Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jlird808

What/when to eat/drink before a game for most energy?

40 year old player getting back on the ice after 15 years off. My endurance is definitely what needs the most work!

That said, I've noticed that in some games I'm still charging hard in the 3rd period while in other games I'm literally gassing out in the 1st!! I'm wondering if that swing in energy levels has to do with what/when/how I ate/drank the day of the game or even right up to the game.

What are some tips on game-day diet? I heard a goalie tell me to pound Gatorade an hour before the game & drink water during. I've heard others talk about energy drinks before games, but drink lots of water during games to keep from crashing.

Other thoughts/ideas?

THANKS!

Edited by jlird808
  • Like 2

Everyone is different. I need to eat solid food 2 hours b4 a game. A friend of mine won't eat 6 hours before a game. 

Definitely drink water during the day of a game. 

Edited by SirJW
  • Like 3

I’m good as long as I’ve had enough time for the food to be digested. Immediately after eating is never good. 

A couple Advil so my back doesn’t hurt and water. 

I need to drink more water during the day (regardless of game day or not) and during a game I really should have two bottles. I don’t drink nearly enough.

• Like 1

For me it was always, eat healthy and balanced throughout the day (with lots of carbs) and a bowl of chicken noodle soup (more carbs) about 2-3 hours before game time.  I still had my "on" and "off" nights, but with 2-3 hours of cardio-centric exercise per week and plenty of rest on game day, I was almost always ready to keep playing after the game was over, despite the fact that I used to smoke 1-2 packs a day.

That was almost 10 years ago...  now I'm pushing 40 and just get whatever food and rest my schedule allows.  5 years away from the game and just getting back into it this summer, my endurance is fine (exercising less, but quit smoking) - but I'm not as strong on the puck, or as quick with my hands or feet as I used to be...

• Like 1

42 here, and game time is normally Sunday evenings.

Lunch is normally some Asian spicy food depending on what the wife wants to eat. She's very petite (4'11 vs my 6' frame) so she doesnt eat much. I normally just finish what she cant eat. 1.5 hours before the game I might have a PB&J, otherwise its just a choc bar or banana, and plenty of water in the car to the rink.

Edit. Forgot to mention that my team is part-sponsored by a place that does fried chicken. So if we have an early game, we convene at the joint to partake in some beer and wings.

Edited by fatwabbit
  • Like 2

For me, it's less about eating. Don't get me wrong, some carbs and/or a little something something a couple of hours before does me some good. BUT for me, the most important thing is getting a nice warm up before I hit the ice. Get the blood flowing, muscles moving, etc. I try to get to the rink at least 45 min before a game--idealy and hour. I do some stickhandling with a ball, and then I do some foot work, cariokas, a few lunges, jumping jacks anything that gets my feet moving, so I get a light sweat and can feel my heart pumping.. 

Five minutes of warm up on the ice is not enough for me. With that limited time, the engine is cold and definitely not ready to go.

• Like 2

I always try to drink at least one beer in the locker room while getting dressed.  Sometimes 2, if the game before is going long.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

A good diet all year around is essential for performance.. I dont make any changes in my diet during gamedays or practicedays compared to days off other than pre-game supplementation..

8hrs before practice i take 2 capsules of ”Beet Speed” (beet root powder and nitrate)  and 3 grams beta alanine. Both supplements help the Blood vessels to relax which means better oxygen transportation and less lactic acid.. 30min prior practice/game i repeat the process but this time i also add ”High5 Energy Source” sport drink (fast and slow carbs with minerals)..

During games/practice i drink water and between periods in games i might down a small package of energy gel with added caffeine and electrolytes.. 

• Like 2

Gatorade and energy packs etc are really meant for long-endurance sports, not short-term high intensity burst sports like hockey and are really nothing but sugar with some salts. It takes 30 minutes+ before anything hits your bloodstream, so by the time you've drunk it or eaten anything, it's too late. I drink flavoured water, only because I don't like plain water during a game, even then mine's usually a few sips and that's it.. If you notice many of the nhl players spit their water / gatorade out.. 

If you're gassed at the beginning of a game, it might be because you've eaten too much, too close to the game - I've noticed this hugely if I eat and then play within an hour or 2 of a game, I feel like I'm skating with weights on. Digesting food takes a lot of energy (that's why you fall asleep after eating Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner, because of lots of calories and nothing to do with anything like tryptophan). I play 4-5 times a week, and I'll eat a fairly light meal minimum 3 hours before a game. On the way to a game, then I'll grab a drip or regular coffee and a banana. I keep track of HR and I've found now that I can play pretty intensely right up until the final whistle by playing more tactically in the first period, ramping it up in the second, and then going hard in the third.. Quite a few times I'm sharing centre, so playing 50% of the game and lots of ice.

It might be best to keep a log of what you did, and how you feel during a game.. 

• Like 1

I play in the morning on Sunday's. Usually a bowl of oatmeal, a banana, one cup of coffee, and a string cheese. On my way to the rink, 3 Advil, a sugar free Redbull, and water. Then follow up with a beer or two after game or at home in the shower. 

