Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caveman27

CCM junior skates for adults -question

So, I wear adult Bauer skates in size 6.0 D and am looking at the CCM skates that are of similar size. Going by blade length of my Bauers which is 254 mm, I would be wearing a CCM 5.5 youth skate. I would think youth skates aren't going to be as stiff as adult skates. 

Has anyone else done this? Fit into a CCM 5.5 youth skate because CCM 6.0 adult skate is not small enough?

In recent years, the transition sizes have been of the same quality as the adult counterpart. You may have to try a D and a EE to ensure fit. I’m not 100% sure about CCM, but Bauer puts larger holders on EE sizes, so a 5.5EE and 6D May share the same holder. 

The price difference alone makes it worth a try. 

FYI, size 5.5 isn't a youth skate. It's a junior. Youth skates, I believe, are those below size 1. 

Any way, enough of the nitpick. I wear size 4.5 Nexus 9000 juniors. I'm 5'5 and weight 175lbs, and have no issues with them being too soft. I really can't speak to how they compare with seniors skates because, well, I've always been too small for senior sizes, and yes I'm an adult. I'm on the ice at least 3 times a week, and my skates tend to last me at least 5 years. 

There are pros and cons to going down to juniors. I found, sizing can be a bit more tricky. For example. Ideally, I should be in Supremes. They fit profile matches me in every way, except because I'm in juniors, the volume isn't quite right, so lace bite is an issue with those skates. So I had to go with the Nexus line, which had more volume, but I had to modify my skates by thickening the lining so I could get a proper heel lock.

Another con is a lot of times I get strange looks from sales people when I tell them what size I want to try on, and they tell me those are kid's skates and I have to tell them, I know. Half the time they think I'm being a cheap skate, no pun intended, and trying to cram my feet into kids skates to save money. Sigh.

But if you fit juniors, skate pricing almost becomes a non-issue. $500 Canadian gets me any skate except the absolute top tier. If I wait for holiday sales, that drops to $400. I got my N9000s for $329. That's less than half of what it goes for in the senior size.

22 hours ago, caveman27 said:

So, I wear adult Bauer skates in size 6.0 D and am looking at the CCM skates that are of similar size. Going by blade length of my Bauers which is 254 mm, I would be wearing a CCM 5.5 youth skate. I would think youth skates aren't going to be as stiff as adult skates. 

Has anyone else done this? Fit into a CCM 5.5 youth skate because CCM 6.0 adult skate is not small enough?

For the RBZ, Tacks, Jetspeed and Rbk line up to 50k, CCM messed up the sizing. If you fit 6 Bauer then you got 5.5 CCM. I'm 6 Bauer and 5.5 in Jetspeeds. However the later lines of Super Tacks, Ultra Tacks, FT1, Rbk 70k etc are now the same as Bauer in sizing. 

Here the CCM rep talks about the sizing differences:

Manufacturers overbuild the 5/5.5 skates knowing that it would work for small adults.  

On 11/2/2017 at 9:19 AM, caveman27 said:

18 hours ago, puckpilot said:

FYI, size 5.5 isn't a youth skate. It's a junior. Youth skates, I believe, are those below size 1.

Knew this statement would make it here eventually after reading the first post. 

On 11/3/2017 at 10:06 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

Manufacturers overbuild the 5/5.5 skates knowing that it would work for small adults.  

What about the 4.5s and the extra width sizes...

My favorite pair of skates all time were Vapor XXX from 2005, size 7D.  My dress shoe size is 9D.  I had them forever, then they just stopped fitting comfortably, even though they were in fabulous shape, even after 11 years.

I then moved into Vapor X800 in a 6.5D, but they gave me lace bite and a Bauer bump.  I traded those in and got Supreme S160 Ignite SMU size 6D.  They were fine for about 30 skates, then they stopped fitting in the toe box.  Too narrow.

I traded those in for some Jetspeed Xtra Pro SMU from 2016 size 6D.  They felt good for a dozen skates, then broke in to the point where they felt too long.  I had to wear thicker socks, or an extra pair to make them feel tight like I like.  I still have them because they are decent skates and comfortable, but I need a tight skate.  

So I bought some top of line Jetspeeds from 2015-2016 brand new that the shop had in the back, for 300 bucks.  Size 5.5.  Yep, I wear a junior skate.  They are tight the way I like, and when they break in, they should feel just about right.  

So, four pairs of skates in one year.  But, I think they will be the last for at least a while.

Thanks for the responses. I'm new here and didn't know if I'd get any answers.

I've had Bauers in the last couple of years, and had a pair of Micron Mega's in the 1990s (those fit great), all in 6.0 D.

I'll check out some hockey stores this month when I can. I have Bauer Supreme 6000's which fit okay in the toe box and no lace bite, but I do get some ankle looseness in my right skate only when going backwards. And may switch to CCM if junior 5.5 fits because they are cheaper than senior skates of the same model.

Something to keep in mind Caveman.  

The current CCM (2017 line) seems to have gotten more in step with typical sizing.  The previous model Jetspeed seemed to run a half size bigger than their counterparts, and the Bauer line.  So, if you are looking to move into a junior, the previous model Jetspeed might be your best (or only) bet, that is, if your feet agree with the rest of the fit characteristics of that skate.

I tried on several pairs of size 6D Tacks and Jetspeeds from the most recent models of each, and they felt about right in size.  Just as a hunch, I asked my guy if he had any previous model Jetspeeds at 5.5 in the back, and after scrounging around, he emerged with a brand new pair of the top model 2015-2016 version.

These were 500 retail when they first came out.  He said I could have them for 300, and they even had the CCM custom footbed thrown in.  Well they fit, even slightly better than the newer size 6D models, so I bought them.

I got them exactly one week ago today, and have skated on them 5 times.  They are already starting to loosen up, as is typical of every skate I've ever bought.  This is why I always try to buy the smallest size I can stand.  

Everybody has a personal preference for the way they like their skates to fit.  

I like them to feel small and light on my feet.  Not only are they actually smaller and lighter, but psychologically, I feel faster and more nimble.  That goes way back to when I was 16 years old, and my dad stopped buying my skates for me, and I had to start buying my own.  I just got used to that feeling when buying them, knowing that they would eventually acquire slightly more room through regular use.

So, if you can find a previous model of the Jetspeed, start there.  If you are in a 6D Bauer, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to comfortably fit into a 5.5 Jetspeed.  And, as you said, they will be significantly less money too as a bonus.

I bought a pair of Ribcor 50K in 5.5 D and they turned out too tight Oddly enough, the skate boot's length and width were the same as the Bauer 6.0 D, but the toe box was shaped differently. There was initially pain on the side of my feet. When I tightened the lacing, it pushed the foot back, but then I had a lot of pain in the bottom middle of my foot. I returned those and got a pair of Jetspeed in 5.5 EE and they fit great.

Buying previous year's top-of-the-line junior CCM skates were much cheaper than previous year's adult CCM skates.$200 less.