Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GQRDY

Shingaurd Depth

I'm looking for a little help with Shingaurds fit.

My CCM U+ CL are falling apart and despite looking everywhere I cannot find a pair of CCM U+ CL or RBZ in my size.

So I'm looking for a new pair but I'm a bit confused about the fit and depth.

I have tried on the Bauer 1X and Warrior Alpha.they seem to sort of more sit on the front of my leg then wrap around my leg properly.Sort of like the back part of my leg is completly uncovered.With the alpha Shingaurds the calf strap only just reached the velcro and is very tight and uncomfortable.

I also managed to try on the Dynasty HD1 the pad is a bit bigger/bulkier, but my leg seems to sit a lot deeper in the pad and it wraps all the way round so there is hardly any gap at the back.

Are these just two diffrent styles of fit, or are the 1X/Alphas to shallow for my legs and would be better going for the HD1's?

I had the same issue when getting new shins. I ended up with the CCM Tacks 7092's because they wrapped around my leg better and had a deeper channel for my shin to sit in. They felt more natural compared to the Alpha's and the Vapors because of what you said, it felt as though they sat on top of your leg, rather than wrapping around it. You can check out my review of the Tacks shins below. I think the HD1's would be similar, but I wasn't able to find any to try on.

20 minutes ago, darkhors said:

I had the same issue when getting new shins. I ended up with the CCM Tacks 7092's because they wrapped around my leg better and had a deeper channel for my shin to sit in. They felt more natural compared to the Alpha's and the Vapors because of what you said, it felt as though they sat on top of your leg, rather than wrapping around it. You can check out my review of the Tacks shins below. I think the HD1's would be similar, but I wasn't able to find any to try on.

Yeah I seem to be having the same problems that you did looking at your review.I have tried on a pair of tacks before but I'm not keen on the straps that go right behind the knee.Why I went with the warrior's plus the HD1 are on clearance right now :)

I don't have like massive calf's but they are more short and stocky then long and thin.

Do your pads still fit well know, having them wrap all the way round hasn't caused them to be loose and rotate or anything?

I chose my shin guards according to depth. For length, it was enough even only 12~13" for me. But I chose 14 or 15" shin guards for the depth and after buying I cut it down to suitable length for me at local shop.

Of course almost people want to choose easy way. So if there are shin guards which have both suitable length and depth for you, maybe it's the best situation. In my case, if I decided to choose my shin guards like that, probably I had only 1~2 choice. I wanted to choose it from not limited choices.

I bought a pair of Bauer Vapor shin guards. There are three straps. The top and bottom straps fit fine but the middle one that goes over the calf with the calf guard was short and so it clamped down too much. I ended up removing the velcro from the middle elastic strap, sewing on fabric of the same width as the elastic to the existing one and then sewing the velcro strap back onto the fabric. This extended the strap by an extra inch and made it fit comfortable but tight.

The Bauers came in 13" and CCM/Rbk only go down to 14".

Sounds like you and I prefer a similar fit. I’ve always worn the Supreme line, then moved on to HD1’s. Liked the Warriors so much I got into a second pair. Very happy with them. 

Otherwise 1S or S190 would be worth trying on

18 hours ago, GQRDY said:

Yeah I seem to be having the same problems that you did looking at your review.I have tried on a pair of tacks before but I'm not keen on the straps that go right behind the knee.Why I went with the warrior's plus the HD1 are on clearance right now :)

I don't have like massive calf's but they are more short and stocky then long and thin.

Do your pads still fit well know, having them wrap all the way round hasn't caused them to be loose and rotate or anything?

My tacks fit really well and now that I've worn them a bit, they're starting to break in nicely. The calf wrap is perfect and holds snug to my leg, but not too tight and the strap that goes behind my knee is super comfortable. The material they use is like spandex, so it's nice and soft and also a little stretchy so you can pull it tighter if you want and it doesn't feel restrictive. I'm still very happy with my decision and I think as I continue to play in them, they're only going to get more comfortable. They don't rotate on my legs unless I physically move them, but I also don't use ANY tape. I just strap them up and put on my socks. I think if you're someone that tapes your shins, you're definitely not going to have any issues with them moving.

