Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Davideo

True Blade Durability?

I've been a consistent two piece stick user since the old Easton aluminums and recently set myself up with a True shaft and blade. It has been my favorite setup and I was going to buy a few more blades to have on hand. However, I wanted to get a bit more feedback on durability. I'd like to assume it was a fluke, but last night the blade snapped off just below the shaft at the start of its fourth use. Aside from a couple scratches it still looked pretty new and it broke on a poke check, so far from a high impact maneuver.

I don't think I've ever gotten less than 25 skates out the few dozen composite blades I've used over the years, so I'm hoping I can get some reassurance that this was just a fluke. I attached a picture.

1Oqe1ld.jpg

I'm interested as well. Right now, I have 3 A6.0 SBP shafts, one standard and other two tapered. The standard blade broke at the insert during my FIRST ice session :facepalm: (was coaching practice). This was over 2 months and I'm still waiting on True to fulfill the warranty due me ha. As for my tapered blades, I've only used them for one game (this past Tuesday). I had to switch sticks because the one became loose (I'm assuming/hoping its a lack of glue). It's been almost ten years since I've done the shaft+blade combo. Not exactly smoothing sailing early on but I want to give True a fair chance. Hopefully things will start to look better for me haha...

I had the exact same thing happen to me with two of their blades in the 6.0 shaft, unfortunately.  Definitely contact their warranty department about it, they were able to help me out.  Also, there are a couple True reps here on this board - if you need anymore info from me, shoot me a PM.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

I'm interested as well. Right now, I have 3 A6.0 SBP shafts, one standard and other two tapered. The standard blade broke at the insert during my FIRST ice session :facepalm: (was coaching practice). This was over 2 months and I'm still waiting on True to fulfill the warranty due me ha. As for my tapered blades, I've only used them for one game (this past Tuesday). I had to switch sticks because the one became loose (I'm assuming/hoping its a lack of glue). It's been almost ten years since I've done the shaft+blade combo. Not exactly smoothing sailing early on but I want to give True a fair chance. Hopefully things will start to look better for me haha...

I have the same issue with True and Warrior blades, about them being loose in the shaft.  Just get two strips of tape and vertically wrap them on the piece with the glue, one on top of the other, then heat it up that way and insert it.  Works like a charm.

Edited by Fletch

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

I had the exact same thing happen to me with two of their blades in the 6.0 shaft, unfortunately.  Definitely contact their warranty department about it, they were able to help me out.  Also, there are a couple True reps here on this board - if you need anymore info from me, shoot me a PM.

Will do. I reached out via email at the beginning of this week. If I don't here back soon, I'll send the PM. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

I have the same issue with True and Warrior blades, about them being loose in the shaft.  Just get two strips of tape and vertically wrap them on the piece with the glue, one on top of the other, then heat it up that way and insert it.  Works like a charm.

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Davideo said:

I've been a consistent two piece stick user since the old Easton aluminums and recently set myself up with a True shaft and blade. It has been my favorite setup and I was going to buy a few more blades to have on hand. However, I wanted to get a bit more feedback on durability. I'd like to assume it was a fluke, but last night the blade snapped off just below the shaft at the start of its fourth use. Aside from a couple scratches it still looked pretty new and it broke on a poke check, so far from a high impact maneuver.

I don't think I've ever gotten less than 25 skates out the few dozen composite blades I've used over the years, so I'm hoping I can get some reassurance that this was just a fluke. I attached a picture.

1Oqe1ld.jpg

Sorry to hear of the issue. You can reach out to our warranty department to discuss options warranty@truetemper.com.

• Like 1

I got it from someone who had a couple blades he hadn't used. So unfortunately no warranty coverage. I guess I'll get a couple more and hope for the best as I did really like it. The only thing I don't like is I live in the middle of nowhere and have to order online so I get a couple for free shipping, so really only the first one gets warranty coverage (unless I break two in 30 days...)

I had the same problem with every true blade I used. Very light and very stiff but ever single one broke at the hosel, even the warranty replacement. Two of the four broke within the first handful of shots.

Well, it sounds like a relatively common point of failure. I have two blades arriving next week and we'll see how they last. If they don't, it will be back to Warrior/Bauer for me, but I'm hoping they do.

I also noticed that the shaft portion of the standard True blades (basically from the ice to connection point) are longer than other brands necessitating fiddling with shaft extensions.

I had a couple of True A6.0 blades. They both snapped about 3/4 inch away from the top of the hosel. I think that the open top hosel is the problem. True customer support was great and they warrantied me out. Their blade had the best feel for 2 piece that I ever experienced, by far and way, and pretty much on par with the blade feel of my Tacks 7092 one piece (which I greatly appreciate). However, I think that the open top hosel may be the only one of its kind, and the lack of material there compromises the strength of the area around it. So, no more True blades for me, obviously.

I have one True A4.5 shaft and it's a tank and still going strong.

Edited by Cosmic

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

So good shafts but slipshod blades? Got it. I think I'll be done with this combo going forward.

There are two different generations of True blades, one short hosel, one long. I think the earlier ones were more the culprit for breaking

15 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

There are two different generations of True blades, one short hosel, one long. I think the earlier ones were more the culprit for breaking

Well that would be good. Except now I need to purchase an extension for my True shaft cut two weeks ago based on the old hosel height...there's another 20 bucks for essentially nothing. Is someone able to confirm this so I can get one ordered now and not have to wait till after the blades are delivered?

11 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I think the older ones were shorter

Thanks for the info. Well that is good in that I don't need to fiddle with extensions. Though it was a long hosel one that snapped on me.

On 11/3/2017 at 11:43 AM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Will do. I reached out via email at the beginning of this week. If I don't here back soon, I'll send the PM. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip!

On 11/3/2017 at 9:34 AM, Fletch said:

Here’s a photo of the method I use for this, in case anyone is interested.  The tape adds just enough thickness to make things a little more snug while still maintaining some adhesive properties in place of the glue that it’s covering.  

3w0VLhy.jpg

• Like 4

So I received the blades and the transition where the blade goes into the shaft is very uneven and looks like it was just crudely machined out. Obviously this makes for weird gaps when inserted into the shaft. I've never seen this on any other blades that I can recall. I don't know that it makes a difference beyond visually looking terrible. Is this normal? Is this an issue? It's certainly not what I would think a higher end blade should look like.

And both blades looked about the same. I didn't pay much attention until I inserted one and noticed it was nowhere near flush.

yU25zGv.jpg  cnul4WT.jpg

I'm still an active two-piece user, and True has the best combo on the market IMO with the A6.0. I've only used the short-hosel tapered blades and have not had these issues in over a year of use. The blades on my 1st gen XC9 and A6.0 OPS did wear rather quickly (sounds like this has been corrected with the 2nd gen from what I have read), but no complaints about the two-piece blade durability.

I just hope they continue to offer the HCS/Lidstrom pattern. Currently, they're the only manufacturer that offers it retail. 😬

• Like 1

As an interim update, I've had about 10 1.5 - 2 hr skates with the new True blade with no issue (aside from loosening up a bit, requiring two layers of tape on the blade). The performance continues to be outstanding.