Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimizk

Anyone here who have used Blademaster BSG1 blade straightener?

ZqSdO3d.jpg

Does anyone here who have an experience that used Blademaster's new blade straightener, BSG1?
I already have a traditional blade straightener (No diameter and can't use with boots) though, I'm going to consider buying BSG1 if it is very useful. Is it able to straighten blades quickly? I don't mind whether it can be used with boots or only runner. I want to place importance to time saving and precision of the work.

Some stock steel just comes bent, I won't delve into who but they are generally well known. I wish I had one of these or something similar as I have broken a couple of blades trying to straighten them so they would sit straight in the holder and / or I could sharpen them correctly. 

10 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I have no experience with it, but if you’re bending blades often enough to consider your own bender, maybe there’s a bigger problem with the holders?

I don't have conclusive proof though, skate blades are often get impact which can make blades bend when we playing ice hockey. Crash or receive the puck with leg (skate) is one of that.
Also one of the reason why I wan to try getting better "straighten easily environment" is that I usually sharpen skates with only blade runner. I put blades off from boots. So blades go back to its natural condition. If there is a bended blade, perhaps it can be keep almost straight form with holder. But I need just a blade's flat precision.

4 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Some stock steel just comes bent, I won't delve into who but they are generally well known. I wish I had one of these or something similar as I have broken a couple of blades trying to straighten them so they would sit straight in the holder and / or I could sharpen them correctly. 

Yeah I've faced exactly that too. I checked my stock holders. I noticed that they have more bend than my current using blades.

Yesterday I tried to straighten my current blades with traditional bender. But it only made too slightly and slow progress. If anything, I want to say there was no progress. Especially new blades (Step's V-steel) were so difficult to make bend it. Finally I left it 30 minutes with continuing put it on the bender in desperation. But I couldn't find progress.

1 hour ago, Mimizk said:

Yesterday I tried to straighten my current blades with traditional bender. But it only made too slightly and slow progress. If anything, I want to say there was no progress. Especially new blades (Step's V-steel) were so difficult to make bend it. Finally I left it 30 minutes with continuing put it on the bender in desperation. But I couldn't find progress.

I have used heat to good effect. I bent the blade over a cylinder and used steel clamps to hold it down, heated the blade up with a portable blow torch then let it cool. You need to be very careful with heat and time or else you can over bend the blade the other way. Also doesn't work well with coated blades, they don't like the heat lol.

10 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

I have used heat to good effect. I bent the blade over a cylinder and used steel clamps to hold it down, heated the blade up with a portable blow torch then let it cool. You need to be very careful with heat and time or else you can over bend the blade the other way. Also doesn't work well with coated blades, they don't like the heat lol.

Of course I can understand that it would go better to use heating. But how do you think about its effect as annealing? Tydan or Step... current "premium" replacement blades are made from premium material and high quality quenching. Hockey shop sharpener person often take it carefully as it doesn't cause annealing when sharpening or contouring.
So I feel little resistance to do it. But this can be said as that we can't bend current hardened stainless steel runners without heating? As I already wrote, I tried to leave a new V-steel blade putting on bender for 30 minutes. I couldn't find any progress. I thought I will not be able to any progress either if I will try to use bender again and again.

In my experience, 99% of curved blades are from the mounting of the holder, not the steel. I wouldn't waste your money on the blade straightener. Take the steel out of the holder and check it against a flat surface first.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

In my experience, 99% of curved blades are from the mounting of the holder, not the steel. I wouldn't waste your money on the blade straightener. Take the steel out of the holder and check it against a flat surface first.

26309586749_a04b73c42e_b.jpg

38033117056_6e21fea9be_b.jpg

The thing under the blade is high precision metal ruler. The first picture is a fact.
Probably you didn't know that though, almost skate runners are bent even if it is new. These picture's skate blade is also a new Step V-Steel.

23 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

Pree heat your oven to 300 .at 300 turn the oven off and put the skate in on a cookie sheet.  Let the metal cool in the oven  . Are you sure the blade is bent? How was it determine the blade is bent

Really can it be keep its composition as high quality stainless knife steel? I fear it. There are sensitive temperature control technique for these steel, for example quenching, annealing, normalizing... especially such a stainless steel like SUS440A include Martensite. So it will start to change its composition from 100 degrees celsius. I want to hear Step's opinion though...

That's why it says in my experience. I am only telling you about my experience. Obviously there are runners that are out of true. It just seems like the vast majority of curved skate blades are due to a poor mounting job and not the steel itself.

In my experience, even when the blade itself has a small uniform bend like in your picture, it conforms to the shape of the holder once it's installed in it. A small sharp localized bend or kink would be another story.

Do both skates have bent steel when the blades are in the holder? In other words, if you switch the blades to the opposite skates, does the bend follow the blade or does it stay with the holder? Obviously if the blades are like this )) or like this (( switching them would not reveal much. But if they are like this () and switching them makes them like this )( or vice versa, that would mean that the blades are bent. If they are like this () and remain like this () after switching, or if they're like this )( and remain like this )( after switching, then the holders are bent. Or if only one is bent and the other one is straight, you can still do the same test. I think you get the picture.

23 hours ago, Mimizk said:

26309586749_a04b73c42e_b.jpg

38033117056_6e21fea9be_b.jpg

The thing under the blade is high precision metal ruler. The first picture is a fact.
Probably you didn't know that though, almost skate runners are bent even if it is new. These picture's skate blade is also a new Step V-Steel.

Really can it be keep its composition as high quality stainless knife steel? I fear it. There are sensitive temperature control technique for these steel, for example quenching, annealing, normalizing... especially such a stainless steel like SUS440A include Martensite. So it will start to change its composition from 100 degrees celsius. I want to hear Step's opinion though...

You have to check your ruler as well. Sometimes this kind has a not so straight edge. Flip that blade over and see if you get the same picture.

300F comes from a temperature at which the stress-revealing in 440A stainless steel starts to occur. This temp is too low to cause any hardness changes. 

On 2017/11/13 at 9:14 AM, Jason said:

That's why it says in my experience. I am only telling you about my experience. Obviously there are runners that are out of true. It just seems like the vast majority of curved skate blades are due to a poor mounting job and not the steel itself.

I don't know your experience so I can't talk anymore. At least I've never heard an opinion as you said. I've been thinking that all of skate runners would be delivered in bent condition, not straight because the companies that producing skate runners don't do such process (Definitely there is thickness control process though). I was surprised that there is a location where can get new runner in such great condition. Thank you for your information. There is a possibility that finally I ask you to get a pair instead of me.

On 2017/11/13 at 10:13 AM, Larry54 said:

In my experience, even when the blade itself has a small uniform bend like in your picture, it conforms to the shape of the holder once it's installed in it. A small sharp localized bend or kink would be another story.

At first, I have to say the reason why I want to correct my blades' flatness. That's because I want to sharpen it only blade runner. Of course I know probably these runners can be correct by skate holder if sharpen it with skate boots as traditionally. But I want to create an environment that I can achieve good result if I sharpen blade only.

So in this case I don't question that the skate blade condition, bent or straight after attached to skate boots.

4 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

You have to check your ruler as well. Sometimes this kind has a not so straight edge. Flip that blade over and see if you get the same picture.

I've wrote that "high precision metal ruler". I don't know well about politic name of that in English though, this ruler was made under 0.014mm precision of straightness. I've never fall it. Don't worry about its precision.

4 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

300F comes from a temperature at which the stress-revealing in 440A stainless steel starts to occur. This temp is too low to cause any hardness changes. 

This is very good information for me. Thank you! I will try this.