

sharpening and profiling system. 

nice try though.  

Try asking why instead of saying blanket bullshit.

And I did ho back on topic but some people think they have to have the last word. 

you did troll me and picked out tiny snippets of thing you wanted to argue about  Plaun and simple. 

My only chip is ignorant younger people like yourself that think some of us older people are ignorant to change. When in fact we embrace and love new things to make the job easier and better. 

But I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade. 

your right it's done. 

38 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

NHL private study completed showed in shot blocking they were mid pack barely. 

Sparx is no where near the quality of a ProSharp or the newest in scientific and automation as an @Elite Blade Performance

Which boots were highest on that study, out of curiosity?

It's also nowhere near the price.  As with just about everything else, there is always a tradeoff between price and quality.  When considering price and performance, the Sparx is an excellent product for most home users, particularly those who don't have access to quality, or even competent, local sharpeners.  And before you argue - no, not everyone has an extra $1000 to buy a ProSharp.  No, most people don't have the time - either in training or sharpening - or possibly even the skill to use a manual machine. No, not everyone has a nearby sharpener that can sharpen a skate without ruining the profile - not even themselves. Yes, there is a lot to be said for the convenience of sharpening a skate while you pack your bag, allowing you to have good edges every session.  No, the end result is not as good as other machines or a good hand sharpener.  Yes, there are limitations on what it can do.  Yes, it's probably still a good idea to send the steel to a quality sharpener for a refresh periodically.  Yes, that partially defeats the purpose of having the machine.  Yes, despite that it's still worth the money for what it delivers. 

• Like 1

When I said back on topic, that means STOP ACTING LIKE CHILDREN @oldtrainerguy28 @pgeorgan

That means no “final words”. Just stop.

The next person to post in this thread had better read and re-read their post to ensure it’s content is specifically about the Flare skate blade and has nothing to do with what machine they like, who they can name drop, or who cares about science more.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

And back on Topic ..I believe @Flare Skate Blade is on to something and they are willing toisten to suggestions unlike some above. And even critical feedback. Including admitting there first product 4 or more years ago was not great steel. The steel is good  ow the finish amazing and soon as I decide what I'm doing holder wise I am going to look into them much more thoroughly. 

I believe they have a solid product. I just refuse to spend any more money on blades for a holder I dont have faith in to last more than 3 months with level of players I deal with that are not on pro teams yet and are not getting the blades for free. 

Keep up the good work Flare

I had already done that!! 

What to do if you dont have a @Flare Skate Blade edge checker,?? 

21 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

What to do if you dont have a @Flare Skate Blade edge checker,?? 

You can measure the steel from both sides and the offset of the level should match both sides, when you measure from the left side of the steel and the same when you measure from the right side of the steel

On 12/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, darkhors said:

With the potential to sounds a little arrogant here, you said yourself that you're a C level beer league player. You don't have the skating skill set and fundamentals (most likely) for it to affect you because, well, you're a great skater. What I find hilariously funny (not funny like a clown), is that you've been a member here for just shy of 2 months and you're arguing with someone that is a PROFESSIONAL EQM at the highest levels.

Level shaming, really?? Almost as bad a membership/post count shaming...luckily I got that one covered.

You don't need to be playing D1 or in the show to know when something's wrong. Just because someone never played to certian level doesn't mean they aren't an experienced player. In short, settle down Francis.

Onto Flare. The major hurdle I see, they are trying to crack a market lousy with brand loyality and skepticism. New tech and concepts aren't always welcomed with open arms. Could be great. They may not get a chance based on those factors. 

Edited by stick9
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Level shaming, really?? Almost as bad a membership/post count shaming...luckily I got that one covered.

You don't need to be playing D1 or in the show to know when something's wrong. Just because someone never played to certian level doesn't mean they aren't an experienced player. In short, settle down Francis.

Onto Flare. The major hurdle I see, they are trying to crack a market lousy with brand loyality and skepticism. New tech and concepts aren't always welcomed with open arms. Could be great. They may not get a chance based on those factors. 

Actually been working with players using them for a whole now. So far very much positive.  But I agree with a market full of "I'm the best blade" and now the parent issue. Unless your in LS2 or XS long term its an unknown. 

As for the level .. I was kinda asking what other tool could be used?.

1 hour ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

As for the level .. I was kinda asking what other tools could be used?.

To be honest, I haven't found anything that works well other than the Blackstone Flare edge checker. 

On 12/5/2019 at 1:29 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

I use Flare with a Quad 1 profile and love it. While the regular flare 10' is good for most I need the forward pitch and the longer radius in the middle/heel. We have done a ton profiles on Flare steel. 

I should note, on standard Flare (10' profile) I used a 1" ROH and after I profiled it I changed to a 1.5" ROH

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Flare use the standard factory profile of each manufacturer?  Ls3 edge being a 9'?

Its on their website FAQ https://flareskateblade.com/pages/faqs

On 10/25/2020 at 11:14 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Its a 10' profile. Also, the LS3 is a 10' profile as well. The LS2 was a 9' profile. 

