Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

malcb33

Breaking Steel repeatedly

A friend of mine is having a really hard time with breaking steel and I've never heard of someone breaking steel like this before, so I thought I would ask here to get some thoughts on it ( @oldtrainerguy28 @JR Boucicaut )

My buddy is a husky guy who prefers a short 8' profile as he grew up on it due to the way the sharpener cut skates back then. He's recently dropped down to a 5/8 hollow from a 1/2 as well.

In the last 8 weeks or so he has broken 5 blades and has never broken steel before. At first he was using LS2 on his Nexus skates, then I believe went through another 2 sets of LS2 before switching his holders and steel out to Edge holders and LS4. He broke the LS4 after only skating on them 2-3 times and then broken another set of LS3 (I think) again last night on a pass from the D form the corner to the high slot area (pass was average speed, not a zinger by any means).

I would imagine using a shorter profile this would put more pressure on the steel contacting the ice (more pressure on less steel) but I've never heard of someone going through so many blades before. Any ideas as to what's going on here?

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Get step steel?

I've been saying this too but when when you need steel in a rush and no one carries Step locally right now, it's not an option. 

I skate on Step myself and understand the benefits but surely Bauer steel isn't that bad it should break like this. I've never broken Bauer steel before myself, so I feel like something else is the issue. 

Have to agree with Buzz - if the original mount was not true, even with the new holders, if the same holes are being used, it’s probably stressing the steel. 

Are they all breaking in the same spot?

Yes, the last 3 breaks have been basically in the middle give or take an 1" or so.

Let's say this is the case, he's had the same skates for at least 6-7 months so why all the breaks in the last 2 months and not before that?

One good puck contact to the steel could warp both the runner and holder. If the steel is curved and pre-stressed, it takes a less significant impact to break it. Any subsequent steel put in that same holder will also be curved in that holder and the same thinking applies. Especially if hes a bigger guy putting a good amount of weight on the runner. 

I had a look at the mount job and the rear rivets on the front tower are noticeably angled, so it seems like the holes in the boot don't align well with the holder.

Is this something that should be taken up with Bauer? Or has the fact the holders have been switch out for LS Edge voided any potential warranty claim?