Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goodguy

HELP - dilemma Need Mako II size 9-9.5 or options

Does anyone have any sources for either full on Mako II’s, CXN Holders in Size 9.0-9.5....? 

Heres my dilemma:

16UAAA son has been skating Mako’s pretty much since they came out (v1 and now V2)... has always been very fast and agile in them. Current Mako 2’s cracking along bottom so I have patched them up with epoxy/fiberglass and it has worked (for now)...

So I bought him a pair of VH/True with the LS tuck holders and he has lost the agility, speed he had with the Makos... this is not a criticism of VH/True.. they are awesome skates but just not getting the same performance as Mako’s (maybe some tweaks)... 

He has been skating the VH skates for 4 weeks and still nowhere near the agility of the makos. Thinking he had just lost the ability, convinced him to wear the Makos again for a game and WOW .. back to his old self and completely different than in the True’s ... Fast, agile, etc... 

So now I am in a dilemma.. the Makos are obviously superior for him but a I can’t find them.. so maybe CXN holders and some real specific profiling on the VH/Trues... get a much more flexible tendon guard..etc... the VH skates are much stiffer. 

Any ideas? Normally I would just say get used to the equipment but this is draft year with scouts watching and the difference was night and day... he was known for his speed and agility but with the CH skates people were saying “is he hurt?... what’s wrong with his skating” (in the VH skates) to “holy cow - he is back” in the Makos.. (others, coaches, immediately noticed...)

I know the Makos are much less stiff and more flexible, etc but do you think Incan make the VH skates closer in performance to his Makos (agressive pitch, what holders, etc ) can’t find both CXN holders in his size 9-9.5... 

could it it be as simple as pitch - or are there other options out there? Thanks 

Son said the Makos felt like cheap sneakers (but great) where he tried them after skating the Trues for a month - the Trues felt like wearing combat boots on the ice by comparison... lol  Any ideas? 

When my Mako 2s need to be put on the shelf, then I will have the same issue (minus the scouts; so figure me as your kid's agent if this theory works out for him- I think 10% is fair for his future millions).

I have been considering which skate would give me the freedom that I have been enjoying, which the Makos have lent. Thought about True/ VH, but sounds like they are not for me, based on your quick review. The Verbero Cypress Pro + Custom (1st carbon fiber holders) looks interesting, but I think the launch is not for awhile, and I cannot see dropping $900 on skates.

If I were in a pinch (as your kid seems to be), then I would likely find something in the CCM or Bauer family that works, figuring that the mid to high-mid range (perhaps the Tech-Mesh in Vapor 600-800 models?) will offer the flexibility of Mako. I would just try on everything in store, and then pick the one that my feet feel at home in. I would guess that Nexus would be out, but the other 5 families (Tacks, Jetspeed, Ribcor, Vapor, Supreme), I would give an honest try to. Then, I will get myself some Bladetech steel (similar to MarsBlade, but without having to rivet new holders), and figure to be tearing it up without missing a step:

https://www.bladetechhockey.ca/technology

https://www.bladetechhockey.ca/online-store

33 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

When my Mako 2s need to be put on the shelf, then I will have the same issue (minus the scouts; so figure me as your kid's agent if this theory works out for him- I think 10% is fair for his future millions).

I have been considering which skate would give me the freedom that I have been enjoying, which the Makos have lent. Thought about True/ VH, but sounds like they are not for me, based on your quick review. The Verbero Cypress Pro + Custom (1st carbon fiber holders) looks interesting, but I think the launch is not for awhile, and I cannot see dropping $900 on skates.

If I were in a pinch (as your kid seems to be), then I would likely find something in the CCM or Bauer family that works, figuring that the mid to high-mid range (perhaps the Tech-Mesh in Vapor 600-800 models?) will offer the flexibility of Mako. I would just try on everything in store, and then pick the one that my feet feel at home in. I would guess that Nexus would be out, but the other 5 families (Tacks, Jetspeed, Ribcor, Vapor, Supreme), I would give an honest try to. Then, I will get myself some Bladetech steel (similar to MarsBlade, but without having to rivet new holders), and figure to be tearing it up without missing a step:

https://www.bladetechhockey.ca/technology

https://www.bladetechhockey.ca/online-store

Hold on, you’re not considering VH because of one review?

8 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Hold on, you’re not considering VH because of one review?

Well sure, I am still considering it, but I think the cost will steer me away ultimately, coupled with this review and a couple others. Sure, I am a sucker for the latest and greatest and spend too much on gear, but to put it in perspective, I bought the Mako M8s that I am in now for like $200 - 30% off or something like that on a Monkey Special Day. And I love these skates. So, next pair will be a similar deal. 9 month old, mid to high level skates that were $600 at launch, that I will grab for $200. (Sticks too, I am yet to buy a top-of-the-line, and it is not due to my lack of trying new sticks.)

