Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giraffe14

Light Speed Edge Holder - Blade Movement

I have a pair of Bauer Nexus skates with Lightspeed Edge holders.  I have noticed that the blades move slightly while "secured" in the holder. For example, if I pull down on the blades at the front of the skates there is a few milimeters of movement.   

It is only the front part of the blade that has movement, the rear (where it attaches to the trigger mechanism) is secure.  This happens on both skates, and seems worse with LS3 steel than LS2, though I don't know if there is any relation.  

Is this a problem?  Should I look at replacing the runners?  The skates are only about 1 year old.  

Thanks in advance.  

9 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Replace the holders it's not the runners. You can put tape on the blade but it just gets wider over time.

Has Bauer released an updated version of the holder that fixes this problem?

2 hours ago, Dman692420 said:

I would suggest StepSteel. Have them in mine and are nice & tight.

It is not the steel. I have the black steel (step) and have gone through 4 (yes 4!!!!) holders with the same issue. 

Thanks for the replies.  I'll tape them for now, then decide what to do longer term.  @Amiroo39 4 holders is ridiculous.  

If I were to replace the holders with CCM E Pro, would the holes line up on the bottom, or would I need to drill new holes?  

I don't want to sound rude, but if you keep on switching holders and the problem persists, wouldn't it mean that it is the runner that is the problem?

just saying...

Yes the tape works but you have to keep maintaining it every couple of months or so (or depending on your time on ice). The problem is the holder, once it starts to open up the plastic just doesn't seem to hold its shape (and therefore lock on the blade) very well. With ongoing use it just keeps slowly opening up.

On 9/29/2017 at 5:19 PM, Giraffe14 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I'll tape them for now, then decide what to do longer term.  @Amiroo39 4 holders is ridiculous.  

If I were to replace the holders with CCM E Pro, would the holes line up on the bottom, or would I need to drill new holes?  

I can’t speak to the E-Pro but the CCM SpeedBlade holder (the current CCM holder) is supposed to be a direct match to the Turk rivet pattern.