Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jpeaslee

Volume vs Fit

I have a high instep and a E width foot, wear 12 dress shoes, usually a 13 tennis shoe.  My old Mission Boss skates 12EE (but fit same to shoe size) fit great and are comfortable.  They do fail the pencil test on the two two eyelets, but pass everywhere else.  I don't know how normal it is but on the top of my foot where the bend is, is really soft (I'm a chubby dude).  If I put a slight bit of pressure it does make a big different when I'm trying to pass a pencil test.

I just can't seem to find a current(ish) ice skate that has enough volume but fits the rest of my foot.  Jetspeeds in a 10.5EE fit perfect, but fail the pencil test right in the bend of my foot.  Other than that they have great heel lock, forefoot is comfortable, and the toe box is wide enough for my toes.  I'm ready to pull the trigger on these and keep them, but I'm worried about lace bite down the road.  

Here are some pics of the jetspeeds wearing a thin ccm liner sock:
https://imgur.com/iXSJ86W
https://imgur.com/xaR8B53

My supreme 180s in 11EE are too long, too wide in the heel, but almost pass the pencil test throughout the boot.  However I get heel lift, blisters, and my feet slop around in them.

Nexus n7000s 10.5D, I almost pass the pencil test, but damn are they uncomfortable, hot spots all through the forefoot and the toe box just doesn't fit my toes right.  

Some of the 2014 tacks I didn't pass the pencil test on, and were still too small in the toe box.

Do I go for the jetspeeds and plan on using some Bunga pads or H pads to prevent the lace bite?  For now I'm continuing to skate in my Supremes and just using ezee booties to prevent too much heel lift/slip and powerfeet to make them feel not so much too big, but I've got to get something figured out for the long run.  My local pro shop doesn't really have much in my sizes, so I've been ordering skates online and sending them back, but I'm just not sure where to go from here.  

7 minutes ago, Shogun said:

If I were you, I wouldn’t get the Jetspeed’s. They’re way too shallow for you. Maybe try Supertack’s or VH. 

I tried on a pair of tacks 5092, and they failed the pencil test even worse than I did in the jetspeeds.  The width on them in a 10.5D was fine, but the toecap was KILLING my pinky toe.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

What about a Nexus? Did you try a heat mold to see if that would help with the pressure points?

The Nexus n7000 I tried weren't baked.  If I bake skates, I can't return them.  There's no lottery down here in the Bible Belt of Alabama, so my funding isn't quite unlimited.  I'm thinking I'm going to try the nexus again but in a 1/2 size bigger and see if that alleviates the pressure I'm getting on the forefoot.  I know some of the hotspots will bake out, but at some point somethings just gotta start fitting a little better, right?  

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like in the nexus you don't get near the same amount of features at the comparable price point in supremes?

Do not buy the Jetspeed. You're setting yourself up for lace bite. While expensive, get yourself VH skates. They'll be able to work with a high instep and wide foot. Your standard store bought skates aren't going to work based upon everything you're telling us. You'll thank yourself later.

What is your budget? 

Nexus skates back backwards quite a bit. What I mean is the ankle padding is really thick on them and you gain a lot of room when they soften up with a bake as your heel slides back. N7000 is a pretty garbage skate though, specially if you came from 180.

Can you tie up the Jetspeeds and take a photo of them from the side? 

2 hours ago, Hills said:

What is your budget? 

Nexus skates back backwards quite a bit. What I mean is the ankle padding is really thick on them and you gain a lot of room when they soften up with a bake as your heel slides back. N7000 is a pretty garbage skate though, specially if you came from 180.

Can you tie up the Jetspeeds and take a photo of them from the side? 

I can definitely do that when I get home.

I ordered the n7000s because they were in stock just to be able to try on a nexus, but the last should be the same for the n8000, right?  $400 is where i'm trying to stay at.  I've found some of the previous Nexus 7000 for around $300, and possibly a pair of the Nexus 8000 for $400, and I'd definitely give those a good look if the last is the same (my understanding is that the last and sizing hasn't changed on the nexus).  

Unless you go custom, finding a retail boot to fit when you fall outside the manufacturers idea of a "normal" foot shape is a difficult task. If a Jetspeed heel fits you then you are very unlikely to have as good a heel fit in a Nexus. Nexus fits wider and deeper thru the heel pocket, so you solve your volume issue and end up with a sloppy heel? To me that's a big step backwards.  Volume can be fixed a number of ways, yes it can be a hassle for each time you skate but I'd take the extra 5 minutes to get ready and a good fitting skate every where else than one that slops around on my foot any day.

On 18/10/2017 at 1:36 PM, jpeaslee said:

I can definitely do that when I get home.

I ordered the n7000s because they were in stock just to be able to try on a nexus, but the last should be the same for the n8000, right?  $400 is where i'm trying to stay at.  I've found some of the previous Nexus 7000 for around $300, and possibly a pair of the Nexus 8000 for $400, and I'd definitely give those a good look if the last is the same (my understanding is that the last and sizing hasn't changed on the nexus).  

