Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BMcDonald19

Bauer 3D Scan

I recently tried out the Bauer 3D foot scan. I was told that I was a 5.5EE. 

My question is, is that ONLY for the current Gen skates? Would I be a 5.5 in the Vapor 1X from a few seasons ago?

Also would the width on a 6 EE skate be the same as the width on a 5.5 EE skate?

I don't think the last has changed that recently, so sizing should be near the same. 5.5EE and 6EE may share a common toe cap, so potentially the same width, but I'm no expert on that aspect

On 10/4/2017 at 9:35 PM, Jason said:

The width on skates typically goes up as the sizes go up.

plus your going from a junior to senior skate.  Keep that in mind when looking at higher vs. lower lines of skates.  If your an adult, you may overpower the lower flex skates.  I need a composite skate for stiffness (I'm a 5.5EE, and lets say on the heavier side).  

and often Bauer junior skates are not made to the same level as senior skates, Whilst a junior may have a 1x name, the materials it is made from are not the same as a senior 1x. But some other brands don't follow this principle, I know for sure that CCM / Rbk junior skates from 2014(?) and onwards (RBZ, Jetspeed, FT1, Super and Ultra tacks, 50k, 70k lines) are made the same as the senior skates (I don't know about previous lines though).

2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

and often Bauer junior skates are not made to the same level as senior skates, Whilst a junior may have a 1x name, the materials it is made from are not the same as a senior 1x. But some other brands don't follow this principle, I know for sure that CCM / Rbk junior skates from 2014(?) and onwards (RBZ, Jetspeed, FT1, Super and Ultra tacks, 50k, 70k lines) are made the same as the senior skates (I don't know about previous lines though).

Not true on the high end boot.  That practice was abandoned quite a while ago. 

On 10/9/2017 at 1:03 PM, jgold47 said:

plus your going from a junior to senior skate.  Keep that in mind when looking at higher vs. lower lines of skates.  If your an adult, you may overpower the lower flex skates.  I need a composite skate for stiffness (I'm a 5.5EE, and lets say on the heavier side).  

5.5 was always made at a senior stiffness due to the fact that adults may wear them. 

3 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Not true on the high end boot.  That practice was abandoned quite a while ago. 

Thanks, I stand corrected. I knew they used to do this but having been away from that side of the business for a while I am not up to the play with what Bauer do now in Junior skates.

I finally had a run in with the scanner.  Told me I was between a 4 and 4.5 in a nexus EE.  Keep in mind I can’t get a 5EE on without crushing my toes.  Was a little surprised it suggested I had a higher arch as the CCM tester thing doesn’t.  Also surprised it said I was an E width (on the stats, not the recommendation) not a full EE or wider as my foot is getting squeezed in my EE supremes right now.  

I’ll try it again at another shop.  

Must go see JR. Must go see JR. Must go see JR. 

Mine is finally operational - we had some issues with wi-fi in the store and then the scanner locked up due to some settings change.

I think I know why people are getting false readings.  I've done my scan 3 different ways and knees bent/barefoot is the most accurate I'm seeing.  It nailed my sizing.  

It put me in a Vapor 10.5 EE, which is my Vapor size.  I wear a Supreme 10.5 D and it's snug in the width, but I just like that feel better.

On 10/16/2017 at 12:06 PM, jgold47 said:

I’ll try it again at another shop.  

Must go see JR. Must go see JR. Must go see JR. 

I think the answer here is that you must go see JR.  I climbed onto his machine a few days ago and it is, in fact, spot on.  

Howdy,

Gave this a go tonight in Cranberry, PA while waiting for a sharpening.  Barefoot, standing up straight.  Recommendation was a 7EE Supreme.  I'm currently in a 7.5D Mako M8.  In the Mako I fail the pencil test for volume, but it's never been an issue for lace bite, maybe because of the plastic metatarsal guard?

The store kid said that he'd recommend a 7.5 instead of a 7, not entirely sure why.

The display was kinda interesting.  I'm not sure I completely followed what the various lines meant.  It was nice to be able to switch the widths and boot families around and see what differences happened.

@JR Boucicaut, what differences have you seen standing up straight vs. bent knees?  We might be doing this for real for my wife for xmas...

Mark

Howdy,

15 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Good ol' Cranberry, PA. That was my home rink when Slippery Rock played there. I assume @marka is at Blade Runners (if it is still called that)?

The rink is still there.  Now it's Baierl Ice Complex.  https://goo.gl/maps/RAJttvGAwcF2

I play there a good bit.

There's also the Lemieux UPMC Sports Complex there too, which is the Penguins practice facility.

Mark

10 hours ago, marka said:

what differences have you seen standing up straight vs. bent knees?  We might be doing this for real for my wife for xmas...

Bent.  Straight typically goes up 1/2 size.

I did a Bauer scan last month at TSR. Not sure how accurate the machine is, considering it said I wore a size 8EE. However I never wore an 8, I've always worn like a 9 or 9.5. Still can't beat trying on multiple pairs of skates. 

On 12/5/2017 at 11:14 PM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Times are a changin' ha. I'm pretty sure SRU calls the Sports Complex home now. Cool.

They do, and they mangle the ice surface for the rest of us when they have 30+ skaters practicing and getting "bag skated".

Sorry, angry old guy part of me took over for a second there.

On 12/6/2017 at 6:54 AM, Buddy said:

I did a Bauer scan last month at TSR. Not sure how accurate the machine is, considering it said I wore a size 8EE. However I never wore an 8, I've always worn like a 9 or 9.5. Still can't beat trying on multiple pairs of skates. 

Maybe what you always wore is wrong?

Howdy,

49 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I wonder what it would suggest for me since I’ve worn all three lines with no success.

Yeah, this is a good question.  There's obviously no incentive for Bauer to do this, but it would be neat if there were some metrics on how "perfect" the best (of the three) skates was for you.  My guess is that the various lines and such are pretty sanitized and such, but I have no actual idea.

I bet this is a place where someone good like JR or whoever could extrapolate the Bauer results to other brands that might be even closer.

Mark

I’d like to think that you need to take this 3D scanner with a grain of salt. I’d like to see some feedback from people it suggested something unexpected for them that they actually went with and it was right. I wear customs and my sizing has changed over the last three pairs. My first fitting had me in a 9 1/4 E left and 8 5/8ths EE right. Three years later my latest pair is an 8.25 E Left and 8.0 EE right. Never felt better. Sometimes you’ve just gotta try stuff on and see what feels the best.