Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skate Mod

Skate Mod Introduction

After following this thread over the last few days, I have to finally admit I've been convinced to invest. The constant insults have beaten me down. And the tremendous display of unprofessional behaviour has shown me how fantastic an opportunity this is and what a treat it would be to be to bring such a upstanding individual into my life. A colonoscopy got nothing on this. Never mind that there's not solid reason to invest. I'm just going to give you money, well, just because. 

Here's my credit card number 1234 5678 9876 5432. and my name is Gull Ible. it's a Sbisa card the credit card of choice of Nigerian Princes. 

Leaving the 6th grade comments obsession aside, I'm impressed that the man with no name mentioned a handful of Bauer guys and left out Shocker. Jeez, how did that happen? 

So while you are able to read a roster, it seems that perhaps you missed the Bauer history of going public, internal problems and the rest I would prefer not to mention as having nothing to do with their current standing in the market place. Your understanding of the current Bauer situation is due entirely to their skate product line.  Ok, you can confirm that once again with another 2000 word answer to a  single question.   

Even Dorothy got to see that there wasn't a wizard behind the curtain.  

first of all, you're calling people like me a sixth grader because I'm not buying in to a hypothetical without much detail.

if you want to change the industry, by all means give it. as someone with a business degree as well as a sports business grad program degree, I know all about business plans. having been in the retail hockey industry for almost a decade at this point, safe to say I can truly have an opinion on what works and what doesn't.

You talk about knowing the steps. how about showing some facts and numbers from these independent studies that you've done. not to mention if your design is patented nobody can steal it anyways, right? 

instead of coming in here saying "give me 3 grand for shit skates that will eventually cost you more once we get there" without so much of a hint of what is going to help anybody, isn't going to convince many people.

and being condescending to some of the most knowledgeable and senior people on this board tends to not help either.

I am no skate expert but I have an advanced mind!

An owner that wants to win the cup for sure needs the following:

10 Duluth guys , 3 Superior guys, 3 Silver Bay guys , 2 guys from Thunder Bay and da rest from Warroad.  

Plus a truck load of new old stock Pure Flys. 

Skate Mod, another frustrated Russian engineer not getting any love from the motherland? So now you try to persuade Westerners that you have the ticket to skate shangri la. I'm surprised Putin and the  KHL turned down your offer for global skate supremacy. I thought hockey was Putin's favorite sport. Oh well, thanks for the Shark Tank Super Skate offer but I'm going to stick with the North American companies with over 200 years in skate engineering experience.

BTW, the "cheers" at the end of your diatribe was a nice touch to deflect any idea of your homeland. Nothing wrong with it mind you, just that Sherlock Holmes would easily recognize it as a false intention to divert attention to your history. No worries. Keep calm and skate on. 

This is getting better,

The fact that no one understands how patents are developed is understandable to me, this is not the right forum for this discussion; unless you spend enough time on the subject you would not be able grasp the full picture.

Filling for patents is costly to begin with, but not because of the filling cost or attorney fees for “Prior Art searches” it’s costly in the ideology that if you don’t spend enough money in hiring the right person with specific skill set to optimize your conceptual design to it’s fullest potential, and actually test it, everything that you worked for, the time, the money you invested in both development, prototyping and IP filling will be wasted because your competitor with an existing structure of R&D will quickly capitalize on your mistake. So to get to the point of having a solid functional prototype and a solid patent requires a lot of money in the first place. It’s the chicken or the egg as I pointed out in my intro.

I’ve spend months looking for companies, interacting with these companies on what are they good at and their specific skills, what are they not good at, figuring out who has too broad of a discipline to handle the task and they cater to too many industries, who has too narrow of a discipline on a certain subject matter and they solve problems that are too narrow of a discipline, interacting with people with specific skill set and how would they apply it my conceptual design and how would they solve my specific problems, based on my understanding of the full history of skate designs in the past 20 years and my direction on telling them this line is patented we should avoid that, this line or curve we can use and we can also improve on that as well.