Thanks, I didn't know that because I had LS2 before and never stock LS3 steel.

I'm late to the party, so having completed a scan through 8 pages of this I still have a few questions left that are hopefully easy due to time elapsed:

- how does steel quality on Flare compare with STEP Blacksteel? Am I correct in assuming that because of wide profile and the corresponding more shallow hollow the edge retention on Flare is comparable with Blacksteel even without DLC? In the FAQ Flare states that "Many Flare Blade users state they don't have to sharpen their blades as often as they used to with traditional blades. We use a very high-quality Swedish knife steel, so our blades do not wear down as fast as traditional steel blades which are almost entirely made in Asia." but STEP isn't made in Asia and has DLC hence the question.  

On 9/11/2017 at 2:11 PM, Tyler55 said:

As the Flare is worn down from sharpening, the bite angle doesn't change. It's still the same 6 degrees.So your turning advantage doesn't get lost. The total height of the Flare is 6.5mm and most people replace when it's about halfway down the Flare. Because the bite is better at 7/8" on a Flare than 1/2" on traditional steel, sharpening as often isn't necessary. If you are using a 7/8" hollow when the Flare is new, you could switch to a 3/4" as they get lower. I never have. It's all personal preference.The worst case scenario is you leave them too long and they just turn into traditional steel. 

- Since 4 years has gone since this post can someone confirm or deny whether the hollow must be adjusted as the blade wears down?

- Lastly even tho pros are creatures of habit and all that, plus "if it ain't broken don't fix it" but if the performance benefits are so substantial why aren't there many more people switching? True is a good example of a brand that ended up with a pretty strong penetration into the pro market, but there isn't a lot of hype re Flare so are there any drawbacks to this setup? ie would angles that a player used to feel the same because of 6 degree change in the steel?

On 10/17/2021 at 5:03 PM, SolarWind said:

I'm late to the party, so having completed a scan through 8 pages of this I still have a few questions left that are hopefully easy due to time elapsed:

- how does steel quality on Flare compare with STEP Blacksteel? Am I correct in assuming that because of wide profile and the corresponding more shallow hollow the edge retention on Flare is comparable with Blacksteel even without DLC? In the FAQ Flare states that "Many Flare Blade users state they don't have to sharpen their blades as often as they used to with traditional blades. We use a very high-quality Swedish knife steel, so our blades do not wear down as fast as traditional steel blades which are almost entirely made in Asia." but STEP isn't made in Asia and has DLC hence the question.  

- Since 4 years has gone since this post can someone confirm or deny whether the hollow must be adjusted as the blade wears down?

- Lastly even tho pros are creatures of habit and all that, plus "if it ain't broken don't fix it" but if the performance benefits are so substantial why aren't there many more people switching? True is a good example of a brand that ended up with a pretty strong penetration into the pro market, but there isn't a lot of hype re Flare so are there any drawbacks to this setup? ie would angles that a player used to feel the same because of 6 degree change in the steel?

Why not compare Flare DLC with STEP Black? Would that not be a more fair comparison?

The hollow does not need to be adjusted as the steel wears down, the angle of attack is preserved and that is actually what makes Flare so significant as opposed to conventional steel.

There are a LOT of players switching. Kane, Debrincat, Barzal, Connor Bedard, Matthew Savoie, and many many many others. I think something like 50% of the top 20 players (based on points) in the WHL are using Flare. My store does all of the team sales for UNLV ACHA D1 and multiple teams for USPHL and about 35% of those players are using Flare too.

If you arent seeing a lot of people using it they are either too afraid to change, dont want to change, or they have never seen or experienced skating on Flare. Once you skate on Flare its hard to go back to traditional steel.

I sell a ton of DLC and standard stainless Flare, both hold their edge very well. I would not say better than STEP. Both are very good. However, with Flare even if you roll and edge or have some blade trauma you rarely feel it as the hollow is so flat as opposed to traditional steel.

2 hours ago, PBH said:

Why not compare Flare DLC with STEP Black? Would that not be a more fair comparison?

The hollow does not need to be adjusted as the steel wears down, the angle of attack is preserved and that is actually what makes Flare so significant as opposed to conventional steel.

Thanks for the detailed response!

I’m tempted to try it, but the main reason for not even bringing Flare DLC into the conversation is the major difference in price: I just found brand new blacksteel for $95 cdn shipped, and the only Flare DLC I could find is directly on the manufacturer’s website for $240 cdn + shipping.  So 2.5 times price difference…

13 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Thanks for the detailed response!

I’m tempted to try it, but the main reason for not even bringing Flare DLC into the conversation is the major difference in price: I just found brand new blacksteel for $95 cdn shipped, and the only Flare DLC I could find is directly on the manufacturer’s website for $240 cdn + shipping.  So 2.5 times price difference…

What size do you need and for what holder? I might be able to send you a trial pair. We keep them in stock for players to test before buying. Although, there is always the Flare satisfaction guarantee.