Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MCornell

Bauer Total One vs. HP girdle

Hey guys - I tried to search this topic but didn't come across an answer. 

Is there a difference between the two girdles as far as weight/protection/quality go?

looking to replace my TotalOne and it seems Bauer has done away with a true girdle and there are still some of these around. Not sure if it's a lower price point item or a SMU for stores so looking for some input. Thnks!

30 minutes ago, MCornell said:

I've been girdle shopping recently (I've got two sons both in girdles - one wearing a Bauer TotalOne NXG and the other a Warrior Dynasty that need to be replaced) and wasn't impressed with Bauer's S190 girdle. It looks a lot like the HP Pro on TotalHockey's site. Not enough protection for my liking - compared to the NXG girdle my son was wearing previously it seems like a downgrade particularly in the kidney protection area.

Based on Internet info I thought I was going to be leaning towards CCM's 7092, but I had a closer look at the Super Tacks girdle in the store and it's lighter and less bulky than I was assuming it might be. It seems to offer more protection than the others. They didn't have my son's size in stock so I'm waiting on a medium to ship in and will be comparing it in detail with the NXG and Dynasty once I get it.

colins

• Like 1

Any Bauer product with "HP" in the name is generally an SMU for Pure Hockey.

That being said, I am looking to replace my TO girdle, and have looked at both the older and newer HP girdles in store at Pure Hockey.  I see zero tangible difference between the Total One and Supreme Total One HP girdle in terms of fit, and padding.  However, the 2017 Supreme HP Pro girdle seems to be slightly better construction than all 3, albeit for a mere 10.00 markup.

I have been using the CCM Super Tacks for a couple months, 2x/week and love it. It does not look durable due to the thin fabric and velcro, but so far it is holding up pretty well. The last few offers of girdles in the Bauer Supreme line, I have seen durability issues with, in the reviews on the retailer sites and YouTube. I was previously unfamiliar with the "HP/HP Pro" though.

I wore the Supreme HP girdle for a year and it wore down pretty quickly.  Also I ended up being disappointed in the (lack of) kidney and side protection, and I'm tall and it's non-adjustable lengthwise so it ended up being on the short side. I did try it on before I bought but it turned out to be a bigger issue for me than I had hoped.

In its defense, people who wore wrap girdles knew it came with the territory.  Hell, I even stripped padding out of it (specifically the pad that ran around the groin.)

That is why Bauer had to beef up the protection/add an attachable shell to it to be accepted by the masses. 

• Like 1

My son's had some time in the Super Tacks girdle. And I've been comparing it to the NXG and Dynasty girdles which we also have.

My summary after a month or so is... mixed. 

Good:

Kidney protection, fit around the kidneys, Lower back/spine protection, hip protection, light weight.

Bad:

The groin piece that makes it more of a 'pull on' instead of a wrap girdle, the thigh protection which seems to want to twist towards the outside leaving the inner thigh exposed, the high belly pad which sits a bit uncomfortable above the waist. Tailbone protection is also somewhat questionable.

I've already taken the scissors to the girdle, trimming the belly pad above the velcro so that it's level with the velcro (and re-stitching the trim), and cutting out the groin leg/butt piece. So now it's a wrap girdle, and other than maybe some concern the tailbone pad could shifting upwards, it feels a lot less constricting and more mobile with that cut out.

Overall it's at least as good as the Dynasty, but they are very different and have their own appealing features and drawbacks. The NXG is comfortable but I would still rate it less protective than either of the other two.

One thing I would say about the Super Tacks girdle is that the sizing runs towards the small side. If you comfortably wear medium mens in a typical pant like the Nexus, the medium Super Tacks girdle might be too small for you. Part of my problem with the groin area of the girdle and the thigh pads shifting might be related to the sizing. My son is 5'10 175lbs, 32 waist, which depending on the height or the waist is at the top or bottom of the sizing guide (he's at max height, but minimum waist size). Really recommend trying these on in-store before purchase to confirm you get the best fit.

colins

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2017 at 6:54 PM, colins said:

Bad: The groin piece that makes it more of a 'pull on' instead of a wrap girdle, the thigh protection which seems to want to twist towards the outside leaving the inner thigh exposed, the high belly pad which sits a bit uncomfortable above the waist. Tailbone protection is also somewhat questionable.

Thank you for your post. I just bought these SuperTacks and am not sure about them. I love girdles, but this is driving me nuts. I don't know whether to get the 9092 or try a Bauer again. I'm currently using a Bauer One.8 that's great, but needs much more protection, but can't seem to find a good substitute. 

On 9/6/2017 at 6:46 PM, MCornell said:

Hey guys - I tried to search this topic but didn't come across an answer. 

Is there a difference between the two girdles as far as weight/protection/quality go?

looking to replace my TotalOne and it seems Bauer has done away with a true girdle and there are still some of these around. Not sure if it's a lower price point item or a SMU for stores so looking for some input. Thnks!

Get the TRUE girdle or the Warrior QRE girdle. Those have better protection than the others and after having a girdle with a cup pocket I don't think I could ever go back to wearing a cup inside my jock pants.