2 hours ago, darkhors said:

My tacks fit really well and now that I've worn them a bit, they're starting to break in nicely. The calf wrap is perfect and holds snug to my leg, but not too tight and the strap that goes behind my knee is super comfortable. The material they use is like spandex, so it's nice and soft and also a little stretchy so you can pull it tighter if you want and it doesn't feel restrictive. I'm still very happy with my decision and I think as I continue to play in them, they're only going to get more comfortable. They don't rotate on my legs unless I physically move them, but I also don't use ANY tape. I just strap them up and put on my socks. I think if you're someone that tapes your shins, you're definitely not going to have any issues with them moving.

My experience with the Super Tacks shins has been similar. By far the most comfortable shin pad I have ever worn.

@GQRDY you can check my LTR if you want more info.

I laugh at darkhors post about not using tape. I forgot tape today with my Ultra Tacks shins and Edge socks, and I didn't notice until 45 minutes into the skate. Interestingly enough I really liked it without the tape. I was using clear tape right under my knee. By far best shin pads I've ever had, and that includes comparing to some pro stocks (20K, 19K).

19 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Sounds like you and I prefer a similar fit. I’ve always worn the Supreme line, then moved on to HD1’s. Liked the Warriors so much I got into a second pair. Very happy with them. 

Otherwise 1S or S190 would be worth trying on

Sounds like it, i did actual try on a pair of 1S in the summer just after they were released they felt stupidly wide.

18 hours ago, darkhors said:

Thanks for the update, i used to tape my shins up a lot and really tight.but now i just use those shin sleeves they keep the whole shinguard tight from bottom up to under the knee, even if they are a bit of a pain to get on sometimes.

16 hours ago, stick9 said:

My experience with the Super Tacks shins has been similar. By far the most comfortable shin pad I have ever worn.

@GQRDY you can check my LTR if you want more info.

I will have a look thanks.

So is the shinguard supposed to wrap completely round my leg so there is no gap at the back or should there be a little bit of a gap?

Depends on the pad and the users leg. Ideally you’d them to wrap completely around with almost no gap at all. But keep in mind, a pad like that may seem bulky.

I have tree trunk calves and need a deep shin guard.  The only thing that wrapped nicely was the Supreme S190

5 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Depends on the pad and the users leg. Ideally you’d them to wrap completely around with almost no gap at all. But keep in mind, a pad like that may seem bulky.

yeah that's what i seem to find,I don't really want a bulky shinguard.I have narrowed it down to the Alpha QX or HD1, i like the strapping system no strap right behind the knee.

The HD1 is really bulky but the shinguard wraps where it almost touches at the back.

The QX is a bit slimmer but there is a bit more of a gap at the back, it is still pretty close to touching.

I presume when the pad breaks in the wrap will get a bit better?

Yeah it should, but I would bank on a marked improvement. I consider calf wrap a nice feature, not a must have. Fit and function are far more important to me. 

9 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Yeah it should, but I would bank on a marked improvement. I consider calf wrap a nice feature, not a must have. Fit and function are far more important to me. 

Cool thanks, suppose il have to make a decision at some point, might try wearing them around the house.

My son had the RBZ and hated the new QLT line when he tried it on.  Tried a few brands on but settled on the 7092.  He absolutely loves the fit, wrap and protection.  I asked him about the bulk but he said it doesn't bother him because they are so comfortable.  His calves are decent size but aren't huge by any stretch.  The 7092 gave him the best wrap other than the Nexus which really was too deep and he said not as comfortable.  The Alpha's get pretty narrow at the bottom and he just didn't like the fit of the Vapor.  He really likes the mesh strap under the knee on the 7092.  Says it's really comfortable.  He doesn't tape and has no issues with it moving.  CCM does a nice job with the Tacks protective line.  It's not the lightest but if just seems to fit really well, at least for him.  He just got new 7092 shoulders also, coming from the prior tacks line so the transition was seamless.

