Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leif

Worth getting a composite stick?

20 hours ago, Leif said:

I seem to have started a discussion here. :biggrin: I think it's worth pointing out that I'm in the UK and equipment selection here is much more limited, due to a much smaller market as hockey is a minority sport. So the only 'twigs' available are tree trunks such as the one I bought. It was worth buying as at first I had a righty stick, then tried a lefty which turned out to be the right one for me. 

It might indeed be too stiff, I don't know either way, and I'll try and borrow a more flexible stick once I get more adept at shooting. At the moment I'm focussed more on the basics, namely controlling the puck when motoring across the rink and dodging those nice gentlemen, and ladies, on the opposing side who seem intent on spoiling my fun. :biggrin: But honestly I wish I'd bought a budget composite stick once I knew I was a lefty, I feel learning would have been a little faster. 

I guess for you people hockey is very much part of your culture, and you start young, rather than at 53 as in my case. What a brilliant game though. 

You have a great attitude, go out and have fun.  I wouldn't worry too much about the too-stiff stick for now. The next stick you buy, look into an "intermediate" level stick. They are almost the same as the "senior" sticks but they generally come an inch or two shorter, and in a much more realistic flex range for a beginner - 65-77 or so. For now I think you're fine with what you have; work on handling the puck and keeping your balance as you shoot. That's going to be much more important than stick flex at this point. 

When I started out I used a wooden stick that I don't even think had a stiffness rating. You learn and adjust as you go.

2 hours ago, kyleo29 said:

Hang on, where did you get a wooden warrior stick?? I feel like I need that

Several local shops have them, they seem common in the UK. 

You will see the warrior woodie in their European catalog.  Bauer also appears to offer things over in Europe that you cannot find in N.A. Talking about 2 peice options OR at least a few years back they did.

I think the sweet spot is the composite shaft with a woodie replacement blade. Problem is finding a replacement blade that works for you. Going all woodie is probably the safe bet till your technique is good enough to venture into the composite OPSs...

6 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

I think the sweet spot is the composite shaft with a woodie replacement blade. Problem is finding a replacement blade that works for you. Going all woodie is probably the safe bet till your technique is good enough to venture into the composite OPSs...

https://www.prostockhockey.com/clearance-sticks/right-bobby-holik-10k-stick-2/

The wood shaft/comp blade combo was legit

On 9/16/2017 at 8:25 PM, Leif said:

We had an hour session last night at 10:15pm, and all I can say is this stick has made a huge difference. I was able to do crossovers and hockey stops while controlling the puck, and skate backwards with the puck, whereas previously I struggled. Other lads my size were using sticks with the same flex. Perhaps a more flexible stick might be better, I can't say I know, but the weight reduction has noticeably improved my balance. I weighed both sticks and the difference is about half a pound. Perhaps the composite has less weight in the blade end relatively speaking. 

It's great that you're enjoying your new composite stick. I'm not one who thinks you should learn with a wooden blade. Many kids learn to ride a bike without training wheels. Those who learn with training wheels have to re-learn riding without them later. If you learn puck feel with a wooden blade, you'll have to re-learn it with a composite blade later. Just practice dribbling the puck with your eyes closed and, with a little concentration, you'll eventually learn what the puck feels like as it drifts toward the toe or heel of your stick blade. If you want to experiment with different curves and lies, you could use a 2-piece composite shaft and blade.