On 07/11/2017 at 8:28 AM, dkmiller3356 said:

Hydrate during the day.  Complex carbs at lunch.  Very light at dinner at least 3-4 hours before.

On 15/11/2017 at 12:50 AM, RickDC said:

Gatorade and energy packs etc are really meant for long-endurance sports, not short-term high intensity burst sports like hockey and are really nothing but sugar with some salts. It takes 30 minutes+ before anything hits your bloodstream, so by the time you've drunk it or eaten anything, it's too late. I drink flavoured water, only because I don't like plain water during a game, even then mine's usually a few sips and that's it.. If you notice many of the nhl players spit their water / gatorade out.. 

If you're gassed at the beginning of a game, it might be because you've eaten too much, too close to the game - I've noticed this hugely if I eat and then play within an hour or 2 of a game, I feel like I'm skating with weights on. Digesting food takes a lot of energy (that's why you fall asleep after eating Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner, because of lots of calories and nothing to do with anything like tryptophan). I play 4-5 times a week, and I'll eat a fairly light meal minimum 3 hours before a game. On the way to a game, then I'll grab a drip or regular coffee and a banana. I keep track of HR and I've found now that I can play pretty intensely right up until the final whistle by playing more tactically in the first period, ramping it up in the second, and then going hard in the third.. Quite a few times I'm sharing centre, so playing 50% of the game and lots of ice.

It might be best to keep a log of what you did, and how you feel during a game.. 

For game day nutrition, these guys pretty much have it down. Hydration leading up to game time is important, and consume a carb-laden meal 2-4hrs before.

I will say this though - energy drinks will work for sporting activity lasting >1h. Even then, you don't want to drink everything, or you'll feel too full. In sports science, this is what we do for our teams: one bottle of water and one bottle of energy drink for each athlete per game. Water to be drunk throughout the game in sips, energy drink to be swished in the mouth and spat out. According to some research, just tasting the energy drink is enough to trick the brain into thinking it is consuming carbs and make the body feel more energetic.

I can't comment about tactics, but short shifts go a long way. Gas yourself out in the first period and you'll suffer the next two.

Edited by salibandy
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Im in the 40 year old club too. so here's what i usually do

2 hours before game. Light in small portions. I feel ill when skating on full stomach. grilled chicken , rice and veggies

1 hour before game a cup of coffee meduim, black with a sugar packet or two.  Maybe a beer

:30 minutes before game energy gel 

Post game: some sort of recovery drink.  Chocolate milk and bananas oranges OR some supplement type AND beer

Edited by Goonsquad
  • Like 1

I'm also a bike racer, so I'm pretty up to date on the basics of performance nutrition. In a nutshell, no solid  food you eat 2 hours before a game will have any beneficial effects. It just sits in your stomach because you don't have time to metabolize it. Best thing to do before a game to feel optimal is get a good stretch and have a cup of coffee right before going into the dressing room.  For recovery, a beer actually doesn't hurt, as long as alcohol level is below 5%.

Edited by clarkiestooth

On 12/11/2017 at 2:33 AM, EJB said:

I always try to drink at least one beer in the locker room while getting dressed.  Sometimes 2, if the game before is going long.

Great strategy 🍻 !!! 

Are you boys drafting this season ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Dudes

So tonight I had a rough game energy-wise. I didn't feel as much motivation to chase the puck, get open, etc. I am not in the best shape for sure, but I've played much better than this lately. There were a couple of factors to this, but to shorten things the main reason I'd say is that I didn't get a whole lot to eat today (tried to take this home-made pre-workout my wife has to compensate.. didn't work so well)

I know my nutrition today didn't help for this at all before I get a response about that.. I was just wondering what you guys eat before a game or if there's any supplements you use that help you get amped up... besides cocaine.

Thanks guys

I gain nourishment and energy from eating the souls of my enemies.  

Really, I’ll eat a good protein and carb source 3 or 4 hours before a game.  Then in the dressing room I’ll sip on BioSteel.  

I guess I never experimented from the energy standpoint- I’m a healthy eater by nature.  My game day concerns are to avoid heartburn or a serious shit cramp erupting in the second period.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pocketmonster18 said:

My game day concerns are to avoid heartburn or a serious shit cramp erupting in the second period.  

Hahhah. A high level player on one of my teams says that eating a banana helps with this. Something in the banana makes your bowels tighten up so uhhh... less sloshing in around. I find my trigger is having a little too much liquid before or during the game. 

I played in a league where games were scheduled between 7 PM to 11 PM on weekdays and games could be as early as 10:30 AM or late as 10 PM on the weekends. 

Main thing I do is drink a lot of water during the day, and before the game, I would drink pedialyte. I read some NHL player did that. Ate a small meal at least 3 to 4 hours before a game.

• Like 1

I prefer to not eat for a couple of hours prior to game.  Hydrate well early in the day, and a couple of beers before the start of the game, plus a couple of beers after.  I stick to Pabst Blue Ribbon as my hockey beer.  It's the only time I drink it.  I don't know when/where that started.  I drink much better beer any other time.