While the N7000 and N8000 are advertised to fit the same and are evidently built to the same last. I have found the N8000 fits "better." While that is obviously completely dependant on the foot itself, 99% of people who try on the N7000 vs N8000 feel better in the N8000 and the N8000 pulls your heel back more when you bake compared to the N7000.

2 hours ago, Hills said:

While the N7000 and N8000 are advertised to fit the same and are evidently built to the same last. I have found the N8000 fits "better." While that is obviously completely dependant on the foot itself, 99% of people who try on the N7000 vs N8000 feel better in the N8000 and the N8000 pulls your heel back more when you bake compared to the N7000.

Well, I found a pair of n9000s used a dozen times for $400 bucks.  The buyer will let me return them if I pay for the shipping both ways, so I'm going to give them a shot.     I'm hoping it'll be the end to my skate fit woes, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.  Now if only they used the same 296 runners that I have 2 sets of w/ custom profiles instead of the 288 runners :facepalm:

On 10/19/2017 at 5:50 PM, Hills said:

The N9000s in 10.5D seem like they might be the answer.  They pass the pencil test at the 3rd eyelet, barely feather my foot at the 4th (far better than any skate up to this point), toes barely touch the toecap standing up, bending my knees they back of and just barely don't touch the toecap.  After wearing them for about 20-30 mins my right foot still feels perfect.  The left foot feels a little tight in the forefoot width, just a little bit of pressure on the side of the ball of my feet (more noticeable on the inside edge).  It's noticeable enough that it does start to make that part of my foot go a little numb.  Laces are tied outside in, and I tried with both waxed and unwaxed laces.  

Is this something that will likely go away with a. bake (they have been previously baked, but not to my feet).  Can it be stretched?  I don't want to go back up a size, because I know that's going to be too long, and if I go wider, it's going to give me slop in the heel.  

Your heel should slide back a decent amount when you bake the N9000 that the tight area on the ball of your foot might pull back and not bother you anymore.

On 10/24/2017 at 6:04 PM, Vet88 said:

or take it to a LHS and get it stretched across the forefoot.

Finally got a chance to skate on them. I could skate with mild to moderate discomfort on the left foot (only at the forefoot), right foot felt great.  TINY bit of heel lift, but not enough to cause any blisters or anything, and I think working on how i'm lacing them up will resolve that.

Local shop (and I'm in ALABAMA, so I feel lucky that I have a decent enough shop to be able to do this) was able to stretch the forefoot a bit and it feels great.  I hate the profile of these LS3 runners compared to the 8/14 w/ minor forward pitch that Bob had done on my last skates, but that's an easy enough fix.  I didn't realize how much that radius and forward pitch made me more comfortable.  Hopefully this will have me set for a few years.  

I still think these things are ugly as hell, but if my feet are happy, I'm happy.  Thanks for all the advice fellas.  

23 hours ago, jpeaslee said:

Finally got a chance to skate on them. I could skate with mild to moderate discomfort on the left foot (only at the forefoot), right foot felt great.  TINY bit of heel lift, but not enough to cause any blisters or anything, and I think working on how i'm lacing them up will resolve that.

Local shop (and I'm in ALABAMA, so I feel lucky that I have a decent enough shop to be able to do this) was able to stretch the forefoot a bit and it feels great.  I hate the profile of these LS3 runners compared to the 8/14 w/ minor forward pitch that Bob had done on my last skates, but that's an easy enough fix.  I didn't realize how much that radius and forward pitch made me more comfortable.  Hopefully this will have me set for a few years.  

I still think these things are ugly as hell, but if my feet are happy, I'm happy.  Thanks for all the advice fellas.  

You could try some Superfeet inner soles. They may help reduce some of that excess volume in the heel as well give you some forward pitch. That way you don’t have to pitch your steel. 

Just a suggestion and it may require another baking.

9 hours ago, stick9 said:

You could try some Superfeet inner soles. They may help reduce some of that excess volume in the heel as well give you some forward pitch. That way you don’t have to pitch your steel. 

Just a suggestion and it may require another baking.

I have some that I can throw in and experiment with.  The problem I've had with superset in the past is that they don't give me enough arch support.  Still better than the factory insoles with regard to arch support, but still not quite enough.  The speed plates seem to help with that a bit.

I really don't know too much about boot shapes, but it sounds like you're racking up some shipping costs so I'm gonna offer an alternative: book a flight up north. 

Think of it, you're gonna find multiple stores stocked to the rafters, and if you learn how to book flights on the websites, you'll eventually find a flight cheap enough to make it worth it. I've had to do something similar recently and it worked quite well. Locate a cheap hotel and fly out when you have a couple of days off. 

It's another option. 

12 hours ago, Kobentino said:

I really don't know too much about boot shapes, but it sounds like you're racking up some shipping costs so I'm gonna offer an alternative: book a flight up north. 

Think of it, you're gonna find multiple stores stocked to the rafters, and if you learn how to book flights on the websites, you'll eventually find a flight cheap enough to make it worth it. I've had to do something similar recently and it worked quite well. Locate a cheap hotel and fly out when you have a couple of days off. 

It's another option. 

I thought about doing that. Ordering multiple skates at a time usually gets free shipping and with IW, I get free return shipping.  It looks like I've got everything sorted out with going to the Nexus, just fine tuning a few things.