21 minutes ago, stljrs said:

My son had the RBZ and hated the new QLT line when he tried it on.  Tried a few brands on but settled on the 7092.  He absolutely loves the fit, wrap and protection.  I asked him about the bulk but he said it doesn't bother him because they are so comfortable.  His calves are decent size but aren't huge by any stretch.  The 7092 gave him the best wrap other than the Nexus which really was too deep and he said not as comfortable.  The Alpha's get pretty narrow at the bottom and he just didn't like the fit of the Vapor.  He really likes the mesh strap under the knee on the 7092.  Says it's really comfortable.  He doesn't tape and has no issues with it moving.  CCM does a nice job with the Tacks protective line.  It's not the lightest but if just seems to fit really well, at least for him.  He just got new 7092 shoulders also, coming from the prior tacks line so the transition was seamless.

How has he liked the shoulders? I was thinking of going with the 7092's in the shoulders as well. I tried them on at the store and I really liked how comfortable they felt. They didn't feel big and the should caps seemed to be pretty low profile, which I really liked. 

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

I'm the opposite when it comes to calf wrap. For me it's a necessity. I've taken so many sticks to the back of the legs that I need to have a pad that wraps almost all the way. I'm ok with maybe like an inch or so of gap, but the QX's had basically zero wrap around the back. I just had the strap across my calf and that was it. 

Surprisingly, as I mentioned in the review, they don't feel heavy to me at all. We'll see in another month or two, but I suspect my view won't change much.

3 hours ago, darkhors said:

How has he liked the shoulders? I was thinking of going with the 7092's in the shoulders as well. I tried them on at the store and I really liked how comfortable they felt. They didn't feel big and the should caps seemed to be pretty low profile, which I really liked. 

He really likes the 7092.  The caps give very good coverage without being overly bulky and the 7092 D30Lite foam to me feels softer and and more forgiving than the plain D30 in the Super model.  Check the orange foams in the shoulder and you'll see what I mean.  Besides the fit, I think what he really likes the best is how mobile the shoulder caps are.  He noticed that right away.  He said it didn't restrict his movement at all.  No break in time at all.  If they fit you, you will probably love them even though again they aren't the lightest.  Come to think of it, he liked the mobility of the 7092 shins from day one also.

14 hours ago, darkhors said:

I have Super Tacks shoulders, Super Tacks elbows, Ultra Tacks elbows (long version), and Ultra Tacks pro shins. Honestly, the CCM Tacks line is amazing for someone who plays somewhat physical or for defensemen. I play D, so I end up in the way of shots fairly often. I also play in two somewhat physical men's leagues, and I don't feel a thing with the Tacks protective. I have put my Super Tacks shoulders in my closet for my old RBZ 110 shoulders, only because they were a bit of overkill for me. But if you play in a checking league, or want the best protection out there (IMHO), take a look at the ST. I had no issues with weight or mobility.

On 11/4/2017 at 1:41 AM, FlyChicaga said:

I have Super Tacks shoulders, Super Tacks elbows, Ultra Tacks elbows (long version), and Ultra Tacks pro shins. Honestly, the CCM Tacks line is amazing for someone who plays somewhat physical or for defensemen. I play D, so I end up in the way of shots fairly often. I also play in two somewhat physical men's leagues, and I don't feel a thing with the Tacks protective. I have put my Super Tacks shoulders in my closet for my old RBZ 110 shoulders, only because they were a bit of overkill for me. But if you play in a checking league, or want the best protection out there (IMHO), take a look at the ST. I had no issues with weight or mobility.

Yeah, I think for most people who are playing beer league the Super Tacks/Ultra Tacks line are overkill. However, the step down is perfect. Now I just need to get a hold of that new CCM girdle :)