Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Davideo

True Blade Durability?

I love the True 6.0 combo and I've used the first gen tapered and the 2nd gen standard combo (because they stopped making tapered). The first gen blades were good and lasted me a few months at least but the 2nd gen is ridiculous. 

I must have broken over 10 all in the same spot as the first poster. I just keep going back because there's no other option -- yeah Base is out there but they don't have a free shipping option, costs more, it takes like 6 weeks to finally get one blade, and it goes soft really fast.

My buddy used the same two piece setup and went through two true blades, one broke on his first game and the other four games in. Definitely a manufacturing flaw. He uses Bauer now with no issues. 

On the topic of snugness. I also use the tape method but also do this;

When you heat both the shaft and the blade they both expand. When u put the blade in a lot of excess glue is removed and when the stick and blade cools it'll leave some gaps. But if you heat only the shaft and allow the heat of the shaft to melt the glue on the hosel as you insert it, it won't take as much glue away since the hosel isn't expanded as well. Since the shaft is the only thing cooling and the hosel stays the same size, the shaft almost hugs the hosel as it cools.. alternatively, you can heat the shaft and use a lighter to heat only the glue on the hosel without actually heating the entire hosel area. 

Hope that made sense. 

Edited by Sniper9

On 11/15/2017 at 11:15 AM, leftwinger37 said:

I'm still an active two-piece user, and True has the best combo on the market IMO with the A6.0. I've only used the short-hosel tapered blades and have not had these issues in over a year of use. The blades on my 1st gen XC9 and A6.0 OPS did wear rather quickly (sounds like this has been corrected with the 2nd gen from what I have read), but no complaints about the two-piece blade durability.

I just hope they continue to offer the HCS/Lidstrom pattern. Currently, they're the only manufacturer that offers it retail. 😬

The HCS is an absolute gem and my favourite pattern. It's listed as lie 5.5, but it's actually closer to 5.0. No other company makes a lie 5 Lidstrom. The only alternative for a low lie heel curve is BASE's BH23 Drury in lie 4.75.

On 7/3/2019 at 4:17 AM, kkancho said:

I love the True 6.0 combo and I've used the first gen tapered and the 2nd gen standard combo (because they stopped making tapered). The first gen blades were good and lasted me a few months at least but the 2nd gen is ridiculous. 

I must have broken over 10 all in the same spot as the first poster. I just keep going back because there's no other option -- yeah Base is out there but they don't have a free shipping option, costs more, it takes like 6 weeks to finally get one blade, and it goes soft really fast.

Not sure about how the base blades are now but when I used base when they first came out they blades lasted forever. Never has one break on me for ice hockey. Only time it got soft etc was during roller hockey which is inevitable. 

On 7/3/2019 at 4:17 AM, kkancho said:

I've had basically the same experience. I really like the feel and weight of the standard combo but they pretty much all break in the same spot (at the hosel) within a few games/weeks. I had one break during the second shift of using it in a beer league game. In total, I've gone through about 7-10 of blades and 3 shafts (1 shaft broke, 2 are good). What really bugs me is I had two break which got approved for replacement but after I sent them in, they only sent me one back. They never responded to any followup emails or calls. I no longer use them.

Edited by calixguy18

For those who did their warranty submission online, did you receive an email saying it was approved etc. Or did the product just show up at your door?