Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamarquan

All Black Bauer Sticks - What Are These?

Saw these in my LHS yesterday. Same TexTreme construction (shaft + blade) as the $270 1S right next to it, but were selling for $129. The only markings on the stick were P88 - 70 Flex. 

Curious to see if anyone has information on these.

Probably knockoffs from China. ABS uses 3k weave on their sticks (and probably has a brand graphic somewhere), NNH still has "No Name Hockey" written somewhere on the shaft.

Howdy,

Someone I play with has a couple of the All Black Hockey Sticks.

What's the deal with these anyway?  Are they a factory that produces manufacturer sticks and runs some on the side?  Or is this an importer that purchases sticks from the same factories in China that the big boys use?

Mark

Was it one of these?

http://www.allblackhockeysticks.com

I have no firsthand information but I suspect they get them for cheap from a composites manufacturer in China. It doesn't even have to be one of the factories that the big boys use... composites manufacturing is not so specialized anymore.

They take an unbranded stick and make that their brand... kind of brilliant.

4 minutes ago, DRR said:

Was it one of these?

http://www.allblackhockeysticks.com

I have no firsthand information but I suspect they get them for cheap from a composites manufacturer in China. It doesn't even have to be one of the factories that the big boys use... composites manufacturing is not so specialized anymore.

They take an unbranded stick and make that their brand... kind of brilliant.

Not really. Like I said, it had the TexTreme construction (looks like it's made of the little carbon fiber squares, both shaft and blade) you'd find on a $300 Bauer Stick, and used the same curve names, but with no graphics and sold for $129, not the aforementioned $300. https://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-stick-supreme-1s-grip-17-sr.html#2

Looks like that but with no graphics, same little squares on the blade an shaft.

30 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Someone I play with has a couple of the All Black Hockey Sticks.

What's the deal with these anyway?  Are they a factory that produces manufacturer sticks and runs some on the side?  Or is this an importer that purchases sticks from the same factories in China that the big boys use?

Mark

I think ABHS is their own brand and manufactures their own sticks, but that's just a guess. Your second point seems closer to correct, and they're brought in without branding. Like buying a fake iPhone off Amazon for $300 or whatever it may be.

The other thing was that it used 70 flex, which isn't a Bauer retail flex, but I'm sure is possible if you go through a rep for a custom run, plus I'm fairly sure I've seen it before.

1 hour ago, GoalForFun said:

Probably knockoffs from China. ABS uses 3k weave on their sticks (and probably has a brand graphic somewhere), NNH still has "No Name Hockey" written somewhere on the shaft.

I didn't see it, but then again I didn't look that hard. I wouldn't have bought it either way, but that's for other reasons.

It's entirely possible this a a G3 stick with no graphics, but I think they're usually dressed as a Nexus 1000. Maybe @Zac911 knows, I think he used to work at Bauer from a one of his posts here.

Or I'm super wrong.

Sounds very similar to the original Tron 405 stick that was all black with TexTreme-like finish. Only logo on it was a small sticker at the very top. Probably came from the same online chinese wholesaler. 

Might be knockoff from china. I had some exp with these kind of sticks. Quite similar to supreme, depends on what you ordered. Cant comment much about its feel though.

36 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Sounds very similar to the original Tron 405 stick that was all black with TexTreme-like finish. Only logo on it was a small sticker at the very top. Probably came from the same online chinese wholesaler. 

No stickers on the top, but probably fake anyway.

23 minutes ago, jazz4all said:

Might be knockoff from china. I had some exp with these kind of sticks. Quite similar to supreme, depends on what you ordered. Cant comment much about its feel though.

That sounds right. 

Either way, I wasn't going to buy the stick, I was just curious as to what it was.

A lot of companies are using 18K carbon fiber weaves like TeXtreme (STX, Sherwood, CCM) but only Bauer can use the TeXtreme brand of 18K. Check out the overall consistency of the layering especially near the fusion point in the hosel compared to the 1S. If the pattern of carbon is super straight throughout the whole stick, it could be an unpainted Bauer, but I'd still doubt it. You'll more than likely see uneven layering consistency. 

19 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

No stickers on the top, but probably fake anyway.

That sounds right. 

Either way, I wasn't going to buy the stick, I was just curious as to what it was.

I'm sure the sticker was put on by Tron. Nowadays they have actual graphics put on their knockoffs. 

6 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Saw these in my LHS yesterday. Same TexTreme construction (shaft + blade) as the $270 1S right next to it, but were selling for $129. The only markings on the stick were P88 - 70 Flex. 

Curious to see if anyone has information on these.

I don't see your photo.  ???

I know where there are all black Bauer sticks with no graphics. At the Own The Moment store. You try all of the blacked out sticks while the employee asks you questions and takes notes. Takes out all bias.

12 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

I don't see your photo.  ???

I know where there are all black Bauer sticks with no graphics. At the Own The Moment store. You try all of the blacked out sticks while the employee asks you questions and takes notes. Takes out all bias.

I really should have taken one - the guy was already there almost an hour after closing time helping me out with new skates so at that point it was just about getting out quick.

That's a clever system, unfortunately there's no Own The Moment store near me.

They are probably the same as the sticks "made" by companies like Silverback et al. If you can fill out an order form then you can become a stick "manufacturer".

12 hours ago, IW Team - Chase said:

If the pattern of carbon is super straight throughout the whole stick, it could be an unpainted Bauer, but I'd still doubt it.

I was wondering about this. It seems that on Bauers, at the hosel area the carbon weave isn't continuous from shaft to blade. Is that because of their blade construction tech (Power Sense vs. Aero Sense)? Because I've noticed that on knockoff sticks, either the weave is actually continuous shaft to blade or the hosel angle is all off rather than lined up perfectly (which I think is what you were saying).

7 minutes ago, DRR said:

Maybe ask someone at the LHS? :35_thinking:

The guy just said they were blacked out sticks, but similar to a top end stick.

When pro stick sticks or high end close outs are available at the same or often times less than these sticks of questionable lineage/ performance I'm surprised they even get a second look.

10 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

I was wondering about this. It seems that on Bauers, at the hosel area the carbon weave isn't continuous from shaft to blade. Is that because of their blade construction tech (Power Sense vs. Aero Sense)? Because I've noticed that on knockoff sticks, either the weave is actually continuous shaft to blade or the hosel angle is all off rather than lined up perfectly (which I think is what you were saying).

That's the fusion point between the blade and the shaft, you'll notice some companies will lay a graphic over it instead. I'd like to see a picture of a knockoff with the continuous weave and would like to hear how they did that. That's quite interesting. 

2 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

You know full well that's a lie.

Yup.

2 hours ago, Monty22 said:

When pro stick sticks or high end close outs are available at the same or often times less than these sticks of questionable lineage/ performance I'm surprised they even get a second look.

I think it just piques people's curiosity. I wasn't interested in buying it.

1 hour ago, IW Team - Chase said:

That's the fusion point between the blade and the shaft, you'll notice some companies will lay a graphic over it instead. I'd like to see a picture of a knockoff with the continuous weave and would like to hear how they did that. That's quite interesting. 

I could go back, just not anytime soon because I don't really have a need or want to. I could have taken a picture there for reference, just didn't have time.

6 hours ago, IW Team - Chase said:

As far as I can tell, there's no fuse point in the 18k one on the right. But that might just be because they overlapped the two sheets perfectly?

9Ehc6R4.png

Granted, there are very, very few sample pics I've seen with such an 18k stick.