As I go back to the QuikHodler weak design and weak patent vs Edge Holder where they quickly capitalized on it.  For a anyone that wants to get into development of a skate at the very minimum that person must know the history of what was tried before, what worked, what didn’t work, understand it from both engineering point of view, Patent Filling point of view, cost of production point of view. That’s the bare minimum, and that’s why very few people can do it, it would take years to learn it, which is what I tried to do over the years and not just skates, orthotic industry, shoe industry and anything else that relates to biomechanics and can be applied to the subject matter. Go back to some of my other post on other subjects and focus on the technical aspect, which is what the skate development requires the most.

The fact that you are dismissive of Mission Hockey and it’s history where one very smart person started a company and quickly grew it by himself to a point where Bauer had to buy it for 23 million dollars and later implement some of his patents into their newer designs all the way up to 1X inspiration, and the fact that he did not have the firepower of Bauer or full R&D division yet was able to be very competitive, shows your lack of understanding the subject matter from all angles and how old things can impact new things, and how I would take the same approach of not being fixated on having to narrow of a vision and dismiss older things and only focus on things that can be patented while it might not be as good as an old design feature.

Regardless what you think of Russian, no one on this planet ever questioned Russians as being poor at engineering or lacking intelligence in advanced product design, development of smart ideas or being very poor at hockey which also is an important element if we are talking about hockey skate development and understanding the game from pure biomechanical point of view.

The devil is the details, so I knew I had a big task of convincing people on this forum to go along with it. Details that someone wants to patent in the future are always kept extremely close to the vest, that’s why there confidentiality agreements when an inventor hires a company or an individual for product development. That’s why there are 30 million dollar lawsuits over ideas that were disclosed publicly before they were patented.

I am also starting to understand why there is a big Fan club of VH developing here, because of lack of knowledge on the subject matter from all angles.

As one successful Venture Capitalist once told me, Boris never cater your strategy towards smart people, always cater to the lowest common denominator, you’ll have a much greater chance of success, I did not listen to him, maybe it was a mistake.

Maybe I should have been less honest from the start pretending how I like existing products and their design, and strategy, slowly developing trust on this forum as being part of the club, when in reality being a pretender.

When I planted a big tree here I hoped that there will be less people picking the lowest hanging fruit and go for higher ones. With questions more aimed at understanding the dilemma, not my personal one but the dilemma of the industry and why its shrinking, trying to figure out what is in our control and what is out of our control, how to save it from shirking, and how to preserve our sport yet also not being too naïve about the approach of publishing designs on public forums yet figuring out what it would take to make the change.

The goal is very simple to create a product that increases participation. Or to be more accurate to create what the Automatic Transmission did for the Auto industry, where people that had money to spend chose not to buy a car and drive because of their poor driving skill level. Only in our case we need a skate that anyone with poor biology and poor technique can still use it, enjoy it and not give up on the sport too early. This can only happen by changing the strategy of how skates are developed from ground up, how they are produced and whom are they catered too as far as target market. This does not mean a cheap skate or an expensive skate, a skate for NHL player or a skate for a beginner, it simply means a skate for a person with weak ankles, that person could fall into any category including NHL, where there are more then enough players that tape their tendon guards because of poor ankle strength and lack of efficient lateral support from the current mass produced skates, and that’s because of production methods that are used are very liming in changing that boot geometry. The production methods are aimed at saving cost and maximizing profits. That means they will only change their strategy if someone else will prove a different business model with at least 20% market share.

People hate change, and will always hate change, because very few are brave enough or willing put themselves out there on the line like me, not being afraid to fail, not caring if you get criticized, not being afraid if you get laughed at. We fall into two types of categories, either we fail because we could not find enough people to relate to us, or we go right to the top, there is no in between in playing it safe.

So haters will always be haters, because they are not brave enough to take gambles on their own, yet they don’t want others to succeed either because they don’t want to be left behind, it’s all about being part of the club and not being outside the club.

So I’m trying to create a new club.

Discussing specific skate details is a useless exercise at this point, discussion broader ideas or the business side of skate development; I’m more open to that idea in case there are questions or concerns or even curiosity on the subject matter.

Boris

P.S. My homeland is Canada, if we go by comfort level metrics.

I don't want to contribute too much to this dumpster fire, I'm just gonna point out that even if someone was interested in your business ideas, your response to criticism and discussion is probably sufficiently offputting for them to steer clear.

"Trust me, I know important people and I have great ideas, I am way better than everyone else and if you question me, you're an idiot" is such a weird way to introduce yourself to a community that you're hoping will support you.

