Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XUHockey21

Alkali skate sizing

Is anyone familiar with how Alkali skates are sized? I'm looking to pick up the RPD Max+ online and would prefer to get the right size the first time. I'm currently using sz 9.5 '08 Mission Boss, and sz 10 Bauer x100 for ice. I'm leaning toward the 9.5, due to how heat moldable I hear they are. I haven't found a local store that has them in stock, which makes things a little more complicated, and hockey monkey doesn't cover return shipping. Thanks guys! 

They will fit a half size up from your Bauers so you will want a 10.5 Alkali. I fit size 6 in Bauer ice skates and 6.5 in Max+. The fit is laces out, toes feathering the toe cap, lean forward, about 2mm space at the back of the heel. Other team mates in size 8 and 9 fit the same profile, 1/2 a size up in alkali. The alkali thread has many posts about sizing.

I agree with Vet88 that the Alkali skates fit a half size up from Bauer skates,  but I would say the same thing about the old 08 Mission lineup. If the OP fits well in 9.5 08 Boss skates I would expect them to fit a 9.5 Alkali and a 9 Bauer. 

XU - do the size 10 X100 skates fit so your toes feather the cap? If you unlace them and push your foot all the way forward, how much room is behind your heel?

Althoma- in my x100s, I've got a finger at most if I push my toes all the way forward unlaced. I think I was between the 9.5 and 10s when I tried them on, and we went with the 10s to play it safe, give room for socks, etc. I currently wear socks with my Missions, but that's more out of necessity than preference. 

A full finger worth of room behind the heel is about 1cm or 1 size. I suspect you could actually squeeze into a size 9 length Bauer skate and perhaps you ended up going longer in the Vapors because they're narrow skates that compress the sides of your feet and elongate them. If you aren't getting heel lift and are playing fine in them then don't worry about it for now (they're longer than ideal), but when you next buy ice skates I'd start by trying on smaller sizes in various brands, models and widths. About 2-3mm of space at the heel (no more than the size of a stadard pencil or thin blue papermate pen) when your toes are pushed forward with the skates unlaced is a good fit for most adults, but personal preference does come in to  play. A full finger worth of room is definitely on the long side though. 

I wouldn't base the sizing on the X100's since it sounds like they're up to 1 size long. I'd recommend placing a piece of computer paper against the wall, putting your heel against the wall on the paper and then marking the longest point of your foot on the paper (usually where the big toe ends). Do this for both feet and then measure the length from the start of the paper to the points you've marked in cm or mm and post a reply here with those results. 

Alright, I ran into an issue, hahahaha. Using the "foot on the wall" method, my right foot is 27.3cm and my left is 27.6cm. Using InlineWarehouse's "foot on the floor" method, both my feet are about 29.2cm. Using InlineWarehouse's sizing chart, that creates a pretty big variance. I'll try the "foot on the floor" method again, just to make sure the pen is absolutely straight and not angled in either direction. Thanks again for taking the time with me. I really appreciate it!

Measuring again makes sense to double check (when tracing your foot, make sure to use the socks you skate with and not thicker socks. Also make sure you're not angling the pencil out around the heel. Having someone else do the tracing may help), however; I suspect the "foot on the wall" method is more accurate for your length based on the other information in this thread.

Some used to feel that the old Mission sizing was similar to shoe sizing; I personally disagree with that and think it was only about a half to one size up from Bauer sizing. Either way, if the old 9.5 Boss skates fit you properly then your Bauer size should definitely be smaller and not larger. You also indicated that if you pushed your foot forward in your current Bauer ice skates when they're unlaced then you have about 1 finger width of room - that's approximately 1 cm and 1cm is about 1 full size.

According to the IW sizing chart you're referencing, a size 10 Bauer is approximately 28.5cm long. Subtract 1cm and you have 27.5cm - that's pretty damn close to your 27.3cm and 27.6cm measurements. That information leads me to believe that the 9 Bauer size is your best bet lengthwise - other factors come into play like wide, depth, heel shape ect. when fitting skates of course. You might even squeeze into an 8.5, but would have to get at least the left skate stretched since that foot is longer. 

Now, the IW sizing chart suggests that Alkali and Bauer are the same lengthwise. There's plenty of sizing info in the Alkali thread and I've only tried on a pair once and have never used them, but from trying them on and what I've read here; I agree with Vet88 that for most people they'll go up a half size for Alkali vs Bauer. So if you should be a 9 lengthwise for Bauer then you'd be a 9.5 for Alkali...which is the size you were originally leaning toward anyway. If you're buying a high end model that can be stretched then going down a half a size and getting the left boot stretched could potentially also work. 

New skates are generally very tight before baking and break in; with some models (VH and Mako come to mind), you can't even get your foot into the proper size before baking (or might, but with GREAT difficulty). In a lot of cases, if you can fit into a new pair before baking with zero pressure then they're likely too big and may get sloppy after baking/breaking them in. Your foot will move around, you'll lose some performance and it could lead to other problems like blisters and bone spurs. If you're buying for performance, new skates shouldn't be as comfortable as worn in runners when you put them on before baking or break in, but can be after baking. 

Here's another page with sizing info. It doesn't list the Alkali skates as it's focused on ice hockey skates and is from 2011, but it's another source of information. The measurements for sizes are pretty similar to the IW page, they suggest a 10 Bauer is 28.6cm long...so it's within 1mm:

http://www.hockeytutorial.com/uncategorized/ice-hockey-skate-sizing-chart-width-and-length/

9.5 Alkali RPD Max+ on order. I don't know how they did it, but Hockey Monkey has ridiculous prices. I'll keep everyone updated. Thank you all again for all your time and effort in this process. It's much appreciated.