Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Heel lifts vs Steel profiling

Heel lift vs Steel Profiling 

Right now I’m in 1S customs. I have volume issues that force me out of a Vapor boot even though that’s my boot of choice. I am considering adding a heel lift to give me a better forward pitch but also profiling my steel. The problem with steel profiling is that it’s expensive and tricky if you don’t have the same guy sharpening your skates. My skates fit very well, I just feel a bit flat footed when accelerating from a complete stop and superfeet aren’t an option because my boot is so aggressively fit (superfeet will take too much volume and I will get lace bite). I’m in a 8.25 (left) and 8.0 (right) with 280s and LS4 Steel. Thoughts?

The steel should last a long time.  You could always give it a forward pitch by +0.5 increments, whoever is doing it for you will likely not charge you if you wanted to go more in the future.  If you shim it you will have to figure out the amount and pay for the labour to do it, they will charge you if you ever wanted to increase or decrease after that also.

It seems you’ve essentially answered your own question. You can’t use lifts inside the skate and you’d rather not go the Steel profile route, only one option left, shimming the holder.

There is no simple answer, both ways have advantages / disadvantages. But I would recommend you start with a shim, it gives you a consistent base to work from to discover what you like the best. Then, once settled and if you want, you can start to experiment with combos and pitches to replicate or fine tune what you are after.

My 1S boot is Stock stiffness (#2) with traditional eyelets, non flex tendon and +1 quarters and facing. There’s no room for superfeet but I’m using speed plates just fine. I just need a little push without worrying about one bad sharpening ruining a profile. 

10 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Do some plyometrics. Or install heel lifts. 

Where can I buy these plyometrics you speak of? They sound great, they would need to be custom or pro stock though. 

Shims do work fine, however when a hack sharpener alters your steel's pitch and pivot point, then what are you going to do?  If you don't know are you going to mess around and change shims?  Or, have them radiused to fix them?  So, better just to radius them from the beginning.

Hi The blade profiling has more to do with flat on the ice and center of gravity.  It's moving that spot forward or back  . A higher heal or lower heal will change your forward position on the center of gravity.   

How do you skate : long sweeping strides or choppy with lots of cutting and lateral movement.?     It sounds like there much flat on the ice for you . The skate blade probably came in a 9'  radious or bigger.     

Something I have noticed with tuuk blades is they have too much steel on the nose and heals . 

1.5"-2" from the front forward and rear back  have some metal taken off .I do 8-10 passes try it . I'm in Albany N.Y. area if you're close I can do it for you 

15 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Hi The blade profiling has more to do with flat on the ice and center of gravity.  It's moving that spot forward or back  . A higher heal or lower heal will change your forward position on the center of gravity.   

How do you skate : long sweeping strides or choppy with lots of cutting and lateral movement.?     It sounds like there much flat on the ice for you . The skate blade probably came in a 9'  radious or bigger.     

Something I have noticed with tuuk blades is they have too much steel on the nose and heals . 

1.5"-2" from the front forward and rear back  have some metal taken off .I do 8-10 passes try it . I'm in Albany N.Y. area if you're close I can do it for you 

I play the off wing and take longer strides generally, not a lot of crossovers and definitely not doing a to of choppy direction change at speed. My LS4 Steel has quite a bit left on it.