I love my VH/True skates and am 100% happy with them, I don't really give a shit about anything else anyone has to say about them.

It's amazing that hockey has survived for over 100 years in such crappy skates.  

At this point I would be more interested in hearing from the companies that turned Boris away.  

32 minutes ago, DarkStar50 said:

It's amazing that hockey has survived for over 100 years in such crappy skates.  

At this point I would be more interested in hearing from the companies that turned Boris away.  

I can't imagine any reason why he would have been turned away! Must be because they don't know how to read a patent. 

Sorry man, you didn't plant a tree here, you walked into someone else's house and took a fat dump in their living room. And once you were done with that, you asked them to pay you for delivering fertilizer. 

And now you continue to ask those same people, who's living room you took a dump in, for money to start your own fertilizer business. 

1 minute ago, puckpilot said:

Sorry man, you didn't plant a tree here, you walked into someone else's house and took a fat dump in their living room. And once you were done with that, you asked them to pay you for delivering fertilizer. 

And now you continue to ask those same people, who's living room you took a dump in, for money to start your own fertilizer business. 

To be fair, it is a giant pile of fertilizer...

All I'm going to say is, I actually agree with a lot of what this dude says (but not all).

BUT.  I think you've pissed away any opportunity for a cogent discussion with your approach, meandering screeds, and shit talking.  It's a shame.

36 minutes ago, nutters said:

The more this goes on the more I want to get some VH/True skates

Mmm. Delicious, well engineered, custom fit.

32 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

Mmm. Delicious, well engineered, custom fit.

that or $500 on some X5.0s modified with a blowtorch, faux leather and super glue. Is this what he's proposing? I don't come here to read short stories 

8 minutes ago, nutters said:

that or $500 on some X5.0s modified with a blowtorch, faux leather and super glue. Is this what he's proposing? I don't come here to read short stories 

I think so, mixed in with bashing the skate manufacturers. 

33 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

I think so, mixed in with bashing the skate manufacturers. 

Without giving any sort of accreditation to his capabilities in engineering or design, he had quite a few valid points about manufacturers and their deficiencies. 

But a lot of that has been lost because of what this thread has devolved into.

Boris,

Just for you I will speak to a couple guys I know when I work an up coming game. Although I doubt Igor Larionov whom I scanned last year or Pavel Bure would want to give up there VH skates. Now I could ask Igor to get in touch with Rustam Minnikhanov whom I also fitted for skates but I'm thinking the 2 pairs he ordered are still working because the last time the Secret Service guy called he just wanted black steel. Now I could ask any of the other guys there not in VH skates that have to do with hockey equipment when I am on the bench. However, I really feel its not the time or the place. But if any of them ask me whats new and interesting in hockey I will be sure to bring your name up and tell them all about the 500 dollar Venture you have going. 

Yah, I forgot I don't have any credibility so never mind I won't say anything.

8 hours ago, Skate Mod said:

The fact that no one understands how patents are developed is understandable to me, this is not the right forum for this discussion; unless you spend enough time on the subject you would not be able grasp the full picture.

Well actually, my name is on some patents. But then again, I ACTUALLY have a couple of engineering degrees. Now, fortunately, I work for a company that is willing to fork out the many tens of thousands of dollars required to bring a patent to fruition instead of paying for it myself however, it's only fair that they pay for it since they will get the vast majority of the profit from it. But I did have to come up with the detailed work that goes into the patent filing (it's filing not filling) so I grasp full well the full picture. Pretty condescending of you to take shots at people's intelligence just because they don't agree with you. I also find it pretty amusing that a person so interested in protecting IP would have offered...
"will U/l Spark 2.0, Reaktor 3.0 but needs a serial also Nuendo for Mac needs a serial and other audio stuff -only need the reason sound bank which is huge"

I have never used Spark or Nuendo but I own (as in paid for) Reaktor and Reason and just as an example from the Native Instruments license agreement...

"Licensee is not entitled to copy or have copied, decompile or have decompiled, reverse engineer or have reverse engineered the Product or parts thereof." 

BTW... I have the Reason soundbank. I'm not giving it to you. But hey, that was 16 years ago. I'm sure your character has changed since then.