Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeygeartester

STX HPR Elbow Pads

I've tried these on in store multiple times, they're on the top of my radar for when I replace my current elbow pads (CCM RBZ's).  I don't know what extra protection you're referring to but can say, in store, they were very mobile and felt pretty awesome.  I love my RBZ's (had Vector 08's before these which are essentially the same), but my biggest complaint about the RBZ's is how short they are which leaves a lot of forearm unprotected.  I love the 3 piece design that both the RBZ and HPR's use (I can't go back to a 2pc design), and am really attracted to the slightly longer forearm protection on the HPR's (as well as the added little slashguard on the top model).  The sleeve design on the HPR is interesting (and very common in lacrosse elbow pads from what I can tell) but my only concern is the lack of a criss-cross style strap that goes across the ditch of the elbow which I found really helps keep my RBZ's in place.  Once these go on sale I might have to treat myself, then I can give a more in depth and hands on review.

i don't have these but i have the STX Surgeon 500 elbows which are really similar, they are the best elbows i have ever had ( coming from CCM U+ CL) they don't budge at all.I have used them for a year and they have never moved when i have been playing, i wouldn't worry about the lack of cross strap.i don't think the extra bit of protection would effect any range of motion it would just cover the little gap that is left between your elbow and cuff of your glove on the outside of your wrist.

11 hours ago, GQRDY said:

i don't have these but i have the STX Surgeon 500 elbows which are really similar, they are the best elbows i have ever had ( coming from CCM U+ CL) they don't budge at all.I have used them for a year and they have never moved when i have been playing, i wouldn't worry about the lack of cross strap.i don't think the extra bit of protection would effect any range of motion it would just cover the little gap that is left between your elbow and cuff of your glove on the outside of your wrist.

I'll second GQRDY's comments.  My Surgeon 500s are hands down my favorite elbows ever.  Very comfortable, they don't budge at all, and super protective.  

I bought this elbow pads and used 2wice on the ice.

Definitely it can be said "mobile". But I want to say strongly that STX should take more measures for slip prevention.

This elbow's holding ability is too bad. It will slip down to hand if you will skate 2~3 steps. 
This elbow doesn't have enough band/straps for slip prevention. There is just sleeve type gimmick only. 360 strap is not for it. It's is just for tying forearm protection so not work for slip prevention. Of course sleeve doesn't have such enough power.

I can't understand that position and its meaning of sleeve's hole which you can see just above of elbow joint. Generally, designing of current hockey protectors usually have hole but it's a measure for that "receive" some swelling part of our human body.
Oppositely the gum strap which sewed into sleeve come to top of upper arm. So this gum strap will move down to elbow joint and its power work for slide down the elbow pad.

I already decided not to use this elbow.
Sizing was exactly the same as CCM. I was satisfied with size M (168cm).

Those comparing the elbow pad to the RBZ, is it similar in weight too? I too would be concerned switching from the RBZ to these, since I love how they anchor to my elbow. I didn't like the sleeve on the Surgeons so likely wouldn't like them on this model either.

Stewie - they have these in the Livonia Perani's if you want to try them on. I tried them, but still prefer my 2012 Projekts. They felt a touch heavier than the RBZ and not quite as flexible. They feel like a slightly beefed up version of the Surgeon 500 pads. They also seemed to have a bit more volume than the Surgeon pads.

For me, nothing on the market is as comfortable as the Warrior Projekts. I do see than Tron has Velocity X pads that look like a knock off of the 2012 Projekts (not exactly the same, but very similar) and they had a 50% off code for the Velocity X line the other day. I haven't tried the knock offs and have a good stockpile of Projekts, but if I didn't I would be tempted to try them: http://www.hockeytron.com/Tron-X-Velocity-Senior-Hockey-Elbow-Pads.html

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

Stewie - they have these in the Livonia Perani's if you want to try them on. I tried them, but still prefer my 2012 Projekts. They felt a touch heavier than the RBZ and not quite as flexible. They feel like a slightly beefed up version of the Surgeon 500 pads. 

For me, nothing on the market is still as comfortable as the Warrior Projekts. I do see than Tron has Velocity X pads that look like a knock off of the 2012 Projekts (not exactly the same, but similar) and they had a 50% off code for the Velocity X line the other day. I haven't tried the knock offs and have a good stockpile of Projekts, but if I didn't I would be tempted to try them: http://www.hockeytron.com/Tron-X-Velocity-Senior-Hockey-Elbow-Pads.html

thanks man! I know peranis has been pushing the STX stuff, so ill check the local one here. Not expecting to like them, however. Hard for me to quit the RBZ