I also saw another Mako/ VH enthusiast (the HockeyTutorial kid) insist that he preferred the Ribcor 68/70K, over his VHs (which I think he preferred over his Makos). 

Kinda also hoping that Dave Cruikshank resurfaces between now and whenever my M8s start to fail, and continues his work either with Bauer or wherever, and that will guide me into my next skate.

I would expand your search to include the M8 and M7. They use the same holders and steel and last. I made a post that details the key differences in the Mako thread: 

I used to wear Makos and loved them (except for the lack of protection and SOMETIMES I felt like they could have used a little bit more lateral stiffness). I went to VH and now True after my Mako boots started cracking at the toe. My son still wears Makos. On my first pair of VH/True I had CXN holders put on them because I loved the forward pitch of the Makos. On my current pair I had them build a +3 forward pitch into the skate because I was putting Edge holders on them. +3 might have been a tad too much forward pitch but I still love them. If I was doing it again though I might tell them to do +2. You can get the forward pitch in the skates either through a shim in the heel between the holder and the boot, or by a quality profiling at the LHS. I may have a pair of my son's old Makos at home that might be 9-9.5. I can check if you are still looking.

Update:

Met a skate pro in MN who was a huge Mako guy (now skating Trues.. thanks Tony) - Insists the True can mimic the Mako feel mostly with the right pitch.

So gonna try to get the correct pitch (maybe lifts as JR says) -or- might just go to a CXN holder (+2) and get the steel (+1) on the VH Skates.

Also gonna see if I can go to a simple 9 radius - now that I think about it, I believe the profiler did a 9 - 10 compound radius - could that be a big part of the problem?    

Wondering if the LS holder can do the same thing by really adjusting only the steel (or will I run into too little steel at the toe and boot out issues, etc) or is there something about having the correct holder pitch that makes it more exact?.

Just trying to eliminate variables. Am I overthinking this...lol

Thanks so much or the help .

1 hour ago, goodguy said:

Update:

Met a skate pro in MN who was a huge Mako guy (now skating Trues.. thanks Tony) - Insists the True can mimic the Mako feel mostly with the right pitch.

So gonna try to get the correct pitch (maybe lifts as JR says) -or- might just go to a CXN holder (+2) and get the steel (+1) on the VH Skates.

Also gonna see if I can go to a simple 9 radius - now that I think about it, I believe the profiler did a 9 - 10 compound radius - could that be a big part of the problem?    

Wondering if the LS holder can do the same thing by really adjusting only the steel (or will I run into too little steel at the toe and boot out issues, etc) or is there something about having the correct holder pitch that makes it more exact?.

Just trying to eliminate variables. Am I overthinking this...lol

Thanks so much or the help .

Honestly out of all the options above, I'd go with the lifts. It's the easiest to undo, and you don't have to buy holders or steel. 

BTW - I'm a former Mako user now in VH, but I had the Mako pitch profiled out of my steel so I wasn't on my toes as much. The VH are goalie skates as well so I can't really comment on switching from one to the other as a skater, but can definitely say it was a massive upgrade in boot comfort (and Mako was already pretty damn good!)

I moved from the Easton Mako/Mako II to the VH myself, and initially also found major adjustment period.  Due to three things:

- Tendon Guard, which I adjusted to, but also took the time to flex my tendon guards by hand a few times just to soften them up a bit.
- Negative space in the Toe Box, which was fixed with a set of Powerfoot Foam Inserts
- Pitch: I went with Tuuk Edge holders, so the pitch was off.  VH built in a 1/8" heel lift (size 5.5 boot) and I profiled my steel to a +1 9-foot Radius.  I am currently in a Quad 0.5 Radius.

I'm not sure (I'm sure someone else here could say) but I think LS3 and LS4 (don't know if that's what you have) have more meat in the heel and toe like the step runners do. I always felt less agile in runners that had extra steel in the heel and toe over the more "traditional" ones. It tended to make transitions harder for me and would trip me up some.

For the guys who switched from makos to true.  How much stiffer are true skates?  How long did it take to make the transition?  Did you feel it improved any part of your skating?  Do you feel it made you any worse?  

Does anyone think Bauer will implement a skate similar to the makos?

3 hours ago, SILVER82 said:

For the guys who switched from makos to true.  How much stiffer are true skates?  How long did it take to make the transition?  Did you feel it improved any part of your skating?  Do you feel it made you any worse?  

Does anyone think Bauer will implement a skate similar to the makos?

I didn't notice any difference other than an even better fit. No downside other than slightly harder to get on and off. Probably the wrong thread